2 People Backed out after Final Payment

Hollr

> Even at 18, I can't imagine sharing a tiny ship cabin with my husband and grandparents!

To each their own. I offered out adult children (28 and 25) the chance to come along on our upcoming Alaska cruise. They both jumped at it. I found out the "additional bedding" was a sofa that expands to a double bed so we would probably want to do something makeshift. They each, separately, volunteered to sleep on the floor for a 7-day cruise.

We all know it will be extremely cozy but if it's worth putting up with for them, it's certainly worth it to DH and me! I am looking forward to making a family memory that they will enjoy long after DH and I are gone.

I don't think it was a mistake for the OP to ask here. Unfortunately, there are always snarky replies from people who don't have anything better to do than criticize legitimate questions, but hopefully the OP got some useful information as well.

Lol your adult children aren't married to each other!!!

We are talking about an 18 yo who is with her new husband...come on now??

Btw my adult children who are all single gladly share close quarters on a ship with me/us

But they aren't having sex with each other either.

Fwiw....and imho....the reason these 2 dont want to go is because they do t want to share a cabin with the grandparents

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No airline fees involved. I came up with the number by looking at totals when booked.

Fare - $120 total for both

Govt Fees - $300 total for both

Cruise Line Pass through fees - $400 total for both

Travel insurance - $200 total for both

Total for their portion - $1020

When I posted, I had no clue that they wouldn't lose all of that. I assumed all of it for be forfeited. I guess that was ignorant on my part. That's why I asked on here hoping someone could explain it better. It was booked through RCI Travel for those asking about that. Maybe we got a crappy deal. This is all new to me.

For others asking about the room situation. The only time anyone would be in the cabin is to sleep or shower. The cruise wasn't booked to be in the room. In all honestly the two 18 years olds should've been thankful they got to go on a "free for them" trip. Beggars can't be choosers when it comes to sharing a room. But hey.... now my parents won't have to worry about it because they'll only have 2 in their room.

Hopefully this explains everything to everyone on here. My apologies for not understanding how the cancelation works and making the mistake of asking about it on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Personally I think the 18 yos are in over their head but that's just me

However....you are right a cabin is for sleeping and showering I agree

But in case you've forgotten ..lol..the definition of sleeping to an 18 yo newlywed is a bit different than your grandparents definition....as it should be

Lol.

If your mom has not already done so, she should contact NCL immediately to discuss this. With Royal, you can cancel 3rd and 4th passengers from the cruise up to a certain point with no loss of cost (you get refunded the entire amount paid for them), except in this case the insurance might not be refunded.

They may only be out the insurance cost in the end.

I'm sorry that your parents are caught in something like this; certainly it's wonderful that they've taken on raising their granddaughter, but sad that there is all of this drama surrounding her life.

Wishing you and your parents a wonderful anniversary.

If your mom has not already done so, she should contact NCL immediately to discuss this. With Royal, you can cancel 3rd and 4th passengers from the cruise up to a certain point with no loss of cost (you get refunded the entire amount paid for them), except in this case the insurance might not be refunded.

They may only be out the insurance cost in the end.

I'm sorry that your parents are caught in something like this; certainly it's wonderful that they've taken on raising their granddaughter, but sad that there is all of this drama surrounding her life.

Wishing you and your parents a wonderful anniversary.

They are not out the insurance money, they are still using it. I assume it would be something they would've purchased if they were sailing alone, and the other couple's portion was only a very small pice of it.

They are not out the insurance money, they are still using it. I assume it would be something they would've purchased if they were sailing alone, and the other couple's portion was only a very small pice of it.

I would agree, unless I misunderstood and the insurance amount the OP mentioned was for the niece/nephew only.

If in fact the insurance amount was for all 4 people, then the additional costs for the 3rd/4th would be quite small. Hopefully, OP's parents will find that they can cancel the granddaughter and her husband and be refunded the full amount paid for them and not be out anything but the extra insurance.

From RCIs Website:

RCI® Cruise Pass

We know you love to cruise, and we want to make it even easier. When you purchase a cruise with Standard Exchange with a qualified Deposit with a Deposit Trading Power of 14 or 40,000 Points, you will receive the RCI Cruise Pass in the mail. This special RCI Cruise Pass provides you with the opportunity to purchase additional sailings within 12 months from the date of your initial booking without exchanging additional Points or a qualified Deposit or paying a cruise exchange fee. You'll enjoy Standard Exchange savings without the exchange.

Here's how it works:

•Book a Standard Exchange cruise by exchanging a qualified Deposit with a Deposit Trading Power of 14 or 40,000 Points.

•Receive your Cruise Pass in the mail.

•Call 1-877-RCI-BOAT or visit CruiseRCI.com to plan your next cruise vacation at Standard Exchange savings without the exchange!

> We are talking about an 18 yo who is with her new husband...come on now??

Come on yourself. If she would rather have frequent sex with her husband, she could have simply said No thank you to the cruise - that would have been completely understandable. But to accept the generous offer and not let the grandparents know they had changed their minds until after final payment is rude in the extreme - kind of like a judgmental post that it was a bad idea to offer a free cruise to a married 18YO.

And actually, you are assuming that they are newly married - may or may not be true. Not that it makes any difference to the discourtesy of accepting and then wiggling out when it's too late for the grandparents to get a refund.

Come on yourself. If she would rather have frequent sex with her husband, she could have simply said No thank you to the cruise - that would have been completely understandable. But to accept the generous offer and not let the grandparents know they had changed their minds until after final payment is rude in the extreme - kind of like a judgmental post that it was a bad idea to offer a free cruise to a married 18YO.

And actually, you are assuming that they are newly married - may or may not be true. Not that it makes any difference to the discourtesy of accepting and then wiggling out when it's too late for the grandparents to get a refund.

Like many not familiar with cruising, the couple might not have known about no refunds after final payment, especially since there was insurance purchased. I do think they owe the grandparents $120.

I've tried to google it some. It appears to be something to do with them using a cruise certificate from RCI Travel. They bought the certificate at a discounted price. The pass through fees must be where RCI recoups their cost of the cruise or something. That's my assumption. It's not a great deal it doesn't seem.

I have been following this and am interested in hearing if you have called the insurance co and what they said. or if you have resolved the issue and what was the outcome thanks

When I posted, I had no clue that they wouldn't lose all of that. I assumed all of it for be forfeited. I guess that was ignorant on my part. That's why I asked on here hoping someone could explain it better. It was booked through RCI Travel for those asking about that. Maybe we got a crappy deal. This is all new to me.

For others asking about the room situation. The only time anyone would be in the cabin is to sleep or shower. The cruise wasn't booked to be in the room. In all honestly the two 18 years olds should've been thankful they got to go on a "free for them" trip. Beggars can't be choosers when it comes to sharing a room. But hey.... now my parents won't have to worry about it because they'll only have 2 in their room.

Hopefully this explains everything to everyone on here. My apologies for not understanding how the cancelation works and making the mistake of asking about it on here.

No apologies necessary. I think you've more than explained the situation. You appear to have been against the situation somewhat from the start so in the end, this works out better. And now that you've found out your parents will be out a little less money, it's become much better! Y'all will go on the cruise and have a wonderful time. A thought...get the anniversary package for your parents. It would be a nice gesture. I think you can order online.

I guess you didn't read the entire thread. The op states she got married as soon as she was legal and that she is still 18

Where do you get it's a generous offer?

3/4 are free

The insurance would have been purchased anyway

There is no airfare

Tax and port are refundable

This RCI transfer nonsense would have been incurred anyway

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to recognize that once the bride and groom realized that they would be sleeping dressing bathing in very close quarters with grandma and grandpa that they realized just how restrictive this set up would be

And yes....their objective is to have sex quite frequently ....yup even if they got married 6 months ago and not last week. This is not abnormal btw.

To think otherwise is rather naive

Bottom line here....they don't want to share the cabin!!!!

Inconsiderate selfish self centered...yes...and I bet these 2 are trouble with a capital T (as alluded to by the aunt several posts ago)

But the grandparents were clueless if they actually thought they were doing a good thing and should have realized this setup was ridiculous

But I digress....the reality is it's about $120 loss

As posted previously....pennies in the scheme of things and absolutely nothing to lose sleep over

Just write it off to naivety and forget it and the grands and the aunt should wish the newlyweds well and remind them they are legally married and totally responsible for themselves ....and to have fun making the rent payments because no one is going to support them but themselves. Lots of luck with that one !

I have been following this and am interested in hearing if you have called the insurance co and what they said. or if you have resolved the issue and what was the outcome thanks

I'm still waiting for her to call. I have pestered her every day to call and at least find out what can be done in an official capacity. She is still holding out hope they'll change their mind. So for now.... to be continued!

Trust me... I've put my 2 cents in on more than one occasion. It's a sore subject! For them to ease up on her, they'd have to take a step back from helping her dad out so much.

Nonetheless, my first thought was they'll have more room! See my husband and I are celebrating our 10 year anniversary 2 months early on this cruise.... this also means my parents could be celebrating their 50th 2 months early. The anniversary is a week before ours! I'm going to just try to seek the positive out of this all. My dad isn't in the best of health so I'm going to cherish the vacations I have left with him.

That a girl....think positive and have a wonderful anniversary cruise with your hubby and parents. No point in stressing over something you have no control over. Happy Anniversary!

I'm still waiting for her to call. I have pestered her every day to call and at least find out what can be done in an official capacity. She is still holding out hope they'll change their mind. So for now.... to be continued!

What could they possibly cover?

From what I gather your parents aren't out anything

I had a friend back out on me about a week before the cruise. She said she figured she could not afford it. I had booked our air and she had paid me for that. The cruise was comped but I was able to get most of the fees back. I was out a little bit but I let it go. I was more upset that she waited so long and it was too late to find someone to go in her place. Lesson learned.

I've tried to google it some. It appears to be something to do with them using a cruise certificate from RCI Travel. They bought the certificate at a discounted price. The pass through fees must be where RCI recoups their cost of the cruise or something. That's my assumption. It's not a great deal it doesn't seem.

Is this some kind of timeshare thing?

Bill

I've read the posts and what I see is the grands are out $120

Pennies in the scheme of things

Btw I agree 100% that it's more about a young couple having to share with the grandparents than anything else

To the aunt....it's apparent that you are a bit resentful that your parents had to raise your niece and it's understandable but honestly there is very little money lost here so just move on

Now that your niece is a legally married adult should actually make you happy as she is no longer anyone's responsibility.

The happy couple can now go off into the sunset blissfully happy and secure in their love for each other and be grateful for the well paying jobs they most certainly have. Well they must have them I would think in order to support themselves

Fwiw....keep an eye on your parents finances as it's my guess they will be giving them plenty of cash in the future when your niece comes crying that they can't pay their bills and are on the verge of eviction

Nothing is new under the sun and your niece and her groom are very easy to figure out.

In the long run, your parents are saving a lot of money if the niece/husband don't go. They'd have to pay for their excursions/additional food/souvenirs etc.

I don't consider them irresponsible. They are children, even if the law allows them to get married. Your parents seem like very nice and generous people and were trying to do a good thing.

What could they possibly cover?

From what I gather your parents aren't out anything

No matter what it sounds like r out $120 that they would have gotten refunded if the niece and husband told them earlier they didn't want to go; but insurance won't cover it if they just changed their minds. I'm still a little confused if the transfer fee was going to be on the cabin either way or if that was additional for the niece and husband... $520 is a lot harder to swallow than $120.

No matter what it sounds like r out $120 that they would have gotten refunded if the niece and husband told them earlier they didn't want to go; but insurance won't cover it if they just changed their minds. I'm still a little confused if the transfer fee was going to be on the cabin either way or if that was additional for the niece and husband... $520 is a lot harder to swallow than $120.

Reading thru the posts it's my understanding that the $120 probably relates to the extra insurance they paid for these 2

The $400 nonsense is a non issue as it had to be paid to RCI...or so it seems

Taxes and port are refundable

And dsc wont need to be paid now nor will excursions etc

So if the $120 is the extra insurance then of course the insurance won't cover it because it's basically the insurance premium....which we all know is not refundable

Just as an aside....I cruise and travel often and actually own a deeded beachfront timeshare on the cape which we use every single summer for 2 weeks....I would never trade it ...I just rent it on my own if we can't use all 14 nights....I do not belong to RCI or IIR ...nor do I want to...why?

Because we want a beachfront cape cod timeshare....not a unit in Hilton head etc that is not a simple 4 hour car ride away...

But more importantly....we are never going to become RCI members because the costs make any cruise etc that we book thru them to be cost prohibitive

I doubt that I could have done much better thru some timeshare gimmick when I booked my oct 2016 gem 8 day balcony for $650 total per person

No silly $400 fee to a 3rd party

Also for my land based Europe trip this summer my $750 r/t prime season airfare and my great hotel prices I got directly from the hotels would not have been beat by RCI nor would any hotel they could offer me be any better located than the ones I have

When we bought our timeshare in 2007 and they tried to sell me on all the great deals we could now get on cruises ....I took one look at the prices and fees associated and knew they were not a good deal at all.

My timeshare though is a great deal....my door opens up to the sand!!!!! And I drive to my timeshare!!!! I own it forever I have a land deed and my kids will use it when I'm gone and it's recently renovated to a 5 star resort and run by a well known well respected reputable and well run resort management company

Update for everyone - My Mom called today to cancel those 2. They will be refunded a little over $800, so they're out roughly $200. I can live with that, and I think Mom even breathed a sigh of relief. I also think it's safe to say they won't be taking anymore chances on prepaying anything for my niece and her husband.

Lesson learned.... Now we can kill this thread and move on to all the other questions on here, and I can continue counting down to our cruise! :)

Update for everyone - My Mom called today to cancel those 2. They will be refunded a little over $800, so they're out roughly $200. I can live with that, and I think Mom even breathed a sigh of relief. I also think it's safe to say they won't be taking anymore chances on prepaying anything for my niece and her husband.

Lesson learned.... Now we can kill this thread and move on to all the other questions on here, and I can continue counting down to our cruise! :)

good to hear, enjoy the cruise

I'm glad she called and got it done, and $200 is a small price to pay for learning a lesson like this. It was lovely of her to want to do this, but in the future she'll be more cautious in her upfront payments for them.

Wishing you both a wonderful anniversary cruise!