MSC for Dummies - A first timer's photo review of the MSC Divina

Tapi

I thought the food in the Sports Bar was now free.

Once you experience Yacht Club on MSC you will never go back!! So, so, much more reasonably priced than NCL Haven or Celebrity suites!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes it is now free.

For the person who asked, yes they have trivia in the morning and afternoon. Also, American favorites like Quest, Love and Marriage game etc. All of the bars have live music in the evenings. The new Seaside is supposed to have a comedy club for those who will be sailing on her. The food in the Sports Bar is now free and quite good for lunch (fish and chips anyone?).

We enjoyed most of the shows, especially the guys that did 3 tenors things, the Beatles tribute (moved to Black & White lounge since it was raining on the pool deck where it was originally scheduled for), White Night activities and Flower Power night (70's).

For the person sailing in the Yacht Club, LeMuse restaurant was wonderful with many of the dishes coming from Eately and Galaxy specialty restaurants. Also snacks in the Top Sail Lounge from pastries (and more) in the morning to varied snacks all day and evening. And be sure to try high tea at least once (4-5pm every day) with white glove service and an array of scones, finger sandwiches and sweets. One Pool area has a small buffet area for breakfast and lunch and LeMuse restaurant is open for 3 meals/day.

We really enjoyed the not so Americanized feel of the ship and met many great people from all over the world. We will be sailing Divina again next fall and are looking forward to it!

By the time we added all the discounts, we were looking at sailing in a balcony stateroom for 7 nights during the busy summer season for a little over $250pp, all taxes included!

Tapi - First thank you for this fantastic review. Second - wow on the price! And that was a summer month!

We are sailing MSC for the first time this June aboard the MSC Meragivilia (new ship). Additionally I booked a cruise for Seaside for Jan 2018. We are Diamond on Royal. We have sailed with Princess and Celebrity as well, and thought it's time to try other lines.

Seaside will be out of Miami, like Divina. For Seaside, it is 7pm. Part of my family is from CA and are considering a red eye flight on Friday night and get into Miami about 10am.

My questions are what time did you board and what time did the ship depart? With the late departure time, I did not know if that translate to late boarding time as well.

TIA!

Edited by jen70

My questions are what time did you board and what time did the ship depart? With the late departure time, I did not know if that translate to late boarding time as well.

TIA!

Hi. We checked in around 1:00pm. But embarkation had been underway for a while when we boarded. Many passengers were already onboard. Our stateroom was ready as well. The ship left a little bit after 7:00pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Last week they had a steel drum duo playing music by the pool on at least one Sea day for an hour or so . And in the bars the live music was both European and well know standards. Also there was an Abba night in I think the Luna bar and it was standing room only.

Also the food in the Sports bar has been free since dry dock.

Also the food in the Sports bar has been free since dry dock.

Thanks for that update! Or cruise was a few months ago which is why my review of the Sports Bar is a bit outdated. I'm wondering if changing the menu to free made a difference in the number of people that this venue attracts. Any feedback on that?

Many thanks for this excellent and balanced review. I enjoyed your perspective, and your insights, and we will go with an open mind and a positive attitude.

After cruising for years mainly on RCI, with a little bit of Celebrity and Carnival thrown into the mix, I am very ready to try something different. We've traveled quite a bit in Europe, and learned to embrace cultural differences. I'm hoping that attitude will translate to our upcoming Divina experience.

Thanks again for posting. And your pics were outstanding!

$1000 for the YC! Wow!!! When, where and how did you get this deal?

I'm not allowed to say the agent I booked with per cc rules, but here is a link to the thread I started when I found the pricing. Final price was $974.00 per person with $100 OBC PER PERSON. However, I only received $100 OBC per stateroom once on-board. I was getting the run around and I didn't push too hard as I had a great deal anyway and I didn't want the frustration of following through.

I should note, that this pricing was available thru multiple large booking agencies. Since then, I've found similar pricing twice, but I couldn't take advantage due to work. There are screen shots in the link with exact pricing here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2354906

Hope that helps! Pays to shop around :)

Edited by BermudaBound2014

For the person who asked, yes they have trivia in the morning and afternoon. Also, American favorites like Quest, Love and Marriage game etc. All of the bars have live music in the evenings. The new Seaside is supposed to have a comedy club for those who will be sailing on her. The food in the Sports Bar is now free and quite good for lunch (fish and chips anyone?).

Thank you for the information! We will be sailing Seaside next year so it's good to know that trivia will be there!

Thanks for the review, Tapi. We will be sailing on her in October, and staying in the YC.

Can you give me an idea of how late the bars are open/how late the live music goes? What time did the ship typically "go to bed?" Also, any experience in late night food, i.e. pizza, etc.

Thank you!

Can you give me an idea of how late the bars are open/how late the live music goes? What time did the ship typically "go to bed?" Also, any experience in late night food, i.e. pizza, etc.

Thank you!

Hi. Hard to tell you exactly what time the ship would go to bed. Traveling with small children, we'd be tucked in bed no later than 10-11pm. But I can tell you that at that time, the lounges and hallways would be packed with people and sections of the buffet would still be open as well. Do keep in mind that if you order room service, there's a fee for the items consumed. I believe that the only time that you can order room service without a fee is for breakfast and you must have at least a Fantastica stateroom to avoid the delivery fee.

Thanks for the review. I'm also a transplanted boricua, & I'll be sailing MSC for the first time in June on a Northern European itinerary. I've status matched my Carnival Gold to their Platinum. Very much looking forward to a new cruising experience.

Hi. Hard to tell you exactly what time the ship would go to bed. Traveling with small children, we'd be tucked in bed no later than 10-11pm. But I can tell you that at that time, the lounges and hallways would be packed with people and sections of the buffet would still be open as well. Do keep in mind that if you order room service, there's a fee for the items consumed. I believe that the only time that you can order room service without a fee is for breakfast and you must have at least a Fantastica stateroom to avoid the delivery fee.

Thanks! Can you speak about the music available in the lounges? Frequency, type, etc.

Thanks for that update! Or cruise was a few months ago which is why my review of the Sports Bar is a bit outdated. I'm wondering if changing the menu to free made a difference in the number of people that this venue attracts. Any feedback on that?

When it was posted about the Sports Bar by recent cruisers it is now an open secret that that is the place to go to eat straight after boarding as it is quieter than the buffet. We didn't go but Noname who is on board now and is also posting more or less live from the ship has said they went straight there to eat on Saturday.

Thank you for the great review, and especially the heads up on the foreign transaction fee. I just checked my credit cards they all charge 3% except one of them. Great helpful info!!

Do you remember which night the 3 theme nights were on. White night, Italian red, white, green night, and retro night? Was formal nights, sea days Monday & Thursday?

Thanks for the review, Tapi. We will be sailing on her in October, and staying in the YC.

Thank you!

The Top Sail Lounge bar closes at 2am. Don't know about other bars/lounges as the YC free drinks are limited to YC area. I believe that is going to change later this year to throughout the ship.

Thank you for the great review, and especially the heads up on the foreign transaction fee. I just checked my credit cards they all charge 3% except one of them. Great helpful info!!

Do you remember which night the 3 theme nights were on. White night, Italian red, white, green night, and retro night? Was formal nights, sea days Monday & Thursday?

Have a look on my thread Random Photos from last week I took photos of a lot of the dailies and leaflets etc showing what was happening. Thee formal nights are dependent on your Sea days itineraries.

The formal nights were the 2nd night (Nassau) and the 6th night (At Sea). The Italian night was on the 3rd night (At Sea). I don't recall when the other two were. Hope this info is helpful!

The formal nights were the 2nd night (Nassau) and the 6th night (At Sea). The Italian night was on the 3rd night (At Sea). I don't recall when the other two were. Hope this info is helpful!

Thank you, that does help. Now I just need to find out white night & retro night.

So cruise critic meeting is on first sea day, so it is not the same as formal night, as I had read somewhere. Thought we would be rushed.

thank you

Thank you, that does help. Now I just need to find out white night & retro night.

So cruise critic meeting is on first sea day, so it is not the same as formal night, as I had read somewhere. Thought we would be rushed.

thank you

It was last week the cruise Critic meet was at 4 and the cocktails for first dinner sitting was at 5!

thank you

For us, we just go with the flow, and don't worry so much about timing, but we also aren't used to set dining times. Even if your dining time interferes, I'm sure the evening parties will run late.