Fishing during port time?

FindingTheJoy!

My husband would really like to fish (not fly) while cruising this July. We haven't picked our ship or itinerary yet. Anyone have any suggestions? I've finally talked him into cruising with me and I've told him he will be able to get off the boat and go fishing for a few hours. Is it possible?

There are ship shore excursions for fishing and there are also charters in each of the towns. We've been looking at the charters for our trip, some are half day salmon (4 hours), some are all day salmon (6-8 hours), halibut ones tend to be at least 6 hours and there are some halibut and salmon combo trips that tend to be 6-8 hours as well. The charters will arrange to have anything you caught processed and shipped home (add'l expense of course). Almost every highlight tour in every town will describe themselves as "a small drinking town with a fishing problem" so there is fishing everywhere.

Yes there is fishing in every port. Some are noted to be better than others. There is also the option for shore fishing- I've seen this in Ketchikan, depending on your cruise dates. So be very aware of that.

As for shipping and processing, it is significantly cheaper if you add a few days mainland Alaska and take it as additional baggage out of Anchorage. From cruise ports, it has never been less than $100 for my family, which is a shock for some people.

I have always been concerned about what to do with the fish. Will they hold it for shipping until I have gotten back home? Can I have it smoked and then shipped?

yes to both. you select your arrival date when your there.

My husband would really like to fish (not fly) while cruising this July. We haven't picked our ship or itinerary yet. Anyone have any suggestions? I've finally talked him into cruising with me and I've told him he will be able to get off the boat and go fishing for a few hours. Is it possible?

YES!

You need to do some research.

Halibut or Salmon (or?)

When will they be in the area (in season)? (Maybe not in May when the over all cruise fare may be lower...)

Be flexible with all itinerary types (Northbound or southbound in addition to round trip - in case the fishing is better nearer to Anchorage instead of Juneau.

Full disclosure - I am not a fisherman, I have not taken a fishing excursion. The comment is not meant as a recommendation, just as some ideas to think about - so you don't choose Salmon in May only to be disappointed to find that that is too early.

Yes there is fishing in every port. Some are noted to be better than others. There is also the option for shore fishing- I've seen this in Ketchikan, depending on your cruise dates. So be very aware of that.

As for shipping and processing, it is significantly cheaper if you add a few days mainland Alaska and take it as additional baggage out of Anchorage. From cruise ports, it has never been less than $100 for my family, which is a shock for some people.

Sometimes this is true and sometimes it isn't, it all depends on how much fish you catch. Last year we sent back over 150 lbs. That would have costs us well over $400 in excess luggage fees, and it was less than $300 to ship overnight, plus we didn't have to haul it around and worry about keeping it frozen for the extra five days we spent after catching it.

There are lots of options. He can do a ship excursion or a charter, or in most ports he can simply rent a pole and drop a line. He may not get a lot that way but if he just wants to fish that is the easiest and most cost effective way to do it. Tell him to buy his AK fishing license online from home before sailing It will save time and make it easier for him to fish alone if that is what he wants.

• 2 months later...
I have always been concerned about what to do with the fish. Will they hold it for shipping until I have gotten back home? Can I have it smoked and then shipped?

The processor will take care of all shipping and processing for you.

Sometimes this is true and sometimes it isn't, it all depends on how much fish you catch. Last year we sent back over 150 lbs. That would have costs us well over $400 in excess luggage fees, and it was less than $300 to ship overnight, plus we didn't have to haul it around and worry about keeping it frozen for the extra five days we spent after catching it.

Can I ask where and how you shipped? This is significantly cheaper than what we have found in our research. We will be on Kenai peninsula for a week before the cruise and hope to have quite a bit of fish to ship home...

We went in August - Husband and son fished in Ketchikan and caught around 150 pounds of halibut (the largest weighing 60 pounds - I know no where close to the record, but they were super excited). We had it processed locally and shipped home. I believe it was 80 or 90 pounds dressed. Shipping was somewhere in the $140 range. I didn't think that was a bad price considering it was the best halibut we have ever eaten and spoiled us on purchasing "fresh Alaskan halibut" in stores. They went with a local private boat - it was just them. Lets say our son caught the 150 pounds of fish, husband 0. LOL. He was told you have to have a sensitive feel for the line to catch the halibut, he just fed them! That was one of their highlights of the cruise.

Have been fishing in Alaska for 20+ years. Usually bring home 100# of fish, 2 50# boxes checked in as luggage for $25 each. Couple of good years carried on extra 30# free in my backpack or a smaller box. Of course I process my own fish to keep price down to min. Once priced cost to process and ship 50# box and wasn't very happy with the $300+ quote.