US Passport Card

RMLincoln

I'm getting close to time to renew my passport and I'm considering ordering the additional Passport Card. I've never had one before so I'd like to hear what others experiences are with this and what advantages it would provide. Thanks for your thoughts. m--

I'm getting close to time to renew my passport and I'm considering ordering the additional Passport Card. I've never had one before so I'd like to hear what others experiences are with this and what advantages it would provide. Thanks for your thoughts. m--

We have no idea of your needs in regards to international travel and cannot offer any advice because of that.

Do you only cruise the Caribbean? Are they only closed loop cruises?

Are you going to the Med, UK, Baltic, South America, etc.?

I'm very happy to have it. If I'm at a port where photo ID is required it serves as my ID. If my passport book must go out where I need to get a VISA (Eg China for Grand Asia) I have a travel document I can use while the book is not available. It allows me to keep the passport book in the safe and not risk losing it to a pickpocket. Just a little extra money when renewing the passport and to me well worth it.

Roy

We have no idea of your needs in regards to international travel and cannot offer any advice because of that.

Do you only cruise the Caribbean? Are they only closed loop cruises?

Are you going to the Med, UK, Baltic, South America, etc.?

One never knows what the future will bring... but we have been on many long trips, complex itineraries.... 16 weeks to Australia, New Zealand, land and cruises combined; 11 weeks Europe from Iceland to Budapest and cruise return; 9 weeks Iceland to Istanbul with land tours and cruises...

Not sure where we'll go in the next 10 years, maybe Asia, maybe around South America again, probably not a World Cruise but hopefully some long trips.

I'm very happy to have it. If I'm at a port where photo ID is required it serves as my ID. If my passport book must go out where I need to get a VISA (Eg China for Grand Asia) I have a travel document I can use while the book is not available. It allows me to keep the passport book in the safe and not risk losing it to a pickpocket. Just a little extra money when renewing the passport and to me well worth it.

Roy

Thank you Roy, I hadn't really thought about it being a good ID instead of my state driver's license which I'd be lost without and not easily replaced abroad.

Can the Card be used to enter the US if a Passport is lost or stolen? By ship or by air? Thanks, m--

One never knows what the future will bring... but we have been on many long trips, complex itineraries.... 16 weeks to Australia, New Zealand, land and cruises combined; 11 weeks Europe from Iceland to Budapest and cruise return; 9 weeks Iceland to Istanbul with land tours and cruises...

Not sure where we'll go in the next 10 years, maybe Asia, maybe around South America again, probably not a World Cruise but hopefully some long trips.

Thank you Roy, I hadn't really thought about it being a good ID instead of my state driver's license which I'd be lost without and not easily replaced abroad.

Can the Card be used to enter the US if a Passport is lost or stolen? By ship or by air? Thanks, m--

If you are traveling as you describe, the passport card would serve as photo ID along with your ship card to return to the ship in any given port.

You cannot fly internationally, even from Canada, with the card, you need the book. You need the book for everything except closed loop cruises in the Caribbean and Alaska, and land crossings between the US and Canada or Mexico.

Trips to Asia, Europe, Australia, Africa, etc, etc, will definitely require the book.

If you lose your passport book in a foreign land, having the card would speed up the process of replacing your book at an American consulate or embassy.

If you are traveling as you describe, the passport card would serve as photo ID along with your ship card to return to the ship in any given port.

You cannot fly internationally, even from Canada, with the card, you need the book. You need the book for everything except closed loop cruises in the Caribbean and Alaska, and land crossings between the US and Canada or Mexico.

Trips to Asia, Europe, Australia, Africa, etc, etc, will definitely require the book.

If you lose your passport book in a foreign land, having the card would speed up the process of replacing your book at an American consulate or embassy.

More insights, thank you. It's looking like a very useful extra photo ID for ports, and maybe even domestic air travel (my NM Driver's License is not the new REAL ID type yet, probably will be in a couple of years). Still probably not a bad deal for the extra $30 to add some robustness. Thank you TF. m--

We use them as an extra photo ID in port or for domestic air travel. They're also good as waterproof ID when you go to the beach. They used to be a very reasonable $10 extra, but it's gone up.

Have had one for years for use as ID in ports and have never had it questioned when used. Much prefer using this so not to lose my driver's license (usually rent a car to get home), only carry my passport when required, and like the 3rd ID plus it perfectly fits into my little travel wallet. TSA is reluctant to accept these - good grief, the State Dept issues these - but I understand they are coming around. Has never happened but if I got lost or left in a port, could use this to have authorities access my passport information, if needed.

Have had one for years for use as ID in ports and have never had it questioned when used. Much prefer using this so not to lose my driver's license (usually rent a car to get home), only carry my passport when required, and like the 3rd ID plus it perfectly fits into my little travel wallet. TSA is reluctant to accept these - good grief, the State Dept issues these - but I understand they are coming around. Has never happened but if I got lost or left in a port, could use this to have authorities access my passport information, if needed.

These are the reasons I also find it useful... though I have never had an issue with TSA

can they be purchased separately or only when you renew you passport?

My recollection is that the only way to do that is to renew your passport prematurely. Having several years to go on my passport I started with a NEXUS card which carries all the same privileges and allows flights to/from Canada, but NEXUS requires a personal interview with both US and Canadian immigration at one of a few border points. If you live near one those stations I highly recommend it. NEXUS also carries Global Entry privileges. Mine is expiring and I am struggling to find a way to get to a station to renew it.

Roy

I never thought of a Nexus card. But it's not easy to get to a Canadian border point for me, maybe if we are visiting in Seattle? Probably not going to work if I'd need an interview appointment. But that does sound like a better alternative to the Passport Card because of the Global Entry feature.

Oh well, I think the info here convinces me that the Passport Card is probably worth the $30 extra. Thank you all for your insights! m--

A Passport costs $8 per year more then a Passport Card. The Passport allows you to travel nearly anywhere on earth (via ship or air). For us, it is a no-brainer. If we lived near the Canadian border we would probably also want to have a Passport Card for its convenience. But otherwise we have no use for the card. As to using it as "government id" we simply use our drivers license (much cheaper to replace then a Passport card). We also have a Global Entry card which is another acceptable government ID.

Hank

A Passport costs $8 per year more then a Passport Card. The Passport allows you to travel nearly anywhere on earth (via ship or air). For us, it is a no-brainer. If we lived near the Canadian border we would probably also want to have a Passport Card for its convenience. But otherwise we have no use for the card. As to using it as "government id" we simply use our drivers license (much cheaper to replace then a Passport card). We also have a Global Entry card which is another acceptable government ID.

Hank

Yes, I will have the passport book renewed, an absolute must, but am considering adding a Card. My NM driver's license costs $34 for 8 years, so not very cheap, and necessary for rental car so a big issue if lost.

I will look into Global Entry but I think that is on separate schedule, not tied to the Passport renewal. I recall that GE costs about $100 for 5 years? It wasn't worth it to us last time I looked; I guess we've been lucky to never have to wait long getting back into the US. I think 20 minutes was the very max, probably at Port Everglades, and only once; most often we walk right through, or only wait a minute or two.

If I had a phone that could do it I think the new app is the way to go but not having cell signals where we live we haven't invested in smart phone contracts - yet.

m--

I never thought of a Nexus card. But it's not easy to get to a Canadian border point for me, maybe if we are visiting in Seattle? Probably not going to work if I'd need an interview appointment. But that does sound like a better alternative to the Passport Card because of the Global Entry feature.

Oh well, I think the info here convinces me that the Passport Card is probably worth the $30 extra. Thank you all for your insights! m--

How far are you from El Paso? SENTRI is the Mexican equivalent of NEXUS and is closer but I suspect not close enough.

Roy

U I

My recollection is that the only way to do that is to renew your passport prematurely. Having several years to go on my passport I started with a NEXUS card which carries all the same privileges and allows flights to/from Canada, but NEXUS requires a personal interview with both US and Canadian immigration at one of a few border points. If you live near one those stations I highly recommend it. NEXUS also carries Global Entry privileges. Mine is expiring and I am struggling to find a way to get to a station to renew it.

Roy

I got my paswsport crd when I erwnewed my passport last year. I am ha[y to have it.

U I

Roy

I got my passport card when I erenewed my passport last year. I am happy to have it.

• 6 months later...

Roy

Sorry for reopening an old thread but I just renewed my NEXUS and thought I would pass on what the experience was like:

My main plan for today was to complete renewal of my NEXUS card. That’s a joint program of the US and Canadian border authorities to give screened “trusted” travelers faster and easier crossings of the US Canadian border but has several other benefits, especially the benefits that come with Global Entry and TSA pre-check. The down side is the application process, especially the need for a personal interview at one of a small number of enrollment centers, generally either on the US-Canada border or in Canadian airports. A MAJOR down side for people living in Maryland. I did the first interview in 2011 in conjunction with my 50-year high school reunion, but all good things, including the term of my NEXUS card, come to an end.

While on my spring cruises I hadn’t realized how long approval and enrollment could take, and had not wanted to have an approval before I could schedule the interview. I even hesitated to apply while things settled down with post cruise obligations, submitting the application on June 14 and expecting a quick “conditional approval”. I hadn’t noticed that the enrollment site said “conditional approval” took 3-5 months. I was hoping the vetting process for a renewal would be faster; it was although it still took longer than I was hoping for. The conditional approval came July 28, about 6 weeks after application.

I had hoped to schedule the interview at Montreal Airport after disembarking the Grande Caribe with a fallback plan of Vancouver before my September Holland America cruise. Both Vancouver and Montreal were fully booked up through my potential interview date. I had options of either the Washington-British Columbia border (I set up but changed an appoint there) or the NY-Quebec border North of Plattsburgh NY. I decided to overnight in Pittsburgh rather than risk getting delayed at the border and missing the appointment.

I left the LaQuinta about 9 (a bit later than planned) and was at the Enrollment Center at 9:25 for my 9:30 appointment. Well almost. I was at the wrong building but the right one was very close. The center was at the end of a longish walk highlighted by yellow stripes. I entered just about 9:30.

There was no checkin desk, just a row of chairs. I took a seat and waited. An agent came out and asked the people waiting about appointments. One had an earlier appointment than me but I was seen about 9:40. The US agent checked my documents, fingerprinted and photographed and asked a few questions. She talked about a change in the procedure where they now don’t check vehicle data but any vehicle now works with the NEXUS, and I did verify that the NEXUS card was a WHTI compliant identification. Near the end of the interview a Canadian agent came by and asked if I was almost finished; he had a question for my agent. We soon wrapped things up and the US agent kept my drivers license and passport and had me return to the seating area.

While seated I verified that the process is not totally automatic. The agent who had stopped by called a man waiting and told him his application needed to go to a supervisor. He would either be contacted for followup questions or he would get an approval or denial notice.

The Canadian agent called me and looked at my records and said “This is a renewal; this will be quick”. I mentioned a bit of a surprise since the old card was expired and he explained another change in procedures. They now have sort of a “rolling” expiration. Since I submitted the renewal application before the expiration date my “expired” NEXUS card was still valid until I have my new card, several months after the printed date. Canada uses an iris scan for identifying members rather than fingerprints, he said my iris scan was good for life. That was it and I was back in the car about 10AM. The “approval” email was in my inbox before I reached my car.

Roy

Roy

Dito. I renewed my pasport last year and at the same time got a passport card. I do not take my passport out of the safe in mos port annd would rather use the passport card at t security when returning to the ship at the end of a port day than use mylicense. Pain in the neck if lose the drivers license. I' prefer not usigg that for shoreside ID.

I'm very happy to have it. If I'm at a port where photo ID is required it serves as my ID. If my passport book must go out where I need to get a VISA (Eg China for Grand Asia) I have a travel document I can use while the book is not available. It allows me to keep the passport book in the safe and not risk losing it to a pickpocket. Just a little extra money when renewing the passport and to me well worth it. Roy
Ditto

. I renewed my passport last year and at the same time got a passport card. I do not take my passport out of the safe in most ports and would rather use the passport card at t security when returning to the ship at the end of a port day than use my license. Pain in the neck if lose the drivers license. I' prefer not using that for shoreside ID.