port fees and taxes

woof359

were going on an Alaska cruise in June our first cruise, I have been reading about port fees and taxes, what are they ? Thanks

Your booking should have them listed. If you want a line item breakdown you would probably need to contact your cruise line.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

There are a couple of ship's officers and pursers who occasionally post on these boards--and even they cannot give a perfect definition.

Oversimplifying as best I can, I take them to be certain fixed expenses associated with the cruise line doing business with the government and quasi-government agencies that administer the ports that each ship calls at. And based on current commerce regulations of the nation(s) of the cruise line's corporate footprint, the cruise line is allowed to "break out" those expenses from the cruise fare as an additional line item (thus excluding their cost from the initial advertised price). Which allows the cruise line to calculate an estimated amount for each itinerary at the time bookings open and divide that amount by passenger capacity, thus assessing the same amount to all passengers regardless of cabin level. It also allows the cruise line to include the clause that "Government taxes and fees are estimated at the time of booking and subject to change" so that the amount may actually be different when you make final payment--or even after you board (an adjustment may be made on your shipboard account).

Whether the current method is fair, or these expenses should be part of the cruise fare (and locked in at time of booking) is a topic for another day. Jut note that the current system of all passengers paying the same means that those booked in the lower cabin categories are paying a noticeably higher percentage of their total cost towards "taxes and fees" that those living the suite life on board.

Edited by fishywood

ill check out cruise line but do you pay every time your in a port of call and get off the ship or are they just part of the bill upfront ? Thanks,

I see a lot of reading ahead for us

It's part of your bill. If you've already paid your deposit, the taxes and fees should show up on your booking.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Try typing "cruise port fees" into Google. Really easy.

https://blog.shermanstravel.com/2014/cruise-taxes-explained/

DON

The above link contains a good list of what "Government Fee and Taxes" include.

But then the author totally messes up the "So what exactly can you expect to pay" section of the article by co-mingling the terms taxes and fees and port charges the latter term being travel agent speak for the non-commissionable portion of the cruise fare. So we actually have no idea if the dollar examples she gives are reflective of the Government Taxes and Fees as charged by the cruise line or of the TA practice of listing the "port charges" as an extra rather than as part of the fare; the cruise lines are prohibited from doing so when you book directly with them.