Question re crowds on Breakaway

rc1973

I would say that's a slight exaggeration but I will say any mistake breakaway has is corrected on Escape. Her pool deck is wide open now and the theater is bigger. Atrium is still an opportunity but they seem to bringing back the old "spinnaker" lounges up top starting on the Joy and Bliss.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This may be on a separate thread, but since a couple people mentioned they are sailing on April 2 I figured I would ask:

As far as weather goes I know it will be cold on Sunday April 2, but does anyone have any insight on when it should warm up? My guess is probably by late Monday.

Thanks in advanced.

My husband and I cruised out April 3rd last year. We didn't think it'd be too crowded since it wasn't a break or holiday. We were wrong. It was apparently canadian break, and the boat had a surprising number of canadian travelers with kids. It was a nice mix from the normal..... There weren't 1600+ kids like you tend to get during break weeks, however there were enough kids to make the pool area crowded.

Anyway, as far as the weather goes, it was VERY cold when we left on April 3rd, and it was chilly on the 4th but you were able to sit on deck with a sweater. By Tuesday though we were all very toasty in the Florida sun.

We didn't use the pool on Sunday or Monday, but did use the hot tubs both days and we were comfortable. With kids, I don't know that you will be able to do this, unless you send them off to the splash academy

Don't pay any attention to all the negative remarks! It always sails full and most people love the Breakaway! Remember there are more negative remarks made because the same person(s) keep repeating their piddly complaints! No different than any other ship, when the weather is bad, people crowd inside, when the weather is nice, people crowd the pool. Every ship that sails has these problems. I've been on when it was at full capacity and loved every minute of it. So much so that we are going again during spring break (another sold out ship) March 26th. Believe me I've been on my share of cruises and the Breakaway was by far our favorite ship, even with it being full! You will have a great time!

We didn't use the pool on Sunday or Monday, but did use the hot tubs both days and we were comfortable. With kids, I don't know that you will be able to do this, unless you send them off to the splash academy

why not have the kids in the hot tubs. when i was on board they loved being up until midnight in the hot tubs and yes you get kicked out before 12!

YW

i took one of the 8 yr olds out in the wind and rain and said put your hand in the kiddie pool. i asked him if the rain stops would he go in. he say no way, its freezing.

which is kinda sad because i'm 85 % sure i read on the NCL site on the official forum that pools are heated. i can verify the kids pool is definitely not.

this year in december i'm giving serious consideration to the Anthem of the seas. i think anyone that sails in cold weather needs to look at her and the videos online. i can say with certainty if i was aware of the anthem and the setup there, that unless the prices was bad, id def have tried anthem in december vs the BA. there's an enclosed adults only pool area with a multi tiered water feature then a main pool that is inside then another pool that is outside. the hot tubs are so much bigger than BA

and rumors are NJ is easier to em/disembark. i may have found a new ship

I've done Anthem and it's really not the "be all end all" you think. The Solarium area gets just as crowded, if not more so than the areas on Breakaway when it's chilly outside. Yes it's nice they have 3 pools, 1 is outside, 1 family covered and the adult only that's covered. But the areas are so broken up that each get crowded. Then if it's nice out the outdoor pool is overwhelmed and the Solarium gets too hot and stuffy.

I also don't think the embarking/disembarking is any easier in NJ. Getting on is weird because they don't have a cattle line to check-in. They have people wandering around with ipads for check-in so you get these little clusters of people, once you got past that it was fine. Then when we got back to NJ, they stopped letting passengers off about an hour into disembark because the customs agents were so backed up. There were so many people who decided to do self-assist/walk-off that it gummed up the works. Our group # was supposed to be off the ship at 10 am (ish) and we ended up doing what every one else was and jumped in line to get off at 11:30 because they were so far behind on getting people off the ship.

why not have the kids in the hot tubs. when i was on board they loved being up until midnight in the hot tubs and yes you get kicked out before 12!

Several of the hot tubs are marked ADULTS ONLY... I believe on my last cruise I only saw 1 hot tub out of the 4 main ones by the adult pool without the ADULTS ONLY sign...

When there is only 1 hot tub that is to be used by kids, and it is full, other kids see that they are in there, and start hopping in the adult only ones. They are kids, they tend to not read signs.....As somebody who doesn't have kids, and who spent years as a lifeguard, I don't want to spend my "relaxing" time in the hot tub getting kicked by kids who are fooling around, or watching somebody else's child who shouldn't even be in the hot tub, let alone in a hot tub unsupervised. There is a similar issue when it comes to the adult only pool. Parents who do not watch their kids have their kids swimming around, jumping in, splashing around in the adult only pool. I can't relax when there are kids who can't swim trying to swim in that deep pool. I had to fish a 5-year-old out 2 years ago on the breakaway because the water was sloshing out of the pool, and he was being tossed around. He wasn't a strong swimmer, and NCL staff did NOTHING until I had already assisted him out of the pool. Then the NCL staff spent 20 minutes trying to find his mother, who was at the bar, 2 sheets to the wind.

I guess my issue is more with parents than the kids themselves... I was once a kid... and I am sure I was annoying as hell.......

How well does the 'Waterfront' handle all of those passengers?:confused:

I feel like the waterfront is such a great concept, but isn't used by many. Most days on our last cruise we were able to get a comfy seat up there to sit and read and relax. There were the occasional loud groups of folks walking by, but most people who are out there are looking for peace, quiet and some sunshine!

There is a smoking area there not near the food venues of course so we weren't in a great rush to hang out there but did check it out for 5 minutes

In January 2015 even in the warm ports it wasn't bad as far as crowding

We booked an outdoor table in la Cucina in order to enjoy the area but that was it. An early ressie allowed us plenty of time there. 60 minutes perhaps

There aren't a ton of seating spots out there btw in the general waterfront area so to get to enjoy it the best we felt the specialty dining was a good choice

Others will of course dispute this post

on my october bermuda cruise i showed up to ocean blue 1 hour early and asked if perchace they had any openings.they said if you want to eat outside you can. sure thing!

was very nice on an october nite and not many people out there at all. also you can wear shorts outside for ocean blue!

I love the BA. I Do not think it is poorly designed at all. Nor do I feel like I am in a sardine can. I've never experienced a wait at any restaurant or bar. And I have never had a problem finding loungers on the pool deck. To each their own but I just want the OP to hear all opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with you 1000% I have been on a full BA and never felt I was packed in. Really enjoy that ship and already book a 2018 cruise

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

The atrium

The pool deck

The theater

Are all too small for this ship

Those areas are always crowded

We traveled in July, maybe not as crowded as Springbreak, but always got a chair in the Atrium and a seat in the theater. Never waited for a table. Didn't sit by the pool but that area was crowded.

oops double post

Edited by thistimeplease
double post

The atrium

The pool deck

The theater

Are all too small for this ship

Those areas are always crowded

We traveled in July, maybe not as crowded as Springbreak, but always got a chair in the Atrium and a seat in the theater. Never waited for a table. Didn't sit by the pool but that area was crowded.

oops double post

you got seating for atrium? certainly not for any events like the celebrity dance etc.

I have been on the Breakaway 3 times. I have found it very crowded in the Atrium for events/shows, as there is not enough seating either on that deck or the deck above which overlooks and wraps around the Atrium via OSheehans.

I have also found the buffet to be terribly crowded at breakfast time. On our last cruise in November, we decided to stay clear of the buffet for breakfast and actually had great meals at Taste and Savor. It was much more quiet as well.

You should really take advantage of the Splash Academy and everything they have to offer for your little one. He will not be bored!

Good choice of week

The ba will still be crowded as it holds 4000 and sails full every week and is so poorly designed that you will feel like you are in a sardine can. Sorry but true

On the bright side the buffet has lots of seating

5:30 main dining room will not be a wait

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Interesting you would say it is poorly designed; we thought the Epic which, apparently was not well designed, but other than the rainy days it was not so crowded we felt like we were in a sardine can, and we had heard the Breakaway is much better laid out.i guess we will know in about 4 weeks. We did find the buffet a nightmare a few times, but most ships have a pretty crowded buffet at breakfast. :confused:

I've done Anthem and it's really not the "be all end all" you think. The Solarium area gets just as crowded, if not more so than the areas on Breakaway when it's chilly outside. Yes it's nice they have 3 pools, 1 is outside, 1 family covered and the adult only that's covered. But the areas are so broken up that each get crowded. Then if it's nice out the outdoor pool is overwhelmed and the Solarium gets too hot and stuffy.

I also don't think the embarking/disembarking is any easier in NJ. Getting on is weird because they don't have a cattle line to check-in. They have people wandering around with ipads for check-in so you get these little clusters of people, once you got past that it was fine. Then when we got back to NJ, they stopped letting passengers off about an hour into disembark because the customs agents were so backed up. There were so many people who decided to do self-assist/walk-off that it gummed up the works. Our group # was supposed to be off the ship at 10 am (ish) and we ended up doing what every one else was and jumped in line to get off at 11:30 because they were so far behind on getting people off the ship.

Your experience parallels mine. The embarkation problem is not in the terminal, it is getting to the terminal. Once you turn into Port Liberty, you can encounter up to a 90 minute line of vehicles waiting to get to the luggage drop off. Disembarkation is exactly as you describe.

Your experience parallels mine. The embarkation problem is not in the terminal, it is getting to the terminal. Once you turn into Port Liberty, you can encounter up to a 90 minute line of vehicles waiting to get to the luggage drop off. Disembarkation is exactly as you describe.

We got there early, we were driving up from PA and my dh is obsessive about being early. So we didn't have as long a wait getting in, maybe 10 minutes before we could drop off luggage. But we could see the traffic backing up behind us and later on deck saw the line to get in for luggage drop-off/parking. So a 90 minute wait time doesn't surprise me.

Interesting you would say it is poorly designed; we thought the Epic which, apparently was not well designed, but other than the rainy days it was not so crowded we felt like we were in a sardine can, and we had heard the Breakaway is much better laid out.i guess we will know in about 4 weeks. We did find the buffet a nightmare a few times, but most ships have a pretty crowded buffet at breakfast. :confused:

I have been on the BA twice, and have another trip coming up in November. I think that it is crowded by the pools on sunny sea days, and is crowded inside on rainy, cold sea days. I think that is par for the course with any ship, though.

I will say that in some areas there is a severe lack of seating. The atrium is a great example. We sat down for trivia on our last cruise and ended up staying for the newlywed game, as we were newlyweds at the time and wanted to participate. People had actually asked us (while still seated) how much longer we planned on staying since they were here to watch. Perhaps it was the bride and groom shirts that did us in, however as soon as we got up, they took our seats. We ended up having to compete against 3 other newlywed couples and didn't get picked, so we ended up with NO seats to actually watch the newlywed game. I will admit, I was a bit sauced by then and went up and said something to the seat vultures.

seat vultures. interesting term

in december i was one row back but across the walkway near the library and up front there are those wingback chairs. i figured no biggie. i can look thru the chairs to see the dance off.

nope. 5 teen girls in prom type dresses were there and they also moved around a lot so i couldnt even see thru the opening so to speak. one of them got on stage and you can imagine that volume from their friends cheering. thankfully the 2 kids i was with were able to get a front row seat so they saw it all. where i didnt

Good choice of week

The ba will still be crowded as it holds 4000 and sails full every week and is so poorly designed that you will feel like you are in a sardine can. Sorry but true

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've sailed the BA twice, and never felt over crowed or like I was in a "Sardine can"

YMMV

I have been on the BA twice, and have another trip coming up in November. I think that it is crowded by the pools on sunny sea days, and is crowded inside on rainy, cold sea days. I think that is par for the course with any ship, though.

I will say that in some areas there is a severe lack of seating. The atrium is a great example. We sat down for trivia on our last cruise and ended up staying for the newlywed game, as we were newlyweds at the time and wanted to participate. People had actually asked us (while still seated) how much longer we planned on staying since they were here to watch. Perhaps it was the bride and groom shirts that did us in, however as soon as we got up, they took our seats. We ended up having to compete against 3 other newlywed couples and didn't get picked, so we ended up with NO seats to actually watch the newlywed game. I will admit, I was a bit sauced by then and went up and said something to the seat vultures.

I

think most ships especially NCL ships are always crowded near the pool area on nice days. As for the inside as I had mentioned way back, we did find the ship pretty crowded inside on the two days we had rain. I would say, if you go to O'sheehan's anytime from about 11am to 1:30 you will find it crowded.