If prices go down, can you pay to go to a higher cabin category after final payment?

kazu

I had a question asked of me today that I can't answer and hope some of you can?

A CC friend asked that IF prices go down in higher cabin categories, if they can move their cabin up and pay the price.

We are well past final payment so this is an after final payment question.

I have seen some posts that said it was done and others that it was not - just wondering what the overall "rule" is if there is one or the "overall" experience. Thanks :)

My TA has negotiated such a move for me at a reasonable cost after final payment. One may need to ask/call more than once because it often seems to depend on the moment and the mood of the rep one talks to.

Thanks to you and JTL as well as Venn. :)

I really appreciate the help and the feedback :)

It sounds somewhat promising for them then if prices go down.

Many thanks again.

As long as it is more revenue why would they not? Especially if the cost is the same as open to the public for the currently empty stateroom. Has the advantage to them of freeing up a lesser category and potentially more sell-able stateroom than the more expensive one being upgraded too. Being after final payment should not be a factor.

As long as it is more revenue why would they not? Especially if the cost is the same as open to the public for the currently empty stateroom. Has the advantage to them of freeing up a lesser category and potentially more sell-able stateroom than the more expensive one being upgraded too. Being after final payment should not be a factor.

I think a lot of those sales will say for "new bookings only"?

I agree with you - common sense but everything in life isn't common sense which is why I thought I would ask.

I have no experience in this. Upsells I can help them with, but not this. Thanks.

Shortly before my Alaska sailing on the Volendam last year, there were empty Neptune suites. I had my travel agent (an internet/1-800 company) call and ask the cost to upgrade from our regular balcony cabin. It cost a few hundred dollars. It was less, I think, than the published difference in fares. My takeaway is it never hurts to ask.

Vicki

Shortly before my Alaska sailing on the Volendam last year, there were empty Neptune suites. I had my travel agent (an internet/1-800 company) call and ask the cost to upgrade from our regular balcony cabin. It cost a few hundred dollars. It was less, I think, than the published difference in fares. My takeaway is it never hurts to ask.

Vicki

thanks so much Vicki. I said the same thing - "it doesn't hurt to ask" . but, this is encouraging and I am pretty sure they are following this thread. They are reluctant to post but lurk so everyone's input and help is so appreciated. Many thanks for your experience.

We did - we went from an obstructed oceanview to an aft VB on the stern on the Westerdam in December 2015. I used a TA and called them. I lost my $100 onboard credit but I thought it was a fair trade for a huge balcony. Our ship was only 75% full, so I would imagine that was how I was able to do it so easily.

We did - we went from an obstructed oceanview to an aft VB on the stern on the Westerdam in December 2015. I used a TA and called them. I lost my $100 onboard credit but I thought it was a fair trade for a huge balcony. Our ship was only 75% full, so I would imagine that was how I was able to do it so easily.

Thanks so much :). This is very encouraging for my CC friend.

I don't know how well our cruise is selling due to the guarantees.

They are hoping to move from OV to V as well. I suspect they will be contacting their TA today with these posts. ;)

As others have said, it is possible.

When we sailed the Westerdam two years ago we created the booking AFTER final payment had passed, and two weeks later there was a $50 price drop in our category (inside guarantee). I called my PVP to ask about the price drop and she said I couldn't get a lower price but could move up...she contacted Revenue, and I was offered an upsell to a veranda guarantee for $100 each. I thought that was worth it to skip over ocean view.

We were assigned a VB aft location on deck 5. Great value for $100pp extra.

As others have said, it is possible.

When we sailed the Westerdam two years ago we created the booking AFTER final payment had passed, and two weeks later there was a $50 price drop in our category (inside guarantee). I called my PVP to ask about the price drop and she said I couldn't get a lower price but could move up...she contacted Revenue, and I was offered an upsell to a veranda guarantee for $100 each. I thought that was worth it to skip over ocean view.

We were assigned a VB aft location on deck 5. Great value for $100pp extra.

Thanks so much. My friend is contacting their TA.

It's very kind of you to share to help them know of the possiblities.

Hi Jacqui!

As others have said, and I agree, the only way to know is to ask. I have done this several times myself. Like '1884' I lost a small amount of OBC (I think it was the code ZPM for a quick booking after a cruise) but it was worth it as for less than $100/pp we moved from an inside to a balcony.

I know recently (there have been some threads on this) HAL has been selling certain cruises/fares with "Non refundable deposits." This seems designed to truly "Lock in" a specific fare. It is possible they may not be accommodating to upgrades in these instances?

With my OBC deals we are still far ahead of current offers on our upcoming Veendam cruise. I would be shocked if verandahs came down close to our price as there are relatively few on Veendam. Not sure I'd want to give up our outside Lower Promenade cabin anyway!

All the best!

I am totally mistaken - I did get an "upgrade" but it wasn't on that cruise. I booked that the Westerdam aft balcony. I asked my TA to move up ob ov to any balcony on my Zuiderdam Panama cruise in 2014. That's where I had to give up the $100, which amounted to about $9/day (it was an 11 day cruise). That cruise felt about 2/3 filled - it was wonderful. We booked the same itinerary for mid-December.

We just did this on our next cruise. The price we paid for a VA was more than an SS, thank goodness I check the web site often. We did have to give up our Explore 4 but ended up on deck 6 in a SS for no more money...... It pays to ask and my TA is not afraid to do that. We have done this twice now and got moved without paying more.

Hi Jacqui!

As others have said, and I agree, the only way to know is to ask. I have done this several times myself. Like '1884' I lost a small amount of OBC (I think it was the code ZPM for a quick booking after a cruise) but it was worth it as for less than $100/pp we moved from an inside to a balcony.

I know recently (there have been some threads on this) HAL has been selling certain cruises/fares with "Non refundable deposits." This seems designed to truly "Lock in" a specific fare. It is possible they may not be accommodating to upgrades in these instances?

With my OBC deals we are still far ahead of current offers on our upcoming Veendam cruise. I would be shocked if verandahs came down close to our price as there are relatively few on Veendam. Not sure I'd want to give up our outside Lower Promenade cabin anyway!

All the best!

Thanks :). I know they don't have a non refundable deposit ;)

Appreciate the feedback and help and I know they are reading.

For our booking on NA, we saw that prices dropped about 30% on our Inside K at about 6-8 weeks out. We asked our PCC for options... he had a deal for an upgrade to OV or upsell to balcony but not great, so he suggested we wait. At 4 weeks out we called again and he got us a VH guarantee for $85pp. We were assigned a VE midship so we were very happy. We did not lose our (small) OBC with the upsell. But the guarantee was a gamble. m--

For our booking on NA, we saw that prices dropped about 30% on our Inside K at about 6-8 weeks out. We asked our PCC for options... he had a deal for an upgrade to OV or upsell to balcony but not great, so he suggested we wait. At 4 weeks out we called again and he got us a VH guarantee for $85pp. We were assigned a VE midship so we were very happy. We did not lose our (small) OBC with the upsell. But the guarantee was a gamble. m--

Thank you:). Really appreciate all the input and experiences. It will really help my CC friend.

Pretty sure and hope that this thread will help others too :)

Thanks again.

Yes we did in Dec for our Jan 29 Kdam cruise. Went from inside to guarantee VF for $300 and ended up with a VB extended balcony. Well worth it!!! Had breakfast every day out there!!! Cathy