Is there new requirements for Europeans to fly into USA?

Bowie MeMe

Just booked a new cruise yesterday on Oceania and in the paperwork for that cruise there is a notice that citizens of 36 countries in the Visa exemption Program must now have a tourist visa to fly into/out of/within the United States of America. I will try to cut and paste it here but basically it says all European and Japan and Singapore and South Korea and Australia (most of our "friends" in the world) must now apply on line for the tourist visa at least 72 hours before flying to USA. I think that I have never seen an advisory like this before. Will this mean having to get tourist visas for USA citizens to fly into any other country? Have we been Trumped or is this something that happened before and I have had my head in the sand?

Can't get it to copy but will put a shortened version here:

OCEANIA CRUISES

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR CITIZENS ENTERING THE UNITED STATES CLIENTS NEED TO OBTAIN TRAVEL AUTHORIZATION

This is a special notification for any guest who is a citizen of one of the 36 countries in the Department of Homeland Security's VWP (Visa Waiver Progam): Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany,Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom

This notification is to advise you that in the event that you are the citizen of one of these countries and you are not already in possession of a visitor's visa, you still need to obtain a Travel Authorization in order to enter the United States. Failure to obtain a Travel Authorization will lead to denied entry into the United States.

This travel authorization can be obtained online by visiting the official ESTA(Electronic System for Travel Authorization) site:

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta

A TRAVEL AUTHORIZATION MUST BE OBTAINED FOR EACH GUEST, REGARDLESS OF AGE, AND MUST BE APPLIED FOR AT LEAST 72 HOURS IN ADVANCE OF TRAVEL, CHARGES APPLY.

SECURE FLIGHT PROGRAM FOR US FLIGHTS CONTINUES TO EXPLAIN SECURE FLIGHT PASSENGER DATA IN ORDER FOR YOUR AIRLINE TICKET TO BE ISSUED. FOR MORE INFORMATION , PLEASE VISIT THE FOLLOWING WEBSITE: http://tsa.gov/what we do/layers/secureflight/index.shtm

Edited by Bowie MeMe

I see that this is probably the old program but I have never seen this put out by the cruise companies before (last cruise was a month ago). I could not find anything updated on the tsa.gov site. Perhaps it is just a caution but with things being so crazy -- never know. I, for one, really like the no visa requirement. Just today I picked up my visa for India and the Gods of Luck only gave me a one year visa, husband one year visa, cousin traveling with us got a 10 year visa. What the heck? Oceania visa service says nothing you can do -- talking (in person as we went to get visas) the man says that perhaps it was because we were teachers long ago (retired 10 years) or because have advanced degrees.(so does cousin who claimed business person as former occupation) It is also stamped in 2 places that NGO and missionary work strictly prohibited. You can see why I am on edge. World has stopped making much sense -- never did but worse than it used to be in my opinion which is not worth much.

Just booked a new cruise yesterday on Oceania and in the paperwork for that cruise there is a notice that citizens of 36 countries in the Visa exemption Program must now have a tourist visa to fly into/out of/within the United States of America... This is a special notification for any guest who is a citizen of one of the 36 countries in the Department of Homeland Security's VWP (Visa Waiver Progam) ... This notification is to advise you that in the event that you are the citizen of one of these countries and you are not already in possession of a visitor's visa, you still need to obtain a Travel Authorization in order to enter the United States.

I wonder if it will be mere hours or as much as days until the same obligations are imposed on US citizens traveling to the countries whose citizens are now required to get Travel Authorization? That's the standard reciprocity (AKA retaliation) when entry requirements change.

I wonder if it will be mere hours or as much as days until the same obligations are imposed on US citizens traveling to the countries whose citizens are now required to get Travel Authorization? That's the standard reciprocity (AKA retaliation) when entry requirements change.

Why -- this has been the process since 2009!!!

ESTA is part of the Visa waiver program. Previously Europeans needed a Visa for travel to the US. Some of the countries on the ESTA list still require visa's for USA citizens.

Airlines are fined if their board someone who does not have an ESTA clearing number.

O is just covering their buts in legalese -- just in case someone misses their cruise because they did not follow procedures..

Why -- this has been the process since 2009!!!

ESTA is part of the Visa waiver program. Previously Europeans needed a Visa for travel to the US. Some of the countries on the ESTA list still require visa's for USA citizens.

I'm surprised by this information. Since 2009, I have visited the following countries from the list of 36 with no documentation beyond my valid US passport: Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Lithuania, The Netherlands, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and United Kingdom. Yet according to what you're saying, during that during that same period, citizens of the same countries I've visited have been required to get Travel Authorization before entering Visa Free into the US.

All I can say is that's highly atypical to have an asymmetry in visa requirements between countries.

I hope some of posters who are citizens of the 36 countries on the list will share their experiences on this topic when visiting the US. I'm truly fascinated and bewildered.

I find this a timely topic. I'm concerned about the attitude that other nationalities are going to take toward Americans going forward with the new policies being implemented. I'm afraid there will be a hostile reception(not violent) from people who before were friendly, or at least acted that way to get our tourist dollars.

For those that aren't clear, like I wasn't, a Travel Authorization and Visa are not the same thing. From the ESTA website:

"An approved travel authorization is not a visa. It does not meet the legal or regulatory requirements to serve in lieu of a United States visa when a visa is required under United States law. Individuals who possess a valid visa will still be able to travel to the United States on that visa for the purpose for which it was issued. Individuals traveling on valid visas are not required to apply for a travel authorization."

I'm surprised by this information. Since 2009, I have visited the following countries from the list of 36 with no documentation beyond my valid US passport: Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Lithuania, The Netherlands, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and United Kingdom. Yet according to what you're saying, during that during that same period, citizens of the same countries I've visited have been required to get Travel Authorization before entering Visa Free into the US.

All I can say is that's highly atypical to have an asymmetry in visa requirements between countries.

I hope some of posters who are citizens of the 36 countries on the list will share their experiences on this topic when visiting the US. I'm truly fascinated and bewildered.

British Citizens have had to apply for and be granted an ESTA for many years. The ESTA lasts for two years. Even with this document granted, we have to wait in long lines (up to 2 hours depending on which US port you arrive at) to be seen by an immigration officer. Electronic finger prints are taken and passports examined carefully, questions asked, evan though all of the information on the ESTA will be on the screen the Officer is referring to. We are not required to have a hard copy of the ESTA, although I understand that sometimes it is asked for, so we have always had a copy. A card is attached to your passport and this card has to be returned when leaving the United States otherwise it is assumed that you did not leave America. You did ask!!!!! I am surprised that you are not required to complete a form on the aircraft/ship when you are entering any of the 36 countries you mention above.

British Citizens have had to apply for and be granted an ESTA for many years. The ESTA lasts for two years. Even with this document granted, we have to wait in long lines (up to 2 hours depending on which US port you arrive at) to be seen by an immigration officer. Electronic finger prints are taken and passports examined carefully, questions asked, evan though all of the information on the ESTA will be on the screen the Officer is referring to. We are not required to have a hard copy of the ESTA, although I understand that sometimes it is asked for, so we have always had a copy. A card is attached to your passport and this card has to be returned when leaving the United States otherwise it is assumed that you did not leave America. You did ask!!!!! I am surprised that you are not required to complete a form on the aircraft/ship when you are entering any of the 36 countries you mention above.

No different that entering the UK at LHR... Must fill out a landing card and wait in a long Queue -- last time 90 minutes.

By the way UK citizens are eligible for Global Entry which bypasses the line. US citizens are also eligible for the egate program in UK.

ESTA was instituted with the visa entry program in 2009. It is designed to verify before people board whether they have a criminal background, on the no fly list etc... It certainly beats having to get a visa.

Thanks for this detailed information.

I was not including the form completed by hand while en route to one's destination. In my mind, there's a significant difference between a piece of paper that we present to passport control in real time and this 72-hours-in-advance application for which there is a fee. I know that existing data bases make it possible to run a check on the person in real time, but that's still a lower level of bureaucracy and scrutiny than the ESTA I'm now learning about.

US citizens are also eligible for the egate program in UK.

The occasional visitor to the UK is not eligible even if willing to spend the money on the program. A person must make a minimum of 4 trips to the UK within a two year period to be eligible. There was a period when we were visiting the UK yearly so this program looked very appealing. The anticipation lasted about five minutes, long enough to read down to the qualifications to learn we don't visit often enough.

As a point of information, the price of the UK's program, Registered Traveller, is considerably higher than Global Entry for the US.

Initial cost of Registered Traveller is 70 Pounds and lasts one year only.

Subsequent one-year renewals are 50 Pounds.

Five year Global Entry status costs $100.

Have been in the U.K. several times in the past two years - arriving in both Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted airports. Had to complete a landing card and wait in significant lines each time. This situation is due to become MUCH worse once Brexit is finalized and all European Union citizens must go through the same lines as Americans. :eek:

My in-laws (British citizens) are well aware of the ESTA requirements that have been in place for years when visiting the U.S.

Can't blame this one on Trump.

Maybe Oceania decided to add this statement to their invoices because some people may not have done their research & complained they did not know to get the ESTA before leaving home

Arriving in the USA without one they probably were denied entry & sent home

just a thought

As Paul said it has been around since 2009 ..nothing new

Maybe Oceania decided to add this statement to their invoices because some people may not have done their research & complained they did not know to get the ESTA before leaving home

Arriving in the USA without one they probably were denied entry & sent home

just a thought

As Paul said it has been around since 2009 ..nothing new

I believe that it is not anything "so" new also -- just never got a separate document before and maybe that is because of some folks not getting the documentation before hand as required or because not being European I was not concerned about it and the TA didn't send it on or because TSA toughing up the rules and enforcing them more. I have global traveler and thus supposedly helps to get in with extra speed though I have yet to see it working that way -- last few trips I breezed on through. The 72 hours before and the fee notice was what I thought was different -- maybe not different and I being a US citizen did not know the diff.

Indeed ESTA has been around for some time. I think I am on my third.. i am Swiss and part of the Visa Waiver programme but need the ESTA which costs $14 for 2 yrs. hopefully soon US nationals will have to do the same thing to come here. "Tit for tat" as they say.... but really it is no big deal. You fill out an online form and get the OK right away (took less than a minute in my case). Happily the green form is gone. Nothing stuck in my passport either aside from the entry stamp. I hope this makes life more secure but I cant say I am convinced....

I make a copy of the ESTA and take it with me when I fly...

Indeed ESTA has been around for some time. I think I am on my third.. i am Swiss and part of the Visa Waiver programme but need the ESTA which costs $14 for 2 yrs. hopefully soon US nationals will have to do the same thing to come here. "Tit for tat" as they say.... but really it is no big deal. You fill out an online form and get the OK right away (took less than a minute in my case). Happily the green form is gone. Nothing stuck in my passport either aside from the entry stamp. I hope this makes life more secure but I cant say I am convinced....

I make a copy of the ESTA and take it with me when I fly...

I have heard that recently travelers have been asked for the paper copy even though theoretically it isn't needed. Taking a copy is best.

In light of this, are there new/or newly enforced visa requirements for US citizens going to Western Europe? We've been traveling there for decades and never needed anything.

Europe hasn't changed anything. It's just the US who has.