Amber Cove Samana switch

jmacjmac

Hi all. I'm sailing on Koningsdam on March 12th and a couple of weeks ago got an email from HAL saying Amber Cove was being replaced By Samana "to enhance your guest experience". today I got one stating the original itinerary has been reinstated. I was just wondering if anybody knows the reason for the original switch and also the reason for the switch back. It's no big deal to me either way, I'm just curious.

Thanks

JM

Any info on amber cove such as beach and pool area how close to pier any charge for admission and chair rental?

We were just there in early Dec. To beach area (at least that I saw) but a very nice pool/bar area with zip line and some smaller water slides. Maybe 100 yards from the pier. Lots of shops in the area, but not very busy.

We took a bus tour into the nearby city - it was a waste of time and money, so I would avoid it.

We were in Samana last winter. Yes, it is a long tender ride. And we docked out of town, which meant a walk in the heat or getting a taxi.

Best part was seeing whales on the way into Samana Bay. Of course, you know HAL captains, they like to be early. Fortunately we were up a half hour ahead of the time he said we'd see whales, so we did see them. People who were on time (theoretically) were late and missed the show. For people doing the whale watch tour, it was an easy trip from the tender dock back out to the bay. It would be a lot farther from Amber Cove. But maybe there are whale areas out there, too.

Second best part was the little street market in Samana. In the midst of the same ol' same ol' mass-produced conch and larimar jewelry that you see everywhere, I found a vendor with lovely individually designed pieces. My husband rolls his eyes when I look at the "tourist tat" but there can be hidden gems (literally!).

Samana itself didn't have much to see. Bars, of course, and a few convenience stores. And it was hot as Hades!

Just back and it appeared all the Amber Cove facilities were free (except for the shops naturally).

However if one wants more than just the sun and sea experience we can recommend the HAL shore-ex Insider City tour - Santa Domingo - We got a very good feel for the country side and one of its major urban centers. As well as extended and very good commentary from the guide about the history and local politics of the country itself.

We were just there in early Dec. To beach area (at least that I saw) but a very nice pool/bar area with zip line and some smaller water slides. Maybe 100 yards from the pier. Lots of shops in the area, but not very busy.

We took a bus tour into the nearby city - it was a waste of time and money, so I would avoid it.

Agree totally! The shops are not busy, and not making any deals, as if the amber is rare as diamonds :confused:

The nearby town is cute, but homely, and most buildings are in a very dlkapidated state.

THe beaches are not very clean, and not very inviting.

Total waste if time and money.

The beaches at Amber Cove were gross! The occasional smell of raw sewage was overwhelming. They should rename it "**** Cove". Did a "city" tour of Puerto Plata -- they should rename it also to Peeling Paint. What a dump. Literally. Highlight of the ride in was a panoramic view of the municipal dump,

"Steaming" out of the cove, there were many patches of what appeared to be raw sewage and garbage floating ... and it smelled awful.

Not sure if the photo will upload properly, but it gives you an idea of water quality -- do you want to go swimming or any other water sports in that? It frankly reminded me of my Baby Ruth Acapulco encounter in the '80s.

(Photo taken Jan. 25, 2017 from the Eurodam, departing "Amber" cove)

Any info on amber cove such as beach and pool area how close to pier any charge for admission and chair rental?

There is no charge for a chair rental, however an umbrella that shades two loungers will cost you $20.

The pool area is clean and the chairs are plentiful. There are a number of shops selling the usual fare; at least one of them provides free wi-fi (password posted inside).

There is no charge for a chair rental, however an umbrella that shades two loungers will cost you $20.

The pool area is clean and the chairs are plentiful. There are a number of shops selling the usual fare; at least one of them provides free wi-fi (password posted inside).

I just asked the bartender and he provided the wi-fi password without a problem (or purchase).

When we visited Amber Cove in December we did not even think that we would go to a beach - or even leave the immediate area. We spent part of the day at the pool just taking it easy - and very much enjoying. The staff were very personable and the area was clean. On a cruise in 2010 or 2011 one of the ports was Samana - we chose not even to go ashore and some passengers who did got back on the same tender and returned to the ship.

When we visited Amber Cove in December we did not even think that we would go to a beach - or even leave the immediate area. We spent part of the day at the pool just taking it easy - and very much enjoying. The staff were very personable and the area was clean. On a cruise in 2010 or 2011 one of the ports was Samana - we chose not even to go ashore and some passengers who did got back on the same tender and returned to the ship.

I bet the passengers who got back on the tender in Samana saw how long the walk was to town and decided not to bother. The walk would have been pleasant if there had been shade or if it hadn't been so hot. (Yeah, I know, we were in the Tropics, but it was hot even by tropical standards.)

I bet the passengers who got back on the tender in Samana saw how long the walk was to town and decided not to bother. The walk would have been pleasant if there had been shade or if it hadn't been so hot. (Yeah, I know, we were in the Tropics, but it was hot even by tropical standards.)

I remember a taxi took me to a waterfall near Samana, and there was a young girl that guided you. I forget how much her fee was, but it was more I expected.