$$ Issues with RCI.

918baker

Please send the follow up Email this evening. Remember a short sweet and to the point, Email attached to the Executive CS Email. That way by the time you call tomorrow she will be getting answers and not having to wait over a long week-end.

So Email follow up (recap like my email above but tweeted for you and thank her) and then call. Make sure she has the phone you can actually be reached at and not your house phone if you are at work!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Already sent the email! I just replied to the original email from Executive CS and CC'd Mr. Bayley. Tweaked your example, was very nice but also firm. Trying to kill with kindness but also so incredibly frustrated. I gave them my cell phone number, although because I work in a school with thick cinder block walls there is very little reception in the building. Asked for them to call after 4pm EST.

What if someone else gave them cash or a personal check to the TA to pay for their RC cruise? They could have charged your card for the other cruisers and kept the cash/check. Just saying!

This is along the lines of what I was thinking. Here is the part that gives me a pause. A TA works for the consumer. Any good TA who had one of their clients overcharged by $1400 would be fighting like heck to get this sorted out and that money returned to them. Not only is the TA not fighting for 918baker, he/she is not even returning 918bakers phone calls. I guess this could still end up being RCCL's fault somehow, but it sure seems more like we have a dirty TA in this situation. I am going to follow this thread as I am very curious how this one turns out.

This is along the lines of what I was thinking. Here is the part that gives me a pause. A TA works for the consumer. Any good TA who had one of their clients overcharged by $1400 would be fighting like heck to get this sorted out and that money returned to them. Not only is the TA not fighting for 918baker, he/she is not even returning 918bakers phone calls. I guess this could still end up being RCCL's fault somehow, but it sure seems more like we have a dirty TA in this situation. I am going to follow this thread as I am very curious how this one turns out.

I think it's my TA as well, otherwise why would she just completely 100% disappear on me? I haven't heard a thing from her since early Sunday afternoon when she said that she would call me on Monday evening.

I think it's my TA as well, otherwise why would she just completely 100% disappear on me? I haven't heard a thing from her since early Sunday afternoon when she said that she would call me on Monday evening.

Well the most likely ( my thinking) is massive incompetence on the part of both your TA and RCCL. I'm thinking it will turn out just that simple.

This is 918baker's best friend who is also cruising with her! :)

I am with you. I highly suspect that the TA has done something underhanded, especially since she posts on FB allllll day long and after we really started to pressure her for answers she started posting really odd things about what a victim she is. Almost like she's trying to be proactive about making herself look innocent before the s*** hits the fan, but soooo overdone that it is super-suspicious. :rolleyes:

Just for the hell of it, log in and check your Credit Card Acct to see if a credit has appeared?? Or if you have missed a credit...

I check evvveryday hoping for a miracle!! :(

About to eat an awesome burger and then go home to watch trash tv with a bottle of wine after the kids pass out! Hopeful for prompt email responses in the morning and a phone call immediately after work!

What credit card did you use? VISA/MC/AMEX/DISCOVER?

You can look this up rather easily. I'm almost CERTAIN on most cards, for the type of dispute you would file, you have 120 days (and you can even work it into being the date of the cruise itself) from the payment posting. If you paid early December your final payment, then unless my math is wrong, you have until well after you get back from the cruise to file the dispute. In fact, I don't recall ever seeing any code that is 60 days from transaction date.... There are ways to get up to 1 1/2 years from transaction date, let alone 60 days....

Let me know which brand card you have, it's easy to get this information. Different dispute codes have different rules. I really think you are getting yourself worked up over almost nothing.

What credit card did you use? VISA/MC/AMEX/DISCOVER?

You can look this up rather easily. I'm almost CERTAIN on most cards, for the type of dispute you would file, you have 120 days (and you can even work it into being the date of the cruise itself) from the payment posting. If you paid early December your final payment, then unless my math is wrong, you have until well after you get back from the cruise to file the dispute. In fact, I don't recall ever seeing any code that is 60 days from transaction date.... There are ways to get up to 1 1/2 years from transaction date, let alone 60 days....

Let me know which brand card you have, it's easy to get this information. Different dispute codes have different rules. I really think you are getting yourself worked up over almost nothing.

It's a Visa through my bank, I called my bank and they said 60 days. I know other cards and such are different but the information I was given from my bank said they must receive transaction dispute information within 60 days of posting to the account.

This is 918baker's best friend who is also cruising with her! :)

I am with you. I highly suspect that the TA has done something underhanded, especially since she posts on FB allllll day long and after we really started to pressure her for answers she started posting really odd things about what a victim she is. Almost like she's trying to be proactive about making herself look innocent before the s*** hits the fan, but soooo overdone that it is super-suspicious. :rolleyes:

She. Is. Crazy. Over it.

It's a Visa through my bank, I called my bank and they said 60 days. I know other cards and such are different but the information I was given from my bank said they must receive transaction dispute information within 60 days of posting to the account.

Remember the actual over payment didn't happen until your final pmt was made. When was that?

Because I spent 30 yrs in banking I pretty much was worried about the 60 day thing.

It's actually 60 days from the statement date which reflects the charge. So someone didn't exactly explain correctly. But I'm sure you can use the final payment stmt. what's the date on that?

Remember the actual over payment didn't happen until your final pmt was made. When was that?

Because I spent 30 yrs in banking I pretty much was worried about the 60 day thing.

It's actually 60 days from the statement date which reflects the charge. So someone didn't exactly explain correctly. But I'm sure you can use the final payment stmt. what's the date on that?

Yes, the random charge was in Sept and that's long gone. I can dispute the final payment charge, if from the statement date I have another couple of days. Not many! Worried that if I dispute it they will cancel my cruise or simply not let me board. Final payment minus the $1,400 would have been around $500. I'm happy to pay what I owe... just not more than what I owe.

Can you please cite a resource for this information?

VISA sets these rules, and it's very clearly 120 days and has nothing to do with the Statement date, it's the processing date.

Edited by BNBR

Yes, the random charge was in Sept and that's long gone. I can dispute the final payment charge, if from the statement date I have another couple of days. Not many! Worried that if I dispute it they will cancel my cruise or simply not let me board. Final payment minus the $1,400 would have been around $500. I'm happy to pay what I owe... just not more than what I owe.

Deep breath, more wine.... how many days do you have from the date the statement? You need to tell RCCL that you have X # days left to dispute a $1400 overpayment and that you would prefer not to do that. You want to take your cruise.

On the side you can let your TA know that her continued silence in this leads you to believe some sort of fraud on her part has happened and unless it's cleared up in the next 24 hrs your next call will be to the police. That should wake her up!

Cc Royal Caribbean that email.

PS don't get mad, get even!

This is a rule set by VISA and in their Rules manual.

https://usa.visa.com/dam/VCOM/download/about-visa/15-April-2015-Visa-Rules-Public.pdf

Page 575 on the PDF. There is a number of codes you could use. 57 - Fraudulent Multiple Transactions, 80 - Incorrect Transaction Amount (probably the most accurate if applying the overcharge to final payment, then final payment was too high), or 85 - Credit Not Processed - since they owe you a credit. ALL of which are clearly marked as 120 calendar days.

I'm not a lawyer, but I've been dealing in chargebacks quite a bit for quite some years. I would recommend contacting your bank again and verifying it's 120 days, not 60 days. I'm not even sure where 60 days is coming from. I've never seen that before, and pretty much every chargeback I've ever filed was after 60 days. Heck, I just filed one today, and that was around 100 days. No issue at all. I've filed a chargeback a YEAR after the initial charge, since it was for a service that was provided much later than initial charge, it starts from date of service.

So that is my advice. Call and verify it's actually 120 days per VISA rules - which is universal as far as I know. Then don't even think about this anymore, enjoy the cruise and dispute it after. Takes a 5 minute phone call to dispute the charge. And just so you know, the initial dispute resolution is somewhat meaningless and can often be ruled against you. What you do is if you lose the dispute, just re-dispute it which puts the chargeback into pre-arbitration, I've never seen a company win on a second dispute...

It's on the top of the dispute form for my bank.

What a shame, I'd hate to see you have to fight it out with your bank, next. And it just doesn't make any sense that it would be 60 days. I have been wrong before in my life, but I'd love to see an actual reference to 60 days in regards to VISA dispute time limits. I have a VISA and dispute well after 60 days, so it's perplexing with your bank. Call them again!

Deep breath, more wine.... how many days do you have from the date the statement? You need to tell RCCL that you have X # days left to dispute a $1400 overpayment and that you would prefer not to do that. You want to take your cruise.

On the side you can let your TA know that her continued silence in this leads you to believe some sort of fraud on her part has happened and unless it's cleared up in the next 24 hrs your next call will be to the police. That should wake her up!

Cc Royal Caribbean that email.

PS don't get mad, get even!

Statement was January 2nd, so March 3rd would be 60 days. We sail on March 6th! I have to take this cruise. No question about that, I'm getting on that boat. I just don't want to have to sue them after I get home!

My husband is a cop so he has quite a few ideas on how this should be handled... :o haha!

The 60 days is after the statement date not the posting of the charge. So depending on the charge date (early in the cycle) and the date the statement was produced you could certainly be pushing 90 to 100 days. She should be speaking with the fraud dept for clarification and NOT the Customer Service dept.

What a shame, I'd hate to see you have to fight it out with your bank, next. And it just doesn't make any sense that it would be 60 days. I have been wrong before in my life, but I'd love to see an actual reference to 60 days in regards to VISA dispute time limits. I have a VISA and dispute well after 60 days, so it's perplexing with your bank. Call them again!

The universe is apparently out to make me fight everyone for this vacation :( TA, RCCL, bank, time off at work, kids' school, and so on. but it will still be a wonderful vacation, I just need to get on the damn boat!

I'll call my bank again tomorrow, hopefully after I hear from RCCL after work.

The 60 days is after the statement date not the posting of the charge. So depending on the charge date (early in the cycle) and the date the statement was produced you could certainly be pushing 90 to 100 days. She should be speaking with the fraud dept for clarification and NOT the Customer Service dept.

Yes, the charge was very early in the cycle. What a mess. I'll be calling my bank again tomorrow. Very very hopeful that I'll get a hold of RCCL after work. I have about an hour window with the time changes to get in touch with them before they close for the long weekend. I'll be calling as soon as I'm walking to my car :D

Statement was January 2nd, so March 3rd would be 60 days. We sail on March 6th! I have to take this cruise. No question about that, I'm getting on that boat. I just don't want to have to sue them after I get home!

My husband is a cop so he has quite a few ideas on how this should be handled... :o haha!

Drop your TA an email and let her stew about it tonite [emoji48]

The universe is apparently out to make me fight everyone for this vacation :( TA, RCCL, bank, time off at work, kids' school, and so on. but it will still be a wonderful vacation, I just need to get on the damn boat!

I'll call my bank again tomorrow, hopefully after I hear from RCCL after work.

I have so much experience in charge backs on both sides, very well read on it. The 60 day thing makes no sense and the statement date makes no sense either. You can read the VISA rules that I posted for you. It's all very clear in plain English and my experience has always been right in line with these rules.

My last piece of advice at the moment, call the number in the back of your card and tell the bank you want to dispute the charge so you can get to that person over the phone. Then ask THAT person, who works in the dispute resolution department what the time limit is. Should be no need for a form anyways. Forms are so 20 years ago :p Heck, maybe it's an old form with outdated info?

Hopefully you can confirm its 120 days, then put this behind you. Dispute after the cruise which takes all of 5 minutes. Let's see.