St. Kits Shipwreck Beach Bar

jman101

We were there two years ago. It looked rather run down but we plunked down on a few lawn chairs, bought a bucket of beer and enjoyed a quiet, relaxing day. It was not a lively spot and the beach was very narrow, but we enjoyed it.

We were there two years ago. It looked rather run down but we plunked down on a few lawn chairs, bought a bucket of beer and enjoyed a quiet, relaxing day. It was not a lively spot and the beach was very narrow, but we enjoyed it.

The beach does look narrow. Will have to read more about it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Shipwreck Beach Bar is on South Friars Beach about 200 metres further along than Carambola Beach Club.

Yes the beach is very narrow with easy access into the sea, it is a lot wide at the Carambola as they tend to maintain this section by importing sand. Carambola is probably the best beach bar you will see in the caribbean with excellent restroom facilities although they will charge a little extra for sunbeds. If you plan to go to the Carambola I would advise reserving your beds/umbrella online as they are extremely popular.

Shipwreck Beach Bar is on South Friars Beach about 200 metres further along than Carambola Beach Club.

Yes the beach is very narrow with easy access into the sea, it is a lot wide at the Carambola as they tend to maintain this section by importing sand. Carambola is probably the best beach bar you will see in the caribbean with excellent restroom facilities although they will charge a little extra for sunbeds. If you plan to go to the Carambola I would advise reserving your beds/umbrella online as they are extremely popular.

Mickey thanks so much for the information. We will probably take your advice and head to Carambola!

We went to Shipwreck this past December. Definitely not a busy place. Also not a great beach for swimming but really good for snorkeling! Free chairs and hammocks and great food. Lots of monkeys. We were eating lunch and a monkey came strolling up to the bar (within an arms reach of us) and started eating out of a bucket next to the bar. Sat there looking around for quite a while before slowly strolling back to a tree. Next time we'll go to a more exciting place but we had a good time here.

We went to Carambola and had a great day. Carambola is more of a "ritzy" beach bar area and Shipwreck is the opposite. But, shipwreck has the black sand and if you have never experienced that, it's worth checking out...totally cool and actually beautiful when the sun is shining. It looks like diamonds sparkling in the sand.

In between Carambola and Shipwreck is another beach place that seems really cool and it's probably where we'll head next time. It's called Discovery. There seems to be a lot of people online that love going there and it looks like a lot of fun.

I did a full review of Carambola and our walk all the way down to Shipwreck. It's located in my signature line and there's TONS of pictures! :)

Just got back and we lunched at the shipwreck bar on Feb. 9, 2017. Our guide suggested it as good food for reasonable prices. He was right. This is not a five star restaurant, it is a beach bar with character and good food. The beach is almost nonexistant, but the monkeys and mongoose made for a fun diversion. Painkillers go for five bucks, and as compared to the drinks on the Regal Princess, you could actually taste the alcohol. A full chicken meal went for eleven bucks. I would go again in a heartbeat.

Would it be safe to set up there then go back and forth between Shipwreck and Discovery? Also, what about our belongings while we swim or snorkel? Should be be very concerned? Just returned from St. John's and it was complete non-issue.

We went to Carambola and had a great day. Carambola is more of a "ritzy" beach bar area and Shipwreck is the opposite. But, shipwreck has the black sand and if you have never experienced that, it's worth checking out...totally cool and actually beautiful when the sun is shining. It looks like diamonds sparkling in the sand.

In between Carambola and Shipwreck is another beach place that seems really cool and it's probably where we'll head next time. It's called Discovery. There seems to be a lot of people online that love going there and it looks like a lot of fun.

I did a full review of Carambola and our walk all the way down to Shipwreck. It's located in my signature line and there's TONS of pictures! :)

I saw your review - as well as Pittsburghgirl - or something - I'm sorry I can't remember her screen name. That's terrible! lol. Both very nice and helpful reviews.

I asked a week or so ago about Shipwreck in a thread and definitely think we'll do Carambola's then walk to shipwreck to see the sand just like you guys did. Hopefully it's not too long of a walk. One of us had a bad knee and really can't do a ton of walking but we all wanna try and catch that black sand. My biggest concern is those darn monkeys. I know alot of people get a kick out of them, but I want no parts of it. None of us do, but I'm probably the only one that will be highly pissed if someone puts one near me for a pic. I can't stop them from roaming around if I'm there, but hopefully they don't bother you unless prompted. And I certainly won't be doing any prompting. lol. Can I ask how far in advance you reserved Carambola's and do you still have the contact information?

Yes we were there shipwreck yesterday the 15th. Group of 6. You want 70 perperson or 60 for 6 people. We had shade and 6 chairs and taxi take us . Same water same water front and a jimmy buffit place---- do shipwreck. Go early for best chairs. Many many locals there. We email lizpereir tours. She had Queenie pick us up. Nice lady nice taxi. I emailed liz the day before and she responded asap for next day.

Sent from my SPH-P500 using Forums mobile app

I saw your review - as well as Pittsburghgirl - or something - I'm sorry I can't remember her screen name. That's terrible! lol. Both very nice and helpful reviews.

I asked a week or so ago about Shipwreck in a thread and definitely think we'll do Carambola's then walk to shipwreck to see the sand just like you guys did. Hopefully it's not too long of a walk. One of us had a bad knee and really can't do a ton of walking but we all wanna try and catch that black sand. My biggest concern is those darn monkeys. I know alot of people get a kick out of them, but I want no parts of it. None of us do, but I'm probably the only one that will be highly pissed if someone puts one near me for a pic. I can't stop them from roaming around if I'm there, but hopefully they don't bother you unless prompted. And I certainly won't be doing any prompting. lol. Can I ask how far in advance you reserved Carambola's and do you still have the contact information?

The monkeys are coming down from the forest. No one is carrying them. Yes, the bar is feeding them but they are still wild.

We've been there twice. First time had great snorkeling and saw the monkeys. Second time the snorkeling wasn't as great, no monkeys, even less beach and was getting bit by mosquitoes and some sort of sand fleas. :( Definitely a casual vibe and very reasonably priced food and drinks.

http://www.carambolabeachclub.com/

Book well in advance. Arrive early.

The reservation is in the "drop down", top left of web page

The day we were there, you didn't have to go far to see the black sand. Mid way to Shipwreck there was black sand around Discovery Bar. However, from the things I've seen and read, the black sand and how much of it is on the beach can vary. I've seen people post that there wasn't any there the day they arrived. Maybe we got lucky. There was an abundance amount of it that day.

As for the monkeys at Shipwreck, they are wild and coming down to the beach because the people at shipwreck feed them. You shouldn't see any roaming around at Carambola. But their is a guy that carries one around for people to hold at Caramabola.

The monkeys are coming down from the forest. No one is carrying them. Yes, the bar is feeding them but they are still wild.

There was at Carambola the day we were there. We spent a majority of the day with him and the kids playing with the monkey. So, they do have someone carrying one and doing pictures there too. ;)

Same water same water front and a jimmy buffit place---- do shipwreck.

Sent from my SPH-P500 using Forums mobile app

I'm not sure I would call Shipwreck a "jimmy buffet place", as most cruisers would relate that to Margaritaville which is about as far from Shipwreck's enviorn as you can get. It is indeed a dive bar with thatched roofing set next to the water with eroding sand. I happen to like those types of places, but many won't.

The day we were there, you didn't have to go far to see the black sand. Mid way to Shipwreck there was black sand around Discovery Bar. However, from the things I've seen and read, the black sand and how much of it is on the beach can vary. I've seen people post that there wasn't any there the day they arrived. Maybe we got lucky. There was an abundance amount of it that day.

As for the monkeys at Shipwreck, they are wild and coming down to the beach because the people at shipwreck feed them. You shouldn't see any roaming around at Carambola. But their is a guy that carries one around for people to hold at Caramabola.

There was at Carambola the day we were there. We spent a majority of the day with him and the kids playing with the monkey. So, they do have someone carrying one and doing pictures there too. ;)

Thanks for the information!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Mickey thanks so much for the information. We will probably take your advice and head to Carambola!

YES!! Go to Carambola!! Shipwreck is still really run down. We walked down there about a month ago from Carambola and there was only 1 group of 3 girls there. I felt bad for them. We got dropped off there once too and it's a pretty horrible place. You will love Carambola! Here are a few pics!

20170123_095620_zpsgabeachz.jpg

20170123_143400_zpsnxeimrur.jpg

Thank you for this!!

Insider tip.

Now "Towels" have discovered Carambola. Ask the beach captain, when setting you up with mattress and umbrella, to move your bed closer to the sea.

This will shorten the distance between your bed and sea, and deter the no fee paying Towels from planting themselves at the end if your bed, to spoil your view (paid for).

Insider tip.

Now "Towels" have discovered Carambola. Ask the beach captain, when setting you up with mattress and umbrella, to move your bed closer to the sea.

This will shorten the distance between your bed and sea, and deter the no fee paying Towels from planting themselves at the end if your bed, to spoil your view (paid for).

Will do. Thanks! I'm writing all of this information down.

We were just a Carambola and Shipwreck last Friday 2/17. Taxi for 4 of us was $4 each and the return trip the same. Carambola was beautiful and we snorkeled most of the day. Beers were 6 for $15 and we walked the short distance to Shipwreck when it was lunch time. Fish tacos ( choice of Mahi Mahi/Grouper or Red Snapper), Conch Fritters...stiff drinks and fried plantain. The monkeys were pretty passive...we saw 2 only and a single mongoose. We left our gear at Carambola all day and no one messed with it. We had no reservation there, just showed up with money in hand, $10 for a lounger and $10 for an umbrella. It was a great day there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums