Train from SYD into CBD

I loved the Hillbillies, only seems to be on Pay TV now and not often at that.

Pay TV for the Hillbillies--are you kidding??? You guys need to organize and demand better :).

This from the person who just found out that most of my favorite shows are not available on Netflix in Australia or NZ (Dexter, West Wing, Breaking Bad, some good old movies).

ML

ML, we used the hotel which was a a one bedroom apartment. We found it fine for our five days there. It was very convenient to everything we wanted to do. There is a pub on the corner of Wentworth and Elizabeth Streets which served quite good meals. We had dinner there a couple of times which we enjoyed. We met an American family who were staying at the Wyndham and who loved the meals at this pub. You are also within walking distance of China Town and many other restaurants are in the area.

Leigh

Leigh

Thank you for this info, very helpful. I had already heard we were in a good location for meals. I am looking forward to exploring the differences--and trying the wine and beer :D We will be trying Chinatown too.

ML

Pay TV for the Hillbillies--are you kidding??? You guys need to organize and demand better :).

This from the person who just found out that most of my favorite shows are not available on Netflix in Australia or NZ (Dexter, West Wing, Breaking Bad, some good old movies).

ML

Not into Netflix yet, a bit old fashioned I'm afraid. Must look if those good shows are there.

I'm afraid most of my TV and music tastes are still 60s based.

Not into Netflix yet, a bit old fashioned I'm afraid. Must look if those good shows are there.

I'm afraid most of my TV and music tastes are still 60s based.

Gut

You must try and adapt :) I love 60s music but I find some of the TV shows to be a bit bland. But, fun to watch to remind me of my youth!

Yep sorry I thought it was only 1.5 but then I'm not a regular taxi user and even then seldom pay be card.

Completely agree. i usually pay cash for cabs but not used to $80 fares :D

No worries. We have a lot of good info thanks to all of the people here. We will probably take a cab, for the convenience.

ML

Oh Beverley Hillbillies, Gomer Pyle, Hazel, Petticoat Junction, Patty Duke Show, family affair, bring them all back, would be so much better than the trash thats on tv these days so much violence. how I would love to be able to watch the shows of my childhood again, but perhaps the innocence of my childhood protected me from a lot.

Can someone please remind me the name of the show where there was a guy who would sit next to a statue of a guy who was sitting and thinking. Been trying to remember the name of that for years.

Can someone please remind me the name of the show where there was a guy who would sit next to a statue of a guy who was sitting and thinking. Been trying to remember the name of that for years.

The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis.

It featured a young Bob Denver as Maynard G. Krebbs. WORK!!

Also Warren Beatty as Milton Armitage and Tuesday Weld as Thalia Menninger.

I just finished rewatching all four seasons a couple of weeks ago. It is still great.

Completely agree. i usually pay cash for cabs but not used to $80 fares :D

No worries. We have a lot of good info thanks to all of the people here. We will probably take a cab, for the convenience.

ML

I think the taxi fare would be less than $80. A 'normal' taxi would cost $55-$60 to the city, but a maxi taxi has a surcharge. Even it is AUD$70 that is around US$52. :)

Oh Beverley Hillbillies, Gomer Pyle, Hazel, Petticoat Junction, Patty Duke Show, family affair, bring them all back, would be so much better than the trash thats on tv these days so much violence. how I would love to be able to watch the shows of my childhood again, but perhaps the innocence of my childhood protected me from a lot.

Too funny you remembered Hazel (which I had forgotten but loved) but not Dobie Gillis! Many of these shows are on a throwback channel available in parts of the US. Also still show Columbo and Macmillan. But in the past had Car 54, Phil Silvers, and Burkes Law. Currently showing 77 Sunset Strip, Cheyenne, Maverick, and Donna Reed. Reminds me of growing up in the Bronx :D

Many happy memories. I used to wish that Carl Betz (the dad in Donna Reed was my dad :) )

ML

In a restaurant in China town in San Francisco I was told that I hadn't left enough tip. Had done the calculations and thought I had been more than generous but obviously not generous enough for them.

I've certainly heard reports of similar and sometimes the indication that it's not enough has been, well shall I say "less than pleasant" one colleague, who I admit lives a little world of their own, so may well have been a few years behind" left a tip of 17.5% (and believe me if he said 17.5% it would have been calculated to the cent) was chased down the road by an angry waiter calling him all sorts of names.

I've certainly heard reports of similar and sometimes the indication that it's not enough has been, well shall I say "less than pleasant" one colleague, who I admit lives a little world of their own, so may well have been a few years behind" left a tip of 17.5% (and believe me if he said 17.5% it would have been calculated to the cent) was chased down the road by an angry waiter calling him all sorts of names.

Gut

So, you are saying this happened in the US? My plan for Australia and NZ was to round up to the next dollar for everything--food, cabs, etc. Would this be wrong? I love your system but I want to be sure to do it right.

ML

PS: This is easy to do with cash. If using a CC, do you do the same, but leave "tip" line blank. (Maybe there is no "tip" line in Australia???)

Gut

So, you are saying this happened in the US? My plan for Australia and NZ was to round up to the next dollar for everything--food, cabs, etc. Would this be wrong? I love your system but I want to be sure to do it right.

ML

PS: This is easy to do with cash. If using a CC, do you do the same, but leave "tip" line blank. (Maybe there is no "tip" line in Australia???)

Yes that was in the USA.

There will probably be a tip line, feel free to put a line through it, many certainly do.

You won't get chased here for no tip, nor will it get rejected.

Yes that was in the USA.

There will probably be a tip line, feel free to put a line through it, many certainly do.

You won't get chased here for no tip, nor will it get rejected.

O goody, I don't want to be chased for this, prefer it to be because we spoke American and offended someone, or picked the wrong football team to support :D

ML

O goody, I don't want to be chased for this, prefer it to be because we spoke American and offended someone, or picked the wrong football team to support :D

ML

You can always round up with a credit card, I either do that or put a small note in as a tip (not a %). But this is only at the more up market restaurants.:D

You can always round up with a credit card, I either do that or put a small note in as a tip (not a %). But this is only at the more up market restaurants.:D

Hi Mic

So, if you do this with your CC, you just write in an amount or add the small amount in "tip" line? Sorry I am not tracking very well but I have been thinking about cash vs cc all day (and set up a new thread asking even more questions):)

ML

Hi Mic

So, if you do this with your CC, you just write in an amount or add the small amount in "tip" line? Sorry I am not tracking very well but I have been thinking about cash vs cc all day (and set up a new thread asking even more questions):)

ML

I normally just write the amount to charge at the bottom f there is no tip line. Some establishments here may bring the paperwork to the table or may have you go to the till (depends on how up market the establishment is). If your CC has international fees, perhaps cash is best.:D

I normally just write the amount to charge at the bottom f there is no tip line. Some establishments here may bring the paperwork to the table or may have you go to the till (depends on how up market the establishment is). If your CC has international fees, perhaps cash is best.:D

Thanks for this. yes, that is the issue--international fees. But DH has a no fee card, so he can pay :D

ML