Hotel recommendations for Port Canaveral-sailing Epic

jancl57

Good morning....

We will be sailing on the Epic next February...a whole year to go... Being from Boston and currently dealing with another snow storm in 3 days, we thought we should fly into Orlando a day or 2 early....just in case. Would appreciate any recommendations for hotels that don't break the bank!

thanks

Yes, we fly down from TF Green to FLL or MCO a day early from beautiful snowy New England for January, February & March cruises - too much anxiety to go the same day!! Port Canaveral has lots of decent hotels and good restaurants in the area - depends on what you want... free breakfast, pool, shuttle to port, etc. Have stayed at the Radisson and loved it - nice Tiki Bar by the pool with music - to get you in the mood... Also stayed two nights at Country Inn and Suites - great staff, nice pool area, free breakfast - didn't need the port shuttle since we rented a car - there are some fun restaurants not far from the hotel near the port - you could Uber or take a cab for dinner...

If you need a shuttle from MCO to Port Canaveral the Radisson has one. We have also used CORTRANS from Port Canaveral back to MCO and were happy with them. Check out the US Homeports/Florida Departures thread (not the exact title!!) - there are also some nicer hotels right on the beach if you'd prefer that location... Folks down there don't understand that 60 degrees in February is nice and toasty for us - DH wears shorts & a t-shirt and they have their winter coats on - ha ha.

PS - it's snowing again right now...

Thanks for all the great tips! Snowing here too....We find flying out of TF Green is cheaper then flying out of Logan, with the exception here & there.

I know its a year out....and we do have Boston/Bermuda on the Dawn in June....but sitting here watching the snow actually gets me excited knowing we will be in the sun and having fun for at least a week in February next year! :)

If you need a shuttle from MCO to Port Canaveral the Radisson has one. We have also used CORTRANS from Port Canaveral back to MCO and were happy with them. Check out the US Homeports/Florida Departures thread (not the exact title!!) - there are also some nicer hotels right on the beach if you'd prefer that location... Folks down there don't understand that 60 degrees in February is nice and toasty for us - DH wears shorts & a t-shirt and they have their winter coats on - ha ha.

I am staying at the Radisson in a couple of weeks for our Epic cruise. I have yet to book transfers from MCO to the hotel. Which company did the Radisson use? Also how long did you have to wait for the shuttle after your flight arrived? TIA

Yes, we fly down from TF Green to FLL or MCO a day early from beautiful snowy New England for January, February & March cruises - too much anxiety to go the same day!! Port Canaveral has lots of decent hotels and good restaurants in the area - depends on what you want... free breakfast, pool, shuttle to port, etc. Have stayed at the Radisson and loved it - nice Tiki Bar by the pool with music - to get you in the mood... Also stayed two nights at Country Inn and Suites - great staff, nice pool area, free breakfast - didn't need the port shuttle since we rented a car - there are some fun restaurants not far from the hotel near the port - you could Uber or take a cab for dinner...

Hi, is returning a car and then getting to the port for the ship quite easy, as in not too far etc? We have hired through Avis if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We flew in to Orlando the day before our cruise and stayed at one of the airport hotels with free airport shuttle (actually the Hilton Garden Inn). Then took the shuttle back to the airport in the morning and caught an NCL transfer to the port. There several different shuttle services. We chose NCL because they use full size motor coaches and handle your bags at the port (once you give them to the bus driver at the airport, they are delivered directly to your stateroom). The smaller shuttles cram you into vans and you're stuck in someone's arm pit for the 1 hour drive out to the port.

We flew in to Orlando the day before our cruise and stayed at one of the airport hotels with free airport shuttle (actually the Hilton Garden Inn). Then took the shuttle back to the airport in the morning and caught an NCL transfer to the port. There several different shuttle services. We chose NCL because they use full size motor coaches and handle your bags at the port (once you give them to the bus driver at the airport, they are delivered directly to your stateroom). The smaller shuttles cram you into vans and you're stuck in someone's arm pit for the 1 hour drive out to the port.

That sounds like a good option too. How much was the NCL transfer and how early did you get to the port?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are staying at the Marriott Courtyard in Cocoa Beach . We opted to do a 1 way rental from MCO to the hotel. The rental car agency offers a free shuttle to the pier when you return the car . It's something we've done before and liked the convenience of having a car since we fly in a day early . Just another option to consider.

This sounds great too....Does NCL charge $75 pp/each way for the shuttle? What time did you get back to the airport? Did you specify a certain time for the shuttle to pick you up?

Thanks!

About 2 years ago, we stayed at the La Quinta (1275 North Atlantic Avenue)- it's the one with astronaut memorabilia.

It wasn't the fanciest of places, but they had a good park and stay rate. I think it was about $160 when we stayed.

The room was really clean and nice. The staff was extraordinarily friendly. We did not avail ourselves of breakfast, but I believe they offered a continental breakfast. I believe they also have a snooze and cruise rate where you can get a shuttle to the port as well. I don't know the rate for that, but would imagine it would be a bit less.

We have stayed at the Radisson at the Port before. I know it's a favorite for many, but our experience there was awful. Granted, it has been several years ago now. I just don't know if I would go back. The rooms were dirty. The fan was shaking so bad it was about to fall out of the ceiling. The a/c worked sporadically at best. The room never got below 80 degrees. The website makes it look absolutely beautiful, but it was so shabby when we showed up. We were supposed to have a shuttle reservation, and it was clearly shown on the reservation that I made. I double checked when we checked in, and they confirmed it was available. The next morning when it came time to leave for the cruise- that was a whole different story. They couldn't find our name anywhere. They tried to double charge us for parking there for the week (the parking was part of the package deal we had gotten).

You just have to check behind them on EVERYTHING.

I have heard good things about the Country Inn & Suites there by the Radisson.

We stayed at the Wyndham near the airport. Recently remodeled, clean, walking distance to shopping and many restaurants. $65.00 plus tax. Included free shuttle from the airport to Wyndham and a really nice breakfast with scrambled eggs, sausage, waffles. More than just continental.

We also used cortrans to and from the port. Couldn't be happier with cortrans. Top notch operation. $20.00 pp each way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am staying at the Radisson in a couple of weeks for our Epic cruise. I have yet to book transfers from MCO to the hotel. Which company did the Radisson use? Also how long did you have to wait for the shuttle after your flight arrived? TIA

Not sure of the details - our travel partners booked the airport shuttle through the Radisson - that's how I know of it. They seemed pleased with what the Radisson offered. Unfortunately we had to cancel this trip...

SYK - The last two times we sailed out of Port Canaveral we rented a car at MCO and stayed at either the Radisson or the Country Inn and Suites in Cocoa Beach pre-cruise. On the morning of departure we drove to the Port and dropped off the luggage then returned the car to the rental office right near the port and took their free shuttle to the ship (no bags made it super easy!!). Hope this helps...

Hi, is returning a car and then getting to the port for the ship quite easy, as in not too far etc? We have hired through Avis if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, incredibly easy when we used Alamo - not sure where Avis office is located... See my previous post about dropping the bags at the port first, then return the car. Use their port shuttle with no bags - makes for a great easy start to your cruise :)

I'm doing the same but we sail out this Saturday. We are flying(hopefully) out of Logan Thursday. It looks like we are supposed to get more snow. I wanted to go a few days earlier in case of any storms/flight delays. We rented a car through Avis and will pick it up and drive to the hotel. We are staying at the Residence Inn Cape Canaveral Cocoa Beach. I was told it was close and according to google map, it looks close. The Residence has a shuttle to the port but I'm not sure how much it is. I will be returning the rental at the port. I can let you know how it went when we get back :)

We stayed at the Radisson in 2015 and are again next week for our Epic cruise. They use Cocoa Beach Shuttle. I suspect wait time depends on how busy the airport is. We arrived around 8pm the first time and waited about 20 minutes until the shuttle arrived and was fully loaded.