Passport vs. Birth Certificate

KPfromCT

I just renewed my passport so I would not have this concern. Nice to know that the Birth certificate photo copy would have work though.

I was going to take my 2YO with her Birth Certificate but I know sometimes they give people problems when they use just a BC so yesterday I send in an application for her passport. I know we are exactly 5 weeks away but I still did it Express. Total $181.

Caveat, I did not read all 51 posts, but as a seasoned traveler, I would never leave U.S soil without a valid passport. Just because Carnival does not require one sh*t happens, not only on the ship but at home as well. If you had to fly home for an emergency, yours or someone else's, you would be in big poop without a passport

I was going to take my 2YO with her Birth Certificate but I know sometimes they give people problems when they use just a BC so yesterday I send in an application for her passport. I know we are exactly 5 weeks away but I still did it Express. Total $181.

you will not regret it have a nice cruise

Caveat, I did not read all 51 posts, but as a seasoned traveler, I would never leave U.S soil without a valid passport. Just because Carnival does not require one sh*t happens, not only on the ship but at home as well. If you had to fly home for an emergency, yours or someone else's, you would be in big poop without a passport

"In big poop" = delay of 0-2 business days while you get an emergency passport. Not fun if there is an emergency. People need to weigh the risks for themselves.

"In big poop" = delay of 0-2 business days while you get an emergency passport. Not fun if there is an emergency. People need to weigh the risks for themselves.

I started using a passport when the requirements changed requiring a passport to enter the U.S. by air(if not from a U.S. territory)

Gary

Carnival has nothing to do with it, it's the US government that doesn't require it. As mentioned you would face a delay if you needed to return home, hardly big poop in my book.

You should of not let it expire.

Why not? You have 5 years after expiration to renew it by mail after which you would apply as you would for a first time passport. If I have no immediate travel plans when my passport expires I'll not be in a hurry to renew it.

I just renewed my passport so I would not have this concern. Nice to know that the Birth certificate photo copy would have work though.

Yes, it is always helpful to keep the alternatives in the back of your mind, just in case. I have ready a few stories of people forgetting their passport/losing them on the way to the ship and a faxed copy of their birth certificate saved their cruise.

One idea -- if you plan on using a photocopy BC, you may want to get it notarized. This will, however, require an original for comparison.

That actually means nothing and adds nothing to the process (other than possible expense).