Does everybody eat only specialty

Suzieanna

I have noticed hardly anybody goes to MDR ... or if they do they don't post about it. What's the story?

No. As a matter of fact, after 28 cruises I have never eaten in a specialty restaurant. I like the MDR and find the food is delicious.

I usually don't eat dinner in the buffet area but did our last 2 cruises because of the Seafood night (or as I call it, Shrimp night because that was in almost every dish). I love shrimp and couldn't pass it up.:D

I can't see paying for a cruise then paying for "Special" food.

I tend to gravitate toward the specialty dining, not because of any issues with the MDR, but rather because I like the smaller-space venues, and I look forward to returning to some favorite dishes each cruise.

Stephen

Being platinum and staying in the Haven that only winds up being one or less nights in the MDR. Three day SDP package, two platinum certificates, and two other dining choices which normally wind up being in the Haven restaurant unless it is one of the older restaurants without a Haven restaurant. Sometimes we miss the MDR though.

I have noticed hardly anybody goes to MDR ... or if they do they don't post about it. What's the story?

On a 14 day transatlantic on the Jade we had 4 specialty dinners plus 2 platinum perk dinners. The rest of the meals were in MDR or Jasmine or Blue Lagoon.

I think plenty of people eat some of their meals in MDR but with the 'free' SDP and a choice of several other free venues besides MDR, there are lots of choices to write about.

We were on the Getaway in December. We ate only at free venues, except for the Illusionarium, and thought the food was really good, especially the MDR and O'Sheehans. Better than we expected, in fact, according to lots of reviews here.

So many people on Cruise Critic stress the specialty restaurants. You can have a wonderful cruise without using the Haven restaurants or the specialty restaurants. The MDR is fine. We have had so-so results and really good food at the MDR. It just depends. I do think you get higher quality food at the specialty restaurants, but if you just want a decent meal, the MDR works just fine. We like O'Sheehans a lot. It is very casual, has some good food including salads, and is free. I also think the buffet is not too bad on NCL ships. We tend to go on port-intensive cruises, so we are just happy to be fed at the end of the day.

My wife and I like to have a meal in Cagneys by ourselves on every cruise and we all (including our son) like Modernos and Teppenyaki, so we usually go to those three.

Add in the 2 platinum meals and this is actually more than I think is ideal for a 7 night cruise.

Now they have changed the platinum meal to include Moderno and Cagneys we are likely to just do those two and pay for Teppenyaki in future.

If we get the dining included then we will take that and have a few more meals in the specialities, but I can't see us buying it again.

This summer we have a 6 meal SDP included, so that's 8 meals in all. It's a 15 day cruise, but I still think there is a good chance we won't use all of them.

We never go to the speciality restaurants. In November we are at MDR 3 times, buffet 2 times, Noodle bar once, and OSheehans for prime rib night. We don't like paying extra for food when there is so much choice for free. We rather spend the money at the port excursions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We usually only eat in the MDR. The exception was our most recent cruise on the Epic. We had the four meals as part of our "free" package, and then we also ate at Shanghai's and O'Sheehan's one time each since they are complimentary dining options as well. That left one night left to eat in the MDR.