Getaway - Vibe questi0n

cruizecrazygramma

We have stayed in a Balcony Stateroom and also in the Haven the second time. Preparing for the first, we arrived hours ahead of schedule just to get Vibe passes. We were next to the last to get them. WE LOVED THE VIBE. On that cruise, the MIX of people, and the Vibe staff/bar were fantastic.

We couldn't imagine going back on one of these ships without it, and we had a great offer (that took some effort to get such honored by a replacement NCL PCC) for the Haven (Spa). Since we boarded almost first (all online was completed) we casually walked to Guest Services and were the first to get VIBE passes (for the week).

We went to the Haven for the welcome, it was GREAT. We were impressed with the Haven in all respects; lounge, dining, bar, pool, hot tubs, upper deck lounging, service everywhere and Concierge. It really was a blast.

On the second day we went to the VIBE to check it out. It was very loud, several couples traveling together were very loud and heavy drinking and salty language. It was a completely different experience than our prior sailing as the MIX of people was completely different.

Later in the day we decided to free up our VIBE passes so that others could partake in the experience. We told them why, didn't ask for a refund and they said someone would be happy. They said the VIBE passes and popularity were actually causing too many people to be disappointed at the beginning of the cruise. A hospitality officer joined the discussion asked for thoughts. We stated they could offer "days up to" or "identified days" or "identified times AM PM etc." and they could then accommodate 3-5 times the number of people with an experience versus a limited number of people the entire block yet not really there more than 2-4 hours at a time.

Thereafter, the Concierge in the Haven said he was notified we gave up the VIBE passes and he thanked us and said he would secure a credit for the passes we paid for. I said it wasn't necessary, but he said it was only fair and appreciative of not tying up the passes that wouldn't be used.

For us, we would not go again unless we could get the Haven (the prices now are $1,000-$1,500 per person higher than when we went). Trying to book again has been unsuccessful, yet we would not huge vacancies in the Haven; especially the Haven SPA staterooms. After contacting our NCL PCC about the vacancies (1-2 weeks out) she could not negotiate more than a couple of $100 dollars; that they would be doing upgrades (later upsells and now bidding).

So, it appears to us the issue is pricing. If the Haven is overpriced (which we believe it currently is; especially the SPA class) then the current bidding extravaganza will likely not solve the problem (in our opinion for us). Why would anyone book the Haven ahead of time at full price only to have a abutter stateroom for someone who upbid from another Stateroom for $100's to $1,000's maybe less?

Or, WILL WE NOW SEE BIDDING FOR VIBE PASSES?

Oh well, we've 'moved on and are giving the Yacht Club on the MSC Divina a B2B try soon. The combined cost, including the Yacht Club Beverages Benefit, for the two cruises is about the same as what one cruise in the Haven would have been. We'll get to compare after.

When someone states that "they just shouldn't be allowed to have both..", that isn't a complaint about the process.

I don't think that it is unfair for someone to use what they are given. If someone (for whatever reason) is given priority boarding, they should be able to use it. Blaming the process shouldn't be cause to blame those who benefit from it. If anything, NCL should receive the blame, not Haven guests, CAS, etc.

Even those with spa access (whether through stateroom choice or purchased) should also be allowed to have VIBE access. It isn't being greedy to want 2 different things.

If VIBE passes are given via random draw, new problems would arise. There is no process that would make everyone happy.

When someone states that "they just shouldn't be allowed to have both..", that isn't a complaint about the process.

I do sort of agree that they shouldn't be allowed to have both. I can't really come up with a way of arguing for that, but after all, it's just an opinion and I don't have to. Perhaps the Haven should include it's own adults-only section, or at least make sure it is a quiet, serene place.

I don't think that it is unfair for someone to use what they are given. If someone (for whatever reason) is given priority boarding, they should be able to use it. Blaming the process shouldn't be cause to blame those who benefit from it.

This is an overgeneralization and is only true some of the time. If a rule, process, loophole, etc. is truly egregious, then anyone who uses it is, in my opinion, equally at fault.

I do sort of agree that they shouldn't be allowed to have both.

Does the same apply to those with spa access? They already have an exclusive/adult-only area. Are they being "greedy" by having both? I don't believe that they are.

I can't really come up with a way of arguing for that, but after all, it's just an opinion and I don't have to.

There is probably a reason why it is difficult to support....

Perhaps the Haven should include it's own adults-only section, or at least make sure it is a quiet, serene place.

I agree on both but until then....there is VIBE.

If NCL made Getaway/Breakaway deck 17 forward port side sundeck Haven-only (like deck 19 on Bliss) and adult-only, people would complain about that.

If a rule, process, loophole, etc. is truly egregious, then anyone who uses it is, in my opinion, equally at fault.

Strongly disagree.

Those with priority boarding didn't create the situation. They aren't "at fault" for anything. NCL makes the rules just as NCL decided to allow suite guests to book dinner reservations sooner. Are suite guests "at fault" if all of the 8pm online reservations are taken 99 days before boarding? Non-suite guests would have to wait until boarding/ship wi-fi to make an 8pm reservation and even then, might not get the 8pm reservation. The people who miss out on the 8pm reservation shouldn't blame those who have an 8pm reservation.

The anger/disappointment should be directed towards NCL.

Does the same apply to those with spa access? They already have an exclusive/adult-only area. Are they being "greedy" by having both? I don't believe that they are.

There is probably a reason why it is difficult to support....

I agree on both but until then....there is VIBE.

If NCL made Getaway/Breakaway deck 17 forward port side sundeck Haven-only (like deck 19 on Bliss) and adult-only, people would complain about that.

Strongly disagree.

Those with priority boarding didn't create the situation. They aren't "at fault" for anything. NCL makes the rules just as NCL decided to allow suite guests to book dinner reservations sooner. Are suite guests "at fault" if all of the 8pm online reservations are taken 99 days before boarding? Non-suite guests would have to wait until boarding/ship wi-fi to make an 8pm reservation and even then, might not get the 8pm reservation. The people who miss out on the 8pm reservation shouldn't blame those who have an 8pm reservation.

The anger/disappointment should be directed towards NCL.

I think I've said all I care to on the subject. We can argue it until we are both blue in the face, but what's the point in that? Your opinion is right, and my opinion is right. You're missing my point, and I yours. Agree to disagree.

The reality of it is that I probably won't even sail NCL again, so I won't spend any more time on this subject. I apologize to the OP for veering so far off topic!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Vibe passes should be avaialable on line to any guest regardless of cabin status. First come first served.

Cabana option.

Non cabana option.

Buy for the week only.

After that whatever day passes remain on line are like any other dining venue...

Hit or miss.

Vibe passes should be avaialable on line to any guest regardless of cabin status. First come first served.

Even if VIBE passes were made available online, the same complaints would probably soon follow. More than likely, suite guests would be able to book VIBE access before non-suite guests just like with dinner reservations.

If that happens, those who miss out would likely (wrongly) blame suite guests instead of NCL.

Even if VIBE passes were made available online, the same complaints would probably soon follow. More than likely, suite guests would be able to book VIBE access before non-suite guests just like with dinner reservations.

If that happens, those who miss out would likely (wrongly) blame suite guests instead of NCL.

Not all Haven guest book Vibe,only the greedy ones.

Not all Haven guest book Vibe,only the greedy ones.

Calling Haven guests who get VIBE passes "greedy" is like calling those with Spa access (adult-only and exclusive) who get VIBE passes "greedy".

Calling Haven guests who get VIBE passes "greedy" is like calling non-suite guests who can access Spice H2O (adult-only sundeck) who get VIBE access "greedy".

How dare people get whatever they are able to get to make their vacation better. :rolleyes:

Exclusively for those 18 and over, Vibe Beach Club is resplendent with ocean views, an oversized hot tub, chaise loungers and a relaxing water feature – ideal for easing away every last bit of stress.

A full-service bar, water spritzers, chilled towels and skewers of fruit ease you even more into serenity.

A limited number of passes will be available for purchase each sailing for all guests.

Hours of Operation: 7:00am - 11:00pm (subject to change)

Vibe Beach Club is not complimentary to Haven Suite guests.

Day access passes will be $25 per person

Week access passes will be $99 per person

Full Sea Day Cabana Rentals – $99 for two guests

(includes one day pass and $30 food and beverage credit to be used in Vibe only)

Additional guests will be required to buy a day pass

Full Port Day Cabana Rental - $79 for two guests

(includes one day pass and $30 food and beverage credit to be used in Vibe only)

Full Cruise Cabana Rental - $329 for two guests

(includes one week pass and $100 food and beverage credit to be used in Vibe only)

Additional guests will be required to purchase a one week pass

Calling Haven guests who get VIBE passes "greedy" is like calling those with Spa access (adult-only and exclusive) who get VIBE passes "greedy".

Calling Haven guests who get VIBE passes "greedy" is like calling non-suite guests who can access Spice H2O (adult-only sundeck) who get VIBE access "greedy".

How dare people get whatever they are able to get to make their vacation better. :rolleyes:

It is one thing to get whatever you can get to make your vacation better, and it is another to do so in excess and not think about others who would like to have a good vacation also. No there is not enough for everyone, but if Haven guess were able to control their children so other guess can enjoy the area provided for them there wouldn't be an issue. Also the Haven guess can go to spice H2O if they want an adult area and they will have one reserved area and access to one adult only area. This will leave more spaces for other guest who would like to enjoy their vacation with a reserved area as well. No there are not enough spaces for everyone but more people would have a reserved area and not just a few Haven guest.

The spa is a therapeutic area meant for individual rest and relaxation. It is not a place to eat, drink and enjoy friends and family. Thankfully guest of the spa were thoughtful of other guest and did not occupy the loungers for extended periods of time and everyone was able to enjoy the spa.

Exclusively for those 18 and over, Vibe Beach Club is resplendent with ocean views, an oversized hot tub, chaise loungers and a relaxing water feature – ideal for easing away every last bit of stress.

A full-service bar, water spritzers, chilled towels and skewers of fruit ease you even more into serenity.

A limited number of passes will be available for purchase each sailing for all guests.

Hours of Operation: 7:00am - 11:00pm (subject to change)

Vibe Beach Club is not complimentary to Haven Suite guests.

Day access passes will be $25 per person

Week access passes will be $99 per person

Full Sea Day Cabana Rentals – $99 for two guests

Full Port Day Cabana Rental - $79 for two guests

Full Cruise Cabana Rental - $329 for two guests

(includes one week pass and $100 food and beverage credit to be used in Vibe only)

Additional guests will be required to purchase a one week pass

Not sure what your point is. We know it is not complimentary to Haven guest. Aren't the services provides in the Haven relaxing?

It is one thing to get whatever you can get to make your vacation better, and it is another to do so in excess and not think about others who would like to have a good vacation also.

Who determines what is "in excess"?

What you feel is "in excess" may not be universal nor apply to everyone.

No there is not enough for everyone, but if Haven guess were able to control their children so other guess can enjoy the area provided for them there wouldn't be an issue.

Using that logic, the same could be said for the general pool area. If guests were able to "control their children", there wouldn't be a "need" for Spice H2O.

Also the Haven guess can go to spice H2O if they want an adult area and they will have one reserved area and access to one adult only area. This will leave more spaces for other guest who would like to enjoy their vacation with a reserved area as well.

Non-Haven guests who don't have VIBE access can ALSO go to Spice H2O for an adult-only area. There is no guarantee of an exclusive area for each passenger. Some guests will go the entire cruise without access to an exclusive area.

People aren't limited to only 1 exclusive area (see below).

The spa is a therapeutic area meant for individual rest and relaxation. It is not a place to eat, drink and enjoy friends and family.

It is also exclusive giving those with Spa access 2 exclusive areas if they also have VIBE access. There is nothing wrong with having Spa access (limited number) and VIBE access (limited number), right? Is it "in excess" to have 2 exclusive areas (Spa and VIBE) or (VIBE and Haven)?

Thankfully guest of the spa were thoughtful of other guest and did not occupy the loungers for extended periods of time and everyone was able to enjoy the spa.

Not "everyone". Those without Spa access did not. They had to find somewhere else just as those without VIBE access had to find somewhere else.

Perhaps, they should give Haven adults automatic admission to VIBE and sell a few passes to a posh area to other guests on a first come/first serve basis. Would that be Epic?

I was making the point that the situation on Epic is an alternative to the situation on GA/BA/Escape. Which situation would you prefer?

Not familiar with the posh situation. I had a wonderful time on the Getaway without vibe or the Haven. It just would have made it a little nicer to have a designated meeting spot. If I ever sail her again I will just get there earlier.

• 11 months later...

Sorry to bump up an old post. We are staying in a Haven spa suite on the Breakaway over Easter break, so we expect a lot of kids on board, everywhere. Yes, we’ll have access to the Haven sun deck and pool. Yes, we’ll have access to the spa. Be that as it may, we’ll also be purchasing Vibe passes as soon as we board (hopefully get the chance to get a cabana actually).

Not sure how our doing so is unfair, greedy or selfish. We work hard all year and save our money so that we can treat ourselves without maxing out a credit card in the process. I’ve always wanted to fly first class. We can’t afford that but don’t begrudge those that can. I’ve always wanted to buy a souped up sports car, parked in a five car garage, attached to a mansion in the Hamptons. That will never happen, yet I’m not going to think those that can are “greedy”. If you think so, you’re entitled to think what you like. Like you, I have an opinion, and it differs from yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by RickinNYC

Sorry to bump up an old post.
But are you? Then why do it?

buy a souped up sports car, parked in a five car garage, attached to a mansion in the Hamptons. That will never happen, yet I’m not going to think those that can are “greedy”.
I certainly respect your opinion, but your analogy is missing a major component. Say for a moment that your neighborhood is offering 100 prime parking spots in a newly constructed parking garage. Mr. Hamptons jumps in and buys one of the spots, because he feels there are too many children in his house/garage, making for One less available spot for the others in the neighborhood. Is he greedy or selfish? Those are strong words, but I lean toward 'yes'.

I thoroughly enjoyed our time spent in Vibe last year. Without it, the cruise wouldn't have been nearly as good (well, Vibe and Specialty restaurants every night).

It still boggles my mind a little how much some people pay to stay in The Haven. Personally, I would put that money toward sailing with a more upscale cruise line. Just my opinion.

Edited by stickey_mouse

I do live in a nice house, drive a nice car and can afford to stay in the Haven if that is what I wanted to do. I agree with sticky mouse that it is over priced. The reason I think it is unfair is because you are allowed to board the ship first and you already have a less crowed place to spend time. Greedy for the same reason.

Now back to planning my 2 weeks in Hawaii.

I do live in a nice house, drive a nice car and can afford to stay in the Haven if that is what I wanted to do. I agree with sticky mouse that it is over priced. The reason I think it is unfair is because you are allowed to board the ship first and you already have a less crowed place to spend time. Greedy for the same reason.

Now back to planning my 2 weeks in Hawaii.

I don't think that it's unfair since there is no adults only area in the Haven.

To be able to board first and be able to get a VIBE pass is one of the things the Havenguests pay extra for.

The reason I think it is unfair is because you are allowed to board the ship first and you already have a less crowed place to spend time. Greedy for the same reason.

Are people with Spa access (whether stateroom type or purchased separately) who get VIBE access being greedy because they "already have a less crowded place to spend time"? :rolleyes:

Is it "unfair" if they have 2 less crowded places while the vast majority of guests have none?

Are people who have a balcony that is large enough for a lounger being greedy when they sit in a lounger on the sundeck because they already have a place to lounge in the sun?

No...to all of the above questions.

Everyone on the ship has a right to get a VIBE pass. People booked in a guaranteed interior can get. People booked in the DOS can get. The belief of "...those people have so much so anything extra is wrong for them to have..." is ludicrous. If NCL banned anyone who doesn't have a balcony from getting VIBE access, it would be equally ludicrous.

VIBE is the only adult-only, limited access (not crowded), sundeck on the entire ship...plus a bar.:whiskey-glass:

Yes, it is easier for some than for others to get access but everyone has the opportunity to get/use priority boarding. If people (for whatever reason) don't get/use priority boarding and don't get VIBE access, the blame shouldn't go towards those who do get access. Some guests don't have priority boarding and still get VIBE access by arriving early. Are those people also wrong because not everyone can arrive as early? No, they aren't.