Allure - Self Debarkation - Advice

martyap

Rather than have an early flight, we have a late flight from FLL. We rented a car for the day from Thrifty near the port with drop off at FLL. We want to get off the ship by around 8am so we could hopefully p/u the car by 9-9:30....if the stars are all in alignment.

What would you suggest we do? Self debarkation? Notify guest services of our request for the earliest departure? We never had the need to get off early so we have always just left our bags out the night before. We considered using valet but it seems like a waste of money since we have the rental car.

Thanks for any tips.

Karen

Would you mind if I ask how much the rental car is? We are looking into doing the same thing, as our flight doesn't leave until 7:45 p.m. Are you taking a cab from the port to Thrifty?

For pre-cruise I got really good prices using Costco travel, intermediate SUV,

p/u FLL, drop off at the port, Saturday 4/1-4/2........$41 complete

For post cruise the best I could find was directly with Thrifty, using an AAA code, p/u at port, drop off at FLL, mid-size......$38 complete

The pre I actually tweaked for a lower price the other day.

The post I did several weeks ago and prices are higher now.

Pre.....probably shuttle to ship

Post.....Taxi or shuttle depending on time off ship and availability

What do you mean by self-disembarkment?

Rather than putting your luggage outside your stateroom on the last night of the cruise and letting the crew take it off the ship, you keep the luggage and carry it off yourself in the morning.

I thought you had to leave it outside your stateroom the last night. What are the advantages/disadvantages to both ways? We will be picking up a rental car after the cruise so there's no sense in doing the luggage valet. What would be the better option for the luggage, leave it outside for them to pick up or take it ourselves?

We have some plan for our upcoming cruise with thrifty as well. I put 9 as pick up time but figured would just do regular disembark. On our last cruise, everyone got held up in customs so it didn't matter when you disembarked. I hate carrying off luggage, but following to see suggestions.

I thought you had to leave it outside your stateroom the last night. What are the advantages/disadvantages to both ways? We will be picking up a rental car after the cruise so there's no sense in doing the luggage valet. What would be the better option for the luggage, leave it outside for them to pick up or take it ourselves?

Depends on how much gear you've got and how you feel about hauling it all with you that morning.

Advantage to self debarkation is that you can be off the ship early and there's no searching for your bags in the pile, but you've got to drag it with you from your cabin all the way through the process.

I would still use LV and avoid the dragging around and possibly having to open it for Customs or checking at FLL. Without luggage you can walk off anytime.

I assume you will only have carry on as that's all your suppose to have to self disembark.

What do you mean by self-disembarkment?

Rather than leave your luggage outside the cabin at night, you can keep it inside and walk it off yourself. Usually they ask people doing this to be off the ship early.

In order to do this, you must be able to physically handle your luggage down the stairs. The advantages are that you don't have to have everything packed as early and you don't have to be down in the luggage area with hundreds of other people trying to spot your bags. That is why I asked if there are carousels. Much more orderly.

• 10 months later...
I would still use LV and avoid the dragging around and possibly having to open it for Customs or checking at FLL. Without luggage you can walk off anytime.

I assume you will only have carry on as that's all your suppose to have to self disembark.

Agreed! The luggage valet is awesome, not only did we not have to locate our baggage in the port, we did not have to lug them into the airport and check them in. It is the best $25 per person we ever spent!

Sent from my iPad using Forums