Disappointed even before our first cruise

The5jays

Here's a break down on our booking....

-Got in contact with local TA who sells cruises for Air Canada Vacations.

-told her what we were wanting either 3 or 4 day cruise for our first time. We were wanting to have everything paid upfront right away so that we could board and not have to worry about money. We are wanting to pre pay our gratatuities and we need a drink package. And we were also needing flights.

-couple of days later she came back (dec.31) with a 4day cruise and she said that she was able to get us a drink package and we could prepay our gratatuities. Also we are in a mini suite

- perfect all was booked and payed and she told me that she would be in contact with us as soon as our docks were in.

-I went 2 weeks ago to her office she gave me all my stuff and again told me that drink package was on there. I took her work for it as it was our first I did not know what is on the docks and I then about three days later she sent me my password for NCL and when I got on it I could not find anything about what we have already.

-I contacted NCL and they told me I did not have the drink pac. THIS WAS FRIDAY PAST

-I imedality contacted the TA, and then she emailed me back and she told me that she just off the phone with air Canada vacations and I guess for some reason she must not of checked off the box when she thought she did. Therefore I don't get it.

- she said no big deal just buy on and that's it cause you did not already pay for it.

- BUT...... I was not expecting this additional cost.....I thought I was either already paid for it or it was included like she told met was....this is my disappointment.

Disappointment that she what is suppose to be the professional with this did not see that she did not recheck before submitting my cruise. Disappointment that I thought I was done and that everything was paid up.

This one reason I NEVER book with a TA. No need to get a third party involved in the middle of your booking process. If you look for the specials and other offers you can almost always do better directly with NCL anyway.

We get half of the commission back, so we almost always use our TA. That said, we always double check the reservation, and everyone who uses a TA or books directly should do the same. It's foolish not to check.

It seems like the TA never said the drinks package was free, just that it wasn't added, because she says you can still pay for it. I'd ask what promotions did you get with your booking. We're the gratuities free, or just paid for upfront. Did you choose your cabin when booking, or was one assigned?

It seems like the TA never said the drinks package was free, just that it wasn't added, because she says you can still pay for it. I'd ask what promotions did you get with your booking. We're the gratuities free, or just paid for upfront. Did you choose your cabin when booking, or was one assigned?

I think this is spot on. Maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't seem to me as though the TA ever said that the package would be included for no extra cost. They were going to order it at the time of booking. That is probably why they are suggesting to buy it onboard. If they had ticked the box then the price would have been $1000 more.

This does beg the question as to why it isn't included as a perk, but going down that route will probably just result in the same conversation we had last week regarding another Canadian booking which didn't have it.

Wishing you a wonderful first cruise! I know it is disappointing and you want a worry-free holiday. In my very Canadian way, "Sorry!" ;). Many things will go smoothly and I hope you catch the cruise bug like we did. These boards always have great suggestions to make the most of your holiday.

We chose Norwegian because we ran the numbers and the Canada at Par deal saved us essentially 30% on the cruise, which added up to much more than we would have got with the Free at Sea deals. I'm just going to buy my chosen beverages without package and pay corkage fee for a couple bottles of wine when I board. Yes, it does add to costs afterwards but at least the spending is spread out.

Have fun and happy sailing!

-I went 2 weeks ago to her office she gave me all my stuff and again told me that drink package was on there. I took her work for it as it was our first I did not know what is on the docks and I then about three days later she sent me my password for NCL and when I got on it I could not find anything about what we have already.

-I contacted NCL and they told me I did not have the drink pac. THIS WAS FRIDAY PAST

So wait - you actually went to your travel agent to pick up your documents in person, and you didn't even bother looking at them to make sure they were correct WHILE YOU WERE THERE? (At that point, you may have been able to speak to your TA or to a supervisor or manager to get it straightened out.)

Do you always buy things without looking at the receipt - especially such high priced items as cruises?

While your TA may have screwed up (although at this point it's hard to tell), you definitely need to verify that what you pay for is actually what you get - and you neglected to do that until it was too late.

I bet you learned a lesson for next time. Get it in writing, and DOUBLECHECK that it's correct.

Looking back at my past emails from the TA she did say " was able to find you a suite with prepaid grant. And a bev. Package included......

So I was just going on what she told me.

I am sorry if I'm confusing people.

Like I said before you learn from your mistakes. I did not know what I was doing because it was my first time and that's why I went with a TA because I thought I would not have this problem

Again lesson learned

Maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't seem to me as though the TA ever said that the package would be included for no extra cost.
But apparently she led the OP to believe that all the extra costs (for drinks and gratuities) were included in the December 31 quote. And it sounds like the TA believed it herself. :(

But apparently she led the OP to believe that all the extra costs (for drinks and gratuities) were included in the December 31 quote. And it sounds like the TA believed it herself. :(

Yeah, I don't think that we will ever know for sure, because there is the scope for misunderstandings. I note from the recent post that she said in an email that the beverage package was included with a suite, so maybe the OP just assumed that to be the case even when talking about a mini suite.

I don't know the details of Canadian bookings, but my guess (which may be quite wrong) is that the TA offered a suite with beverage package included as an option. For whatever reason they then looked at mini suites and at this point the confusion started and the TA was planning on the beverage package being paid for, whilst the OP still thought it was included.

This specific Canadian promo that doesn't include the free at sea offers seems to introduce some confusion.

Edited by KeithJenner

Looking back at my past emails from the TA she did say " was able to find you a suite with prepaid grant. And a bev. Package included......

Like I said before you learn from your mistakes. I did not know what I was doing because it was my first time and that's why I went with a TA because I thought I would not have this problem

Again lesson learned

A mini-suite (which is what you said you got) is NOT an actual suite - not in any way, shape or form.

I would guess that either there was a serious lapse in communication, or your TA had absolutely no clue what she was doing.

Again lesson learned

Write to your TA and attach that email where the TA says that the gratuities and drink package is included. Tell them that they owe you exactly what was outlined in the email, even if it is on their dime. If they don't comply, keep escalating it. With proof, there is no way they can expect a simple "sorry" to suffice. Keep pushing (politely).

So wait - you actually went to your travel agent to pick up your documents in person, and you didn't even bother looking at them to make sure they were correct WHILE YOU WERE THERE?

Do you always buy things without looking at the receipt - especially such high priced items as cruises?

I bet you learned a lesson for next time. Get it in writing, and DOUBLECHECK that it's correct.

I do think that the important issue here is in the title of the OP. "FIRST CRUISE". Can you remember when you were taking your first cruise? Did you know everything about what you doing? I wonder. Some of the comments in this thread towards the OP are rather unfair in my opinion.

Are you going to two ports? I would say it would not be worth it to buy the drink package. Drinks in ports are often so cheap and likely two of your days will be in port for a good part of the day. Then just buy drinks on board outright. If you like wine, you can bring a bottle each but do have to pay a $15 corkage fee. Cocktails range from $10-$15 and there is often a drink of the day for $7.95. For a short cruise it is likely not worth $1000 canadian. But that is my opinion. I think if you decide to book another cruise, shop around and look at prices with and without the perks because often the cruise price is substantially more with the perks. And if you like NCL, you can buy cruise next deposits on the ship and they are buy one get one free and are good for four years. Its a great deal. It pays to shop around also because that seems like a pretty high price for a four day cruise. Red tag is a good canadian site and they often have better prices than booking directly with ncl in my 8 cruise experience. Not always but often. I hope you can still enjoy your cruise.

Are you going to two ports?
Only one port (Costa Maya) and two sea days. I still don't think it's worth paying full price for the UBP, but it is apparent that the OP is willing to pay (a lot) upfront so that they don't have to worry about additional charges during the cruise. And/or they really drink a lot. Either way, fair enough.

I agree 100%. I would pursue this.

I agree, she gave you a price that was supposed to include the package, and you agreed based on tha price. Maybe you wouldn't have booked it if it was another $1000. I think the TA did forget to click a button, which would've changed the total.