Engine Room Tours

LnM2015

We will be on Harmony in March and my husband would like to do an engine room tour. I knkw Carnival does it but I wasn't sure about RCL. Does anyone know if they do? And if they do how much is it and how do you book it?

Thanks!

RC does not give tours of the actual engine room. However, you can go on the All Access tour (price seems to be fluid now, check your Cruise Planner) which will cover the bridge, engine control room, galley, etc.

Been on Carnival's tour twice and they don't go to the engine room either, just the engine control room. It is for security and safety reasons. They also told us is it about 100 degrees in the engine room. :eek: The engine control room was my husband's favorite part of the tour.

Been on Carnival's tour twice and they don't go to the engine room either, just the engine control room. It is for security and safety reasons. They also told us is it about 100 degrees in the engine room. :eek: The engine control room was my husband's favorite part of the tour.

100*F would be the engine spaces without the engines. The engine rooms, with engines running, in summer time will be about 130*F, and you would not hear anything.

A number of years ago there was a fund raiser for Make A Wish and the raffle was an all access tour of the lower working of the Freedom of the Seas. I "won" one spot ( great monetary donation) and a few of us did get to see the control room, engine room(s) (two of them, electrical room, water production area as well as a quick look into the waste management area, (P.U.) led by the chief Engineer aboard the Freedom. It took a couple hours because the Chief really went into details about the workings and integration of the "hotel" with the ship. I even got to video most except for the electrical room. Yes it was very hot in the engine room and loud but very clean. It gives you a great respect for the complexity of the ship and the "hotel". With the new regulations for terrorists I suspect they have re thought the practice. But look for an auction. Maybe you will get lucky.

We were very lucky to do an engine room tour on the Indy in 2009. Here's a few photos.

Engine control room

ry%3D400

Lots of reading for the engineers!

ry%3D400

One of 2 desalination units producing 45,000litres of water per hour

ry%3D400

One of 6 15000hp engines (185 tonnes each!)

ry%3D400

which each drive a 14,500kW generator

ry%3D400

2nd engineer has just spotted an oil leak!

ry%3D400

contd. in next post

You can eat your dinner off the floor!

ry%3D400

One of the 2 compressors for the ice rink

ry%3D400

Spare con rod

ry%3D400

Spare cylinder head

ry%3D400

The forward engine room (3 engines in each engine room...normally only 4 engines running at a time).

ry%3D400

Simon