looking for an authentic Cuban restaurant

Annie43

We are looking for a Cuban restaurant (the simpler and cheaper, the better) during our pre-cruise stay in Fort Lauderdale. We are staying at the Hyatt on 17th street and would like to be able to walk if possible. Also, is it possible to walk to Jetty park and watch the ships in port? Is there a Cuban restaurant near the port? Thank you!

I read on CC a long time ago about a very simple French crêpe restaurant. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

Unfortunately no authentic Cuban restaurants within walking distance from your hotel. With that said, there are some fantastic Cuban restaurants in the area if you don't mind a 20 minute Uber or taxi drive. A local favorite with the Latin community is Las Vegas (there's one located in Hollywood on Stirling Rd, not too far from where you'll be staying, but you'll still need transportation to get there).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unfortunately no authentic Cuban restaurants within walking distance from your hotel. With that said, there are some fantastic Cuban restaurants in the area if you don't mind a 20 minute Uber or taxi drive. A local favorite with the Latin community is Las Vegas (there's one located in Hollywood on Stirling Rd, not too far from where you'll be staying, but you'll still need transportation to get there).

How can you not call Las Vegas authentic? It was started by a family that came to South Florida in the Mariel Boatlift in 1980 and fulfilled the American Dream. Now, every location has a family member in the restaurant.

How can you not call Las Vegas authentic?

I think that you misread my post. I wrote that there are no authentic restaurants within WALKING distance of the hotel. Then I recommended Las Vegas because it's authentic and a favorite with the Latin community. But it's a 20 minute drive from the hotel .

If there is Cuban in South Florida, it is authentic. There really isn't unauthentic.

My two favorites are Neuvo's Cubanos which is only a walk up but their food is amazing and Las Colinas where no one speaks English.

I also love Havana 1957 in Pembroke Pines but it is too far of a drive for me.

Padrino's on Hallandale Beach Blvd in Hallandale Beach has excellent Cuban food. It's a fifteen minute ride from 17th street in Fort Lauderdale. The Cuban beef stew melts in your mouth. The staff and ownership are very friendly and accommodating.

I read on CC a long time ago about a very simple French crêpe restaurant. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

Assuming you are in FLL and not Port Canaveral, there is a French crepe restaurant, la Bonne Crepe on Las Olas Blvd. Also Café d Paris about a block away. Not walking distance but short taxi ride from hotel.

• 10 months later...

Hi. I'm staying at the Palms. Any good Cuban close to the Palms and/or in walking distance?

I've mapquested some of above and right now it looks like Havana 1957 may be closest. Is this good?

Thank you.

Hi. I'm staying at the Palms. Any good Cuban close to the Palms and/or in walking distance?

I've mapquested some of above and right now it looks like Havana 1957 may be closest. Is this good?

Thank you.

Yes, Havana 1957 is our favorite. It's excellent.