Extra Medical insurance if my primary covers outside us for Emergency Services

Markt99

Hey Guys,

Do you guys recommend vacation medical insurance while cruising if we have health insurance in the US that covers care outside the US for emergency services

We are leaving from Port Canaveral on Disney Dream on 7/5-7/9 to Nassau and Castaway Cay (Both Bahamas).

It is myself (45), Wife (36), Daughter (5), and son (2)

None with any serious medical conditions.

If so do you have any experiences as to why it was a good thing to have.

Mark

Hey Guys,

Do you guys recommend vacation medical insurance while cruising if we have health insurance in the US that covers care outside the US for emergency services

We are leaving from Port Canaveral on Disney Dream on 7/5-7/9 to Nassau and Castaway Cay (Both Bahamas).

Mark

If you have medical insurance that covers you outside the US, then you're probably fine.

Couple of things to think about, though:

Does it cover medical evacuation? That can be upwards of tens of thousands of dollars.

Be aware it won't pay like you're used to at home. You'll still have to pay up front for any medical procedures and file for reimbursement at home. It's best to have enough "space" on a credit card to cover any medical payments on the spot.

"Not having any medical conditions" well, that's nice, but, what if your wife slips on the wet pool deck and fractures her wrist? Or, one of the kids gets appendicitis (yes, that's happened) and has to medically evacutated from a foreign port.

In reality, these are worst case scenarios, but what if.......

It depends on your comfort zone whether additional coverage is necessary. But I'd look into the medical evacuation issue, if I were you.

Hey Guys,

Mark

Does your US based medical insurance cover after being stabilized in the ER?

Will your insurance cover medi-vac transport back to the US?

How about trip interruption coverage? to cover the unused portion of your cruise?

Odds are against something happening, but those are a few questions to consider if additional insurance is needed.

YOU have to decide if you hthink there is risk and if it is acceptablere to you. the healthiest person can have an accxdent, unexpected things can happen.

Have a great c ruise.

Edited by sail7seas

Does your US based medical insurance cover after being stabilized in the ER?

Will your insurance cover medi-vac transport back to the US?

How about trip interruption coverage? to cover the unused portion of your cruise?

Odds are against something happening, but those are a few questions to consider if additional insurance is needed.

Good point. OP says their health coverage covers emergency care outside the US. But, once you've passed the "emergency" stage - what then?

Hey Guys,

Mark

For you, the key questions would relate to cost of non-"preferred provider" costs of service and any limitations on type or cost of "ambulance," which could mean air ambulance from cruise ship.

ER in (for example) Rome or Valparaiso that is probably not in your network and ship evacuation where local coast guard doesn't do it for free (and your insurance has restrictions)would ravage your bank account in a flash. Do your homework!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would suggest you do a little shopping. You will probably find the cost to be minimal vs potential costs, particularly for such a short cruise.

We are scheduled for two 7 day cruises (B2B) this year. I checked a large online travel broker and with a broker sponsored by our military connected insurance company. The online broker was both higher and much less service oriented than the one from our insurance company.

Cost for both of us was around $350 for 17days. Covers cancellation, medical and evacuation.

My employer provided heath care insurance also covers me outside of the US.

I asked some very specific questions.

1. Am I covered outside of the US.

A. Yes, at out of network costs

2. Will you cover med evac from the ship?

A. Yes. To the nearest facility able to treat you.

3. If I need continued care, will you pay to take me back home for the continued care?

A. No. We only transport once to address the emergency

4. If I should pass, will you cover repatriation expenses?

A. No

5. Will you cover family members expenses to stay with me until I can travel?

A. No

6. If the provider requires up front payment prior to providing services, will you provide either a payment or a letter of intent to pay?

A. No

These are some reasons why I still get additional travel insurance

You also need to ask if your insurance coverage outside the country has a maximum lifetime limit.

I decided I didn't want to risk maxing-out my coverage. I get a policy that has very high coverage for medical & for evacuation only. Trip interruption, baggage, etc. are under other covers.

Good luck!

Mark

When considering medical insurance coverage, it will cover not only those needed for sickness, but injuries from accident as well. While sickness knows no age, so does accidents that may occur while having fun during the trip. Treatment of a minor sprain can cost substantially.

I buy insurance for any trip that takes me out of the US. I am not wealthy and I do not have the liquidity to "self-insure" for a accident and the resultant costs.

On my first trip on my own post-divorce, I was in Italy, doing my own version of the "Eat" portion of "Eat, Pray, Love." Well, I had a little accident in the vineyards of Montalcino and shattered a leg. 4 days and 10,000EU later, I was allowed to fly back to the US for surgery by my own ortho. My insurance paid for the ER and hospitalization, translation services for medical personnel and of my medical records, changing my flights, and refunded the unused, but paid-for portions of my vacation. If I had not had that insurance, I would have been in the hole for $20,000...