Passport vs. Birth Certificate

KPfromCT

When I completed my passport renewal last September my passport had been expired for a year and several months. All I had to do was fill out the online form and mail it back with new photos and my expired passport. We were advised it would take 4-6 weeks, I received it back in 2 weeks. I did not have to resend my birth certificate. I need to have a passport as I was born on a US Airforce Base overseas and my birth certificate is actually 3 pages it is very confusing to people who are not used to seeing them. I don't want any chance of not getting to board or not being allowed back.

Bottom line I recommend renewing the passport and birth certificate should not be an issue if it is a renewal.

Have a fantastic cruise!

When I completed my passport renewal last September my passport had been expired for a year and several months. All I had to do was fill out the online form and mail it back with new photos and my expired passport. We were advised it would take 4-6 weeks, I received it back in 2 weeks. I did not have to resend my birth certificate. I need to have a passport as I was born on a US Airforce Base overseas and my birth certificate is actually 3 pages it is very confusing to people who are not used to seeing them. I don't want any chance of not getting to board or not being allowed back.

Bottom line I recommend renewing the passport and birth certificate should not be an issue if it is a renewal.

Have a fantastic cruise!

I would love to have had that option, but this passport is for DD, who with her first passport was a minor, therefore, it was only good for 5 years. So I cannot do a "renewal". It has to be a new passport application. I did order her BC online, and once I get it, we'll get the pictures and head to the Post Office to get it sent out. We have plenty of time, as we are not cruising until the end of June.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!!!! Greatly appreciated.:D:D:D

Have a fantastic cruise!

The above is absolutely correct. Dh and I both renewed our passports last year and did not need our birth certificates. All we needed was the filled-out DS-82 form, the photos, and our passports. We didn't have the option to mail in the application, since we live overseas, but you can make it easy on yourselves and take advantage of the mail-in option (or go to the post office if it gives you peace of mind that the application has truly been submitted).

The travel.state.gov website says:

You can renew by mail using Form DS-82 if your most recent passport:

• Is submitted with your application
  • Is undamaged (other than normal "wear and tear")
  • Was issued when you were age 16 or older
  • Was issued within the last 15 years
  • Was issued in your current name (or you can document your name change with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order)

In order to get your first passport, you have to have a birth certificate. Since the birth certificate was verified at that time, it is not needed for the renewal of adult passports.

Go ahead and get the passport renewed. You have plenty of time.

Blessings,

SiraJoy

Edited by SiraJoy

Vital Chek! I sent for birth and death certificates for my brother and parents due to an estate issue this past Tuesday night and I received them on Friday morning. I wish I could get other records as fast!

I just did this, but what a RIP OFF!!!!! lol

And then after you submit, and think you are done, you have to provide ID and signatures, which need to be scanned and uploaded back to them. That will have to wait until Monday morning, when I am back in the office.:mad:

My wife and I applied for passports yesterday. They require an original proof of citizenship (birth certificate) and a copy. They also require a copy of your picture ID (drivers' license).

The original of the BC will be returned with the passports.

I just did this, but what a RIP OFF!!!!! lol

And then after you submit, and think you are done, you have to provide ID and signatures, which need to be scanned and uploaded back to them. That will have to wait until Monday morning, when I am back in the office.:mad:

I didn't have to scan and upload my ID and I was ordering certificates that can only be obtained by immediate family members. They just asked for the last 4 digits of my SSN and zip code and I was able to do an electronic signature.

I didn't have to scan and upload my ID and I was ordering certificates that can only be obtained by immediate family members. They just asked for the last 4 digits of my SSN and zip code and I was able to do an electronic signature.

That's odd! I did it for my daughter, but they are telling me they need a copy of a photo ID (drivers license). Oh well. I will take care of it on Monday. Still better than driving into the city and parking and waiting in line at City Hall.:D:D:D

That's odd! I did it for my daughter, but they are telling me they need a copy of a photo ID (drivers license). Oh well. I will take care of it on Monday. Still better than driving into the city and parking and waiting in line at City Hall.:D:D:D

I don't remember having to do all that either but it has been a long time. Are you sure it's the legit Vitalchek website? There are others that could be a little sketchy.

Can I use just a BC for my 2 year old? She, of course, have no other form of ID. The 13 year old just got her passport today and I am waiting for the passport office to return the originals before I decide if I should get a PP for the 2 year old as well. I think the BC should be fine though.

Can I use just a BC for my 2 year old? She, of course, have no other form of ID. The 13 year old just got her passport today and I am waiting for the passport office to return the originals before I decide if I should get a PP for the 2 year old as well. I think the BC should be fine though.

Yes BC is fine.

Have a fantastic cruise!

Thrilled to know that it may be renewal only if expired withing your time frame..thank you.

I just read an article it is called AIRFAREWATCHDOG insider it talk about WarningPassport Changes Are Coming a new federal law REAL ID Act where BC and drivers licenses might soon be invalid for air travel even on domestic flights, the law is changing ever so quickly

Yep, it sure is changing quickly. The REAL ID act was passed several years ago and still isn't fully enacted (and one doesn't need a birth cert on a domestic flight, just a gov't issued photo ID).

I saw the article, i read the article, i don't want to be the one to say passports are not needed, if you are on the fence as to should i or should i not read the article make up your own mind.

If you want to read something helpful about the REAL ID Act here's the link to go to: https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-and-you-rumor-control That's the current word from DHS themselves.

• 1 month later...