Queen's Grill dress code.

majortom10

We are going on QE in a suite for the first time and was wondering even though the dress code states for informal nights a suit/jacket with open necked shirt is acceptable would it look out of place in the Queen's Grill or do men wear a tie every informal night and bow ties on formal nights.

I wear a tie every night but that is my choice. I just think the Grills warrant it. I have never noticed who else has a tie. If you comply with the stated dress code you cannot be out of place. If you are concerned pack a tie or two. You can also see how you feel on the night.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

We are going on QE in a suite for the first time and was wondering even though the dress code states for informal nights a suit/jacket with open necked shirt is acceptable would it look out of place in the Queen's Grill or do men wear a tie every informal night and bow ties on formal nights.

Although I have not yet had the pleasure of a cruise on Cunard, it is on my bucket list.

I find it quite funny that on most cruise lines, when a question on dress code is asked, it always seems to be "The dress code says XXX but can I get away with XXX-" but on the Cunard board it is "The dress code says XXX but can I get away with XXX++++"

• Haha 1

In my experience [Diamond, all but 13 days in QG, on QE and QV] the majority of chaps wear black tie [or colourful bow tie for some] on a formal evening. For informal evenings, sometimes the majority can be wearing a tie and jacket, sometimes very few wear a tie with their jacket. Warm/ hot weather cruises seem to have a more relaxed approach with fewer ties being worn. My husband decides on the night, when he chooses his shirt. It's entirely up to you.. You won't be out of place wearing a tie, or going tieless.

I take the view that the dress code provides a starting point not a upper limit for my attempts at sartorial elegance. In my experience, many if not most gentlemen will wear a tie most if not every evening in The Queens Grill on QE. As Stephen says, the room and the atmosphere does seem to drive one that way. However, it is fair to say that during warm weather voyages fewer ties will be in evidence on informal nights.

My husband tends to wear a tie with a suit, but no tie with a jacket and trousers. He always wears a bow tie with his dinner suit. This is in QG, PG AND Britannia!

On World Voyages, there are FAR fewer ties in evidence, again in all restaurants.

Does it always require a black bow with a dinner suit or can a touch of colour be accommodated ?

You can wear a sky blue and pink one with yellow polka dots if you wish although you might have to put up with a few smiles so yes a touch of colour is absolutely fine.

There is no difference in the dress code just because it's QG. It's not stuffy or rarefied. It's just a smaller restaurant which happens to go with the largest cabins.

You can wear a sky blue and pink one with yellow polka dots if you wish although you might have to put up with a few smiles so yes a touch of colour is absolutely fine.

There is no difference in the dress code just because it's QG. It's not stuffy or rarefied. It's just a smaller restaurant which happens to go with the largest cabins.

Thanks for the reply , we are not in QG but Britannia , its our 1st Cunard cruise and wanting to comply with the dress code I am buying my 1st dinner suit and my wife saw a couple of black ties with a bit of colour/sparke thats why I asked ..

Evening wear is also called "black tie" nights. Not blue, pink or any other colour.

Same goes for your shoes.

Whilst black is the required tie for the code according to Debrett's, not everyone on-board will have read the manual and a 'touch' of colour will be sported by many. Some may even go a little further and have more than a touch. I'm just glad JB9302 is buying his first dinner suit to comply with the dress code. A little sparkle in his bow tie will be fine.

There does seem to be a lot of coloured neckwear on formal nights these days; sometimes there are even dinner jackets in colours other than black! It all adds to the sense of occasion and, in my opinion, is to be encouraged.

What you mentioning is fine for the Grills or any part of Cunard. We usually wore ties even on "informal" nights, but that was our choice. A turtle neck with a sport coat & trousers would be fine as well.

Thanks for the reply , we are not in QG but Britannia , its our 1st Cunard cruise and wanting to comply with the dress code I am buying my 1st dinner suit and my wife saw a couple of black ties with a bit of colour/sparke thats why I asked ..

As this is a guys thing JB9302, I'd take no notice of Victoria 2's suggestion of Sky Blue , Pink or yellow spotted, otherwise you may be taken for a member of the entertainment department or worse still a Bingo Caller.

Back tie evening events are just that, Black Tie, which is sophisticated, understated and very much in keeping with the majority of us guys who travel Cunard. ;)

• Like 1

What you mentioning is fine for the Grills or any part of Cunard. We usually wore ties even on "informal" nights, but that was our choice. A turtle neck with a sport coat & trousers would be fine as well.

MAJORTOM ... I don't know if I would say "out of place" but it will be noticeable. I prefer to not go sans tie with a button-up long sleeve shirt so I choose the tie for my own comfort.

BUT ... thank you so much for the turtleneck idea KEITHM! I will definitely be packing one for our crossing next fall.

Cheers!

• Like 1

I've traveled Queen's Grill twice. On informal nights, I've worn a jacket and open-colored dress shirt with trousers. On formal nights, I've worn black jacket and trousers, white shirt and a dark tie. I've not been shunned or laughed at, at least as far as I could tell.

As this is a guys thing JB9302, I'd take no notice of Victoria 2's suggestion of Sky Blue , Pink or yellow spotted, otherwise you may be taken for a member of the entertainment department or worse still a Bingo Caller.

Back tie evening events are just that, Black Tie, which is sophisticated, understated and very much in keeping with the majority of us guys who travel Cunard. ;)

I would take no notice of my sky blue and pink either as it was said in exaggeration in order to illustrate a point. Hopefully, JB9302 would have taken that on-board!

I might not be a 'guy', but I spend my evenings with them and I know what I have seen and I have seen black, black with a touch of colour and even some very colourful bow ties. A right mixture. JB9302 will be fine with his choices.

I would take no notice of my sky blue and pink either as it was said in exaggeration in order to illustrate a point. Hopefully, JB9302 would have taken that on-board!

I might not be a 'guy', but I spend my evenings with them and I know what I have seen and I have seen black, black with a touch of colour and even some very colourful bow ties. A right mixture. JB9302 will be fine with his choices.

Nothing like a bit of exaggeration eh Victoria.

I'm all for adding a bit of colour no matter who I cruise with...

12519334873_6e3b9dc0bd_z.jpg

10191073256_d3c7229cf4_z.jpg

• Like 2

Good morning Bell Boy.

I'm with you entirely but would also add a cummerbund. Why spoil the ship for a ha’porth of tar?

There does seem to be a lot of coloured neckwear on formal nights these days; sometimes there are even dinner jackets in colours other than black! It all adds to the sense of occasion and, in my opinion, is to be encouraged.

Correct Fifer. I'm all for colours as long as they are reasonably coordinated...

31955940644_5eb8a7f277_z.jpg

• Like 2

The great thing about ties (coloured or not) is they take very little space and weight to pack. They can be taken off, put on and changed in seconds. I take quite a few and decide on the day. You might wear a tie for dinner on a informal night but take it off for the theatre or dance floor. Even on formal night many people take off jackets and ties for dancing in the Queens Room.

Personally I think I would find turtle neck a bit warm even on a cold weather cruise. On formal nights I would stick to a black bow tie. You do see more colourful outfits but it is not for me.

Best wishes, Stephen.

MAJORTOM ... I don't know if I would say "out of place" but it will be noticeable. I prefer to not go sans tie with a button-up long sleeve shirt so I choose the tie for my own comfort.

BUT ... thank you so much for the turtleneck idea KEITHM! I will definitely be packing one for our crossing next fall.

Cheers!

Turtle neck looks good, providing a person is not too over weight! I'm a good 25LB over weight & have a nice turtle neck with horizontal stripes. Unfortunately, it kind of makes me look a lot bigger than perhaps I would be!

The great thing about ties (coloured or not) is they take very little space and weight to pack. They can be taken off, put on and changed in seconds. I take quite a few and decide on the day. You might wear a tie for dinner on a informal night but take it off for the theatre or dance floor. Even on formal night many people take off jackets and ties for dancing in the Queens Room.

Personally I think I would find turtle neck a bit warm even on a cold weather cruise. On formal nights I would stick to a black bow tie. You do see more colourful outfits but it is not for me.

Best wishes, Stephen.

There are some turtle neck shirts that aren't too heavy, but I do see your point.

I did wonder if there were turtle neck shirts. A bit of googling brings up a wide variety of turtle neck clothing including what I could only describe as a leotard. You would have to have a very good figure for that garment which luckily the model does have. I live and learn. Perhaps I am too traditional.

I take your point about about weight too that would concern me.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums