Civitavecchia Train Station A Lot Farther Now

scubamargie

Luggage?...is this a regular port day or is this debarcation?. If this is the end point of your cruise, I doubt seriously you could get off the ship before 7 am at best, and most likely somewhat later.

I may have misunderstood what you were asking. If you were just planning to leave the ship at CV on a regular port day, rethink your plan. The fine for leaving early is enormous.

Hopefully I misunderstood what you said.

Doug

Does anyone know what time the shuttle bus from port entrance to train station starts in the morning? Somewhere I thought I saw 7:50 am was first shuttle bus, but I cannot find confirmation. Anyone know? Is the cost about 2 euro pp?

Don't know first bus as we disembarked here so ate breakfast first. Bus from port to city bus is free. City bus/shuttle to train station is €4 pp as of 3 weeks ago. Pay at the kiosk and you get a ticket.

Does anyone know what time the shuttle bus from port entrance to train station starts in the morning? Somewhere I thought I saw 7:50 am was first shuttle bus, but I cannot find confirmation. Anyone know? Is the cost about 2 euro pp?

The bus from the port entrance to the train station is not a shuttle, it is a special line of the urban transit company. The first run of the day is at 8:10 AM. You can see the schedule on the city's web site here: http://static.civitavecchia.gov.it/uploads/2016/09/LINEA-SPECIALE.pdf

Luggage?...is this a regular port day or is this debarcation?. If this is the end point of your cruise, I doubt seriously you could get off the ship before 7 am at best, and most likely somewhat later.

I may have misunderstood what you were asking. If you were just planning to leave the ship at CV on a regular port day, rethink your plan. The fine for leaving early is enormous.

Hopefully I misunderstood what you said.

Doug

As I said, we are arriving/disembarking in civitavecchia at 5am. My question was, is it possible to get to train station 2 hours after ship scheduled to arrive (has anyone encountered this - ie 6am arrival making an 8 am train to Rome. ) nowhere did I say I would leave early and risk fines. If not possible, I buy a later train ticket. No problem - it's a vacation.

As I said, we are arriving/disembarking in civitavecchia at 5am. My question was, is it possible to get to train station 2 hours after ship scheduled to arrive (has anyone encountered this - ie 6am arrival making an 8 am train to Rome. ) nowhere did I say I would leave early and risk fines. If not possible, I buy a later train ticket. No problem - it's a vacation.

One sure way is to use express disembarkation (where you carry your own luggage) and simply get off the ship by around 7....and just walk to the train station (you are permitted to walk in/out of the port) using the old port exit by the Fort). Of course this could be a very long walk (depending on dockiing position you might have more then a mile) and you would need to be able to comfortably handle your luggage. The walk is flat...so if you can roll your luggage (and like long walks) you would be fine. There will also be taxis at the pier....but it will be difficult to persuade any of the drivers to take you that short distance.

If the shuttle bus is running by 7, you could use that to the shuttle drop point and then walk to the station (this could be a slightly shorter walk then doing it from your docking location).

Hank

I can see there is a wealth of experience on this thread - and I would like to pick your brains regarding our plan. We are scheduled to disembark CV at 6am. So allowing an hour or so for disembarkation what would be the best route/timetable to leave CV and head to Naples by train and then on to Sorrento in a day? We plan to walk off the ship and to the train station, unless we see a shuttle for the train station. We were in CV six years ago, but after reading prior comments I do see the port area has been repositioned. We are avid walkers so the added distance isn't an issue, except for the added time. (sorry in advance if you feel I am posting in the wrong spot).

There's only one train option that does not require changing trains at Termini, that's the 9:24 AM IC train. It stops at Termini but you don't get off so the benefit of this one is convenience. It's also less expensive but it takes three hours. Most of the connections take almost as long (the 7:44 from Civitavecchia takes you 2:48 to get to Naples, the 7:58 takes 3:05, the 8:42 takes 2:38) so it might be worthwhile to hang out on the ship and enjoy breakfast for the easier trip. For what it's worth, IC trains are the only ones that I pay for first class because there really is a difference in the seating. First class on these trains about the same price or a little less than second class on the Frecce trains.

The real benefit, however, is avoiding the three block walk at Termini between the regional track head and the main tracks, where you get the train to Naples.

The biggest downside to this plan is the later arrival in Naples (the IC arrives at 12:29, the 7:44 train with the connection arrives at 10:32. So there's your tradeoff, convenience vs. time.

Once at Naples you need to figure out how to get to Sorrento. There are three options, a car service (about €90, maybe a little less), the ferry (€12,30 per person plus €2 per bag, plus the cost of getting from the train station to the ferry port and from the ferry port in Sorrento to your hotel), or the local train (least expensive but MOST uncomfortable).

Once at Napes you need to figure out how to get to Sorrento. There are three options, a car service (about €90, maybe a little less), the ferry (€12,30 per person plus €2 per bag, plus the cost of getting from the train station to the ferry port and from the ferry port in Sorrento to your hotel), or the local train (least expensive but MOST uncomfortable).

This was SO helpful - thank you! Just wondering why you consider the train to Sorrento "uncomfortable"? ~Joyce

This was SO helpful - thank you! Just wondering why you consider the train to Sorrento "uncomfortable"? ~Joyce

The little Circumvesuviana line is more like a metro rail than a train. It's one of the main ways of getting around for all of the little towns around the base of Vesuvius. ("Circumvesuviana" literally means "around Vesuvius".)

Most of the stock is old, and seating is first-come first-serve. There are a lot of stops and locals get on and off frequently, so you must keep an eye on your luggage or keep it with you (for which there really isn't room).

That said, it remains a reasonable option, not least because you can get on it right there in the main train station (although down one level) from where you arrive. I've taken it quite a few times and if you can just go with the flow and enjoy watching the interactions between locals and tourists, it can be fun.

Edited to add: there can also be pickpockets on the train, so be sure any valuables (money, passports, credit cards) are completely inaccessible.

The little Circumvesuviana line is more like a metro rail than a train. It's one of the main ways of getting around for all of the little towns around the base of Vesuvius. ("Circumvesuviana" literally means "around Vesuvius".)

Most of the stock is old, and seating is first-come first-serve. There are a lot of stops and locals get on and off frequently, so you must keep an eye on your luggage or keep it with you (for which there really isn't room).

That said, it remains a reasonable option, not least because you can get on it right there in the main train station (although down one level) from where you arrive. I've taken it quite a few times and if you can just go with the flow and enjoy watching the interactions between locals and tourists, it can be fun.

Edited to add: there can also be pickpockets on the train, so be sure any valuables (money, passports, credit cards) are completely inaccessible.

We just visited Puerto Vallarta Mexico and rode the local bus. I can totally enjoy going with the flow :) Thanks for the great information!

Can anyone tell me which Naples station I should purchase a ticket for? I see many "napoli" listed and want to make sure we get to the correct station to connect with Circumvesuviana. ~Joyce

We just visited Puerto Vallarta Mexico and rode the local bus. I can totally enjoy going with the flow :) Thanks for the great information!

Can anyone tell me which Naples station I should purchase a ticket for? I see many "napoli" listed and want to make sure we get to the correct station to connect with Circumvesuviana. ~Joyce

The station is Napoli Centrale, it's the main train station of Naples.

Just to make things a little confusing, though, when you go down a level to catch the Circumvesuviana (there are signs), the station is referred to as "Napoli Garibaldi". So don't be confused; if you see either name it is the same location.

The station is Napoli Centrale, it's the main train station of Naples.

Just to make things a little confusing, though, when you go down a level to catch the Circumvesuviana (there are signs), the station is referred to as "Napoli Garibaldi". So don't be confused; if you see either name it is the same location.

Thank you for the invaluable information - and sorry if I got a little off subject on this thread! Do you recommend purchasing tickets in advance - or just doing so at the station in Civitavecchia and then again in Naples?

Thank you for the invaluable information - and sorry if I got a little off subject on this thread! Do you recommend purchasing tickets in advance - or just doing so at the station in Civitavecchia and then again in Naples?

There's no reason to buy tickets in advance for the Circumvesuviana line as there's no assigned seating (and hence no "sellouts").

If you're taking eurocruiser's advice and going with the later IC train from Civitavecchia, I'd probably purchase that in advance, since it's late enough that there's very little chance you'd miss it. I'm not sure if the IC trains have better prices if you purchase in advance, but some trains do.

Don't you get to choose your seats if you buy IC in advance?

Yes. I didn't say otherwise. :confused:

But if you buy tickets in advance, they are nonrefundable and can't be exchanged, so if there is a chance you might not make the train, you should weight that against the potential savings of buying the tickets in advance.

I just checked the fare for the IC train (Civitavecchia to Naples) for a random date about six weeks from now. Super Economy 2nd class tickets are already sold out, but Super Economy 1st class is still available for €24,90. Base fare, which is what you pay as a walk up on the day of travel, is €33 in 2nd class and €43,50 in 1st class.

Regarding the Circumvesuviana from Naples to Sorrento, all I can say is that it gets you there. Period. If it's at all within your budget and/or your timetable and convenience limits, I'd consider one of the alternatives. I've used the Circumvesuviana many times, starting back in 2001, and there's really nothing to recommend it except that it's inexpensive and it does get you from point A to point B. If you have no luggage to be concerned about and don't mind the likely outcome of standing for most or all of your hour-plus journey, then you won't be as annoyed as I generally am. With luggage to be concerned about (both making sure you don't lose it as well as keeping it out of the way of others) the Circumvesuviana simply goes beyond my patience quota.

I've used the Circumvesuviana many times, starting back in 2001, and there's really nothing to recommend it except that it's inexpensive and it does get you from point A to point B. If you have no luggage to be concerned about and don't mind the likely outcome of standing for most or all of your hour-plus journey, then you won't be as annoyed as I generally am. With luggage to be concerned about (both making sure you don't lose it as well as keeping it out of the way of others) the Circumvesuviana simply goes beyond my patience quota.

Apparently one of the few instances where my patience is greater than yours! :D

I just checked the fare for the IC train (Civitavecchia to Naples) for a random date about six weeks from now. Super Economy 2nd class tickets are already sold out, but Super Economy 1st class is still available for €24,90. Base fare, which is what you pay as a walk up on the day of travel, is €33 in 2nd class and €43,50 in 1st class.

Great info! How far out do you recommend booking a ticket? ~Joyce

If we walk off the ship with our luggage at CV is the shuttle able to handle the luggage underside or do we carry it up into the seating area? Trying to picture this with hundreds of passengers.

We need to decide if a private pick up at pier is better for us and our luggage or train after we get off shuttle.

For perspective, the walk from the station to the shuttle bus used to be four-tenths of a mile. The new shuttle bus location is nine-tenths of a mile from the train station. So, while it is more than twice as far as it used to be, it's still just under a mile.

Are there taxis readily available at the train station to go to the port?

7am arriving in Rome at 818am. Then leaving rome at 849am to get to Salerno at 1118. Then we will have 6 minutes to get the train to Pompeii :eek: but we are traveling with 1 suitcase each and 1 backpack and both run 10k's so we are not worried about having to move quickly. Then on from Salerno to Pompeii at 1212pm. As long as we get off the boat by at least 6am, we should be ok, correct?

don't think so. What dock does the ship arrive at? here's a map of the port.

http://www.civitavecchiaport.org/civitavecchia-port-map/

If the boat docks at 11, 12, or 13 , you could have up to a .98 mile WALK to the fort and then another .45 mile WALK from the fort to the train station. So a 1 1/2 mile walk would take you about 30-45 minutes assuming you don't get lost. No local taxi is going to take you from the ship to the train station. also, depending on the sunrise, you may be walking in the dark on an ugly road. While the walk is flat and paved, There is a seawall on the oceanside blocking your view and the roadway in the center with a narrow area to walk along the shipside. I don't think it's that safe in the dark.

(If the attachment works, I've included a picture from the ship at dock 10 looking towards dock 11. the picture was taken at 7:47am in October, 2016. it was darker than the picture appears.)

also, the free shuttle that takes you from boat to the Largo della pace starts around 7:00 am, so if you get off the ship at 6:00 am, you will be walking.

Your best bet, assuming you can get off the ship at 6:00am, is to hire in advance, a car service to meet you at the ship and take you to Rome Termini. That will cost around 100 Euro for a private hire. don't take a cheaper shared shuttle, (around 69 euro for two) because they will wait to pick up passengers at other ships and take them to the airport first before they go into Rome.

IMHO, 6 minutes to rush from train to train would cause me a lot of stress. and if you don't know where you have to sprint too, 6 minutes is pushing it. what if the train is late?

also if the train goes from Salerno to Naples, you will have to switch to the Circumvesisiva (sic), the local train that goes to Pompeii.

I hope you seriously rethink this one.

IMG_5065.jpg.e0d86f018454fc48d88202070b5cd5d5.jpg

Are there taxis readily available at the train station to go to the port?

Readily available? No! Maybe available...yes. For taxis, that kind of short fare is a last resort and Italian taxis will simply say no. The problem is that you are talking about a 1 mile ride (at most) and taxis are looking for longer hauls. There is a public bus that will take you from across the street (form the station) to the site where you can then change to a free port shuttle...to your ship.

Hank