Sheltered or Obstructed Balcony

cindy1957

Personally I am not a fan of the sheltered balconies as you cannot see the sea unless standing up, and the in hull design makes the cabin rather dark.

If budget is a consideration, I would choose an obstructed view balcony - which is even cheaper - by carefully looking at the deckplan and selecting a cabin with less of an obstruction.

Edited by cruiseluvva

I would choose a sheltered balcony over obstructed. Depending on which obstructed balcony you get, you could have a room with an orange glow on a sunny day. I've never found an obstructed balcony room to be dark. I don't think our deck 11 cabin was much brighter than any of our sheltered cabins.

On a TA, I'd definitely go for sheltered. I've been able to sit outside on my sheltered balcony on crossings when people with the glass-front balconies said it was too windy.

I've travelled in QM2 2x - one TA & one 13 day carib cruise - both in a Sheltered Balcony cabin. First off I always choose a mid ship cabin for comfort/ avoiding sea sickness no matter the seas. On the TA it was wonderful just to be outside w/ morning coffee or reading in the afternoon & for a breath of fresh air prior to retiring no matter the weather.

On the Carib cruise it provided respite from the sun....I enjoy the pool etc onboard but being out in the sun for too long is not good. So mid day to go read / have lunch or a nap the balcony was perfect.

I've had regular balcony's on other ships & have seen furniture tossed around the cabin during storms( my Father was in the US Navy during WW2 & taught me to stick to mid ship cabins). I've also travelled solo & w/ my partner so the costs vary but I did not miss the Queens & Princess Grills(had done that on QE2) but for the most part I'm out & about the ship and the time spent in the cabin & balcony is my choice but well worth the extra costs every time.

Whatever your choice enjoy the ship & your voyage...Bon Voyage!

The lifeboats aren't as close to the obstructed balcony as I had assumed. If possible I think you'd want a lifeboat (or even better, a Zodiac) outside your balcony rather than a tender, which is taller. I'm about six feet tall and could (barely) see the horizon over the top of the lifeboat outside our balcony. If you look at a photo, the tenders are midships, outside of the more expensive midship cabins while the lifeboats are mostly forward of the tenders.

Also bear in mind that at a tender port the crew will be outside your balcony preparing and securing the tenders, although that will give you a better view for part of that day.

But you won't have much of a view of the ocean from either an obstructed or a sheltered balcony while seated, if that matters.

Slightly off topic but we are about to book a July crossing in a sheltered cabin. We would have preferred an obstructed view on deck 8 but our TA offers a very good price on a BZ category cabin. Now my question is which deck to choose, 4-5-6? We'd like to be as high as possible but is the noise from deck 7 promenade really a problem if we book a deck 6 cabin?

Hi,

In November 2014, I did a transatlantic crossing on the QM2 in a sheltered balcony on Deck 6. Because the weather was sometimes cold and windy, I liked the fact that the sheltered balcony was fairly well protected from the weather. I agree that the stateroom did not receive much light from the outside. I chose one of the lower priced balcony staterooms because I was paying the single supplement.

Chuck

On a TA I always travel in a sheltered balcony. The first time, it was simply because that was the only cabin available. I was concerned but it was great.

If the sea gets rough or there is a lot of wind resulting in the closure of the decks other balcony doors can also be difficult to open. However, in a sheltered balcony one can always get some fresh air.

• 4 weeks later...

We are booked in BF on the QE (with the metal enclosed railing rather than glass). Is this what this thread refers to as sheltered balcony? I didn't see those words in any of the Cunard literature. Just curious.