How Much Cash To Bring for 7-night Cruise?

SeaNStars4Me

I am going on a 7 night cruise to the Caribbean. Last time I cruised many of the merchants really wanted to deal in cash (which I didn't bring). I know everything on board the ship is put on my credit card except for tips so I'm trying to figure out how much cash to bring for the port stops. I do like to buy some souveniers and eat at the stops. I am signed up for excursions at each stop so not a lot of time for shopping but some. Suggestions?

You already know what happened to you last time so plan accordingly. No one can say how much you will spend on food and souvenirs - that's your choice!

Depending on your cruise line, your on board gratuities are also billed daily on your account tied to your credit card, so other than extra tips for things like room service, you really don't need cash on board.

I am going on a 7 night cruise to the Caribbean. Last time I cruised many of the merchants really wanted to deal in cash (which I didn't bring). I know everything on board the ship is put on my credit card except for tips so I'm trying to figure out how much cash to bring for the port stops. I do like to buy some souveniers and eat at the stops. I am signed up for excursions at each stop so not a lot of time for shopping but some. Suggestions?

Tips typically are auto charged daily to your room account as well. If you are referring to additional gratuities or those for porters other non-on board services, then you would be correct.

Everyone is different but we typically bring abut $100 per port day to cover anything off the ship.

I never go ANYWHERE without a decent amount of cash...and on vacations, we bring a min. of $1500....you just never know IF you will need it. We rarely spend it all, but you can put it back in the bank, if you don't use it! I refuse to pay an ATM fee to access my own money...ridiculous!

There is a cabin safe for storage. Larger bills are easier to transport, and the ship can break them down into smaller denominations.

I never go ANYWHERE without a decent amount of cash...and on vacations, we bring a min. of $1500....you just never know IF you will need it. We rarely spend it all, but you can put it back in the bank, if you don't use it! I refuse to pay an ATM fee to access my own money...ridiculous!

There is a cabin safe for storage. Larger bills are easier to transport, and the ship can break them down into smaller denominations.

I share your preference to avoid ATM fees - fortunately I have a UBS card which reimburses me for such fees (up to $3). But the idea of carrying very much cash when traveling is about as bad - so an occasional $3 here or there might be preferable to the risk of carrying a lot as well as the hassle of withdrawing it and then going back to re-deposit the unused amount.