Do I have to share a room with my parent(s)/Guardian ?

Leblock_James

Hi my friends and I are hoping to go on the NCL Escape in next coming year or 2

But if we are all traveling with 1 guradian over 21 do we have to share a room

Or is it possible to get another room close to my guardian ?

we will all be 19-20 when we cruise

Or do we have to share a room ? we are 5 people by the way.

If anyone could help that would be great thanks :)

Not sure what NCL's policy is, but my daughter traveled on a Royal Caribbean cruise last year - she was 20, and was with a group of 19-21 year olds. Their rule was that someone 21 or older had to be registered as the "guardian" in each room - the 19 & 20 year olds could not, technically, be in a room without a 21 year old registered to that room as well.

*Edited to add: I would guess that NCL has a similar policy, for liability reasons. I know when families book 2 cabins with the idea of putting their kids in a separate cabin, they have to book it as 1 adult/1child to each cabin and switch keys after boarding (I've done it with my family), but I'd be surprised if NCL allows someone under the age of 21 to book a cabin without a parent or guardian.

Edited by momofmab

Per NCL policy either the 21 year old must be in the room; so all 5 would have to share the room... unless 2 of the 19-20 year olds are a married couple.

"Norwegian Cruise Lines policy dictates that a minor or young adult under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom by a guest 21 years of age or older at the time of boarding.

Minors – an individual under the age of 18 on the day of embarkation/boarding.

Young Adult– an individual between the ages of 18 and 20.

Note: Two people under the age of 21 may travel together in the same stateroom if they are a married couple and provide proof of marriage to a Norwegian Cruise Line representative at the pier prior to boarding."

Please check with NCL. I've read where families have gotten 2 rooms, either connecting or across from each other, with the younger members listed in the other rooms. I haven't done it myself so don't know for sure. I'm sure others who know firsthand will add to this. Not sure what will happen as there is only 1 person over 21 but 5 adults is tight for one room.

A "couple of things" that might help people to give advice:-

What is the sex and age of the guardian?

Is the guardian your legal guardian rather than a parent/relative?

Does the 5 include the guardian?

What are the sexes of the 4/5 travellers?

This looks quite complicated in relation to the rules laid down by NCL. I suggest that you phone NCL, and also later send an email, giving them the exact details of your Guardian (including age and sex) and the 4 of you (including age and sex) and ask for their advice. I doubt if too many people on CC have any experience of something as complicated as this.

I would suggest you have others present when you call and have the call on speaker phone; also record the call.

Follow up with the email for written confirmation.

It depends on the identity of the guardian. If it is your parent you can be in an adjacent room, if it is a friend you are all going to be in the same room.

The bottom line is that most cruise lines don't want a bunch of 19 -20 year olds on their ships as a group without parental supervision. History has shown them that it is not a good situation. Of course, if you are married and traveling with your spouses that is a different issue.