Civitavecchia Train Station A Lot Farther Now

scubamargie

Are there taxis readily available at the train station to go to the port?

Readily available? Not normally. But it is possible that you will find a taxi....and more likely you will not find a taxi...or at least a taxi willing to do the short haul to the port. There will generally be a public bus (across the street from the station) that you can take to the bus stop where you can then transfer to a free Port Shuttle bus that would take you to your ship.

Hank

If we walk off the ship with our luggage at CV is the shuttle able to handle the luggage underside or do we carry it up into the seating area? Trying to picture this with hundreds of passengers.

We need to decide if a private pick up at pier is better for us and our luggage or train after we get off shuttle.

Yes, it will go underside where there is plenty of room. In fact they won't let you take anything other than small hand baggage onto the bus.

There are usually taxis (minivans) waiting for people coming off trains at Civitavecchia. They are happy to take you to the ship, it doesn't make sense for them to hold out for a better fare in Civitavecchia… I don't know how much they are charging these days, but it's typically a flat fare per car or per person. If it's per car you can try sharing with other people heading to the ship.

The bus to the the port welcome area is 2 euros per person, but it doesn't operate for 2.5 hours at lunchtime, so a taxi would be your only (convenient) option at that time, if you have a lot of luggage. If you are able to walk a little bit, go in the McDonald's/Fort entrance to the port (10 minutes), walk another 5 minutes around the Fort, and there is a shuttle bus stop there, across the street from the parking lot. Or just walk another 5-10 minutes the rest of the way to the ship.

Thanks for the info about the taxis. Hopefully we'll get lucky, if not we'll hop on the bus.

That is a good plan :). Just leave some extra time in case it takes you longer then expected to get back to the ship.

Hank

That is a good plan :). Just leave some extra time in case it takes you longer then expected to get back to the ship.

Hank

Thanks. If we take that 7:33 train out of Florence, we should be at Civitavecchia around 11:15, I believe. I'm assuming it won't take too long to actually get to the port and then board. We are in AQ, so we should be able to get right on when we get there.

To cruisemom42 (or anyone else for that matter), I am travelling on the NCL Epic at the end of May. I am feeling a little overwhelmed at the thought of foreign ports, mainly because of how expensive the shore excursions are through NCL. My family and I have discussed just venturing out on our own and, from reading some previous posts, I believe that this can be completely doable. Could you provide any insight as to what would be the easiest and most cost effective way to travel to Rome from Civitavecchia? Also, how close together are all the major attractions? If anything, I at least would like to see the Colosseum. I would love to take my mother into Rome with us, but she has mobility issues...she has to walk with a walker for extended periods of time. I don't know how accessible it would be to get her there? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Could you provide any insight as to what would be the easiest and most cost effective way to travel to Rome from Civitavecchia? Also, how close together are all the major attractions? If anything, I at least would like to see the Colosseum. I would love to take my mother into Rome with us, but she has mobility issues...she has to walk with a walker for extended periods of time. I don't know how accessible it would be to get her there? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated

I presume this is your port stop with the Epic home port at Barcelona?

When I was there, there was a lot of walking, I must have walked for like 3hrs from Colosseum to Vatican stopping for photos via Trevvi Fountain, Pantheon etc. It is all walkable if you are fit and well with the Colosseum and Vatican just a little away from the rest of the sights. Of course there are buses and subway you can use.

Going with someone with mobility issue perhaps take a look at this or others similar http://www.tuscanybus.com/panoramic-tour-rome/

To cruisemom42 (or anyone else for that matter), I am travelling on the NCL Epic at the end of May. I am feeling a little overwhelmed at the thought of foreign ports, mainly because of how expensive the shore excursions are through NCL. My family and I have discussed just venturing out on our own and, from reading some previous posts, I believe that this can be completely doable. Could you provide any insight as to what would be the easiest and most cost effective way to travel to Rome from Civitavecchia? Also, how close together are all the major attractions? If anything, I at least would like to see the Colosseum. I would love to take my mother into Rome with us, but she has mobility issues...she has to walk with a walker for extended periods of time. I don't know how accessible it would be to get her there? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated [emoji3]

The distance from the port of Civitavecchia (and the recent "relocation" of the port entrance farther from the train station) does make it more difficult to do this port on your own, especially if mobility is a concern. You would have to get on and off the port shuttle, then on and off the local bus (or walk nearly a mile to the station). Then you'd have to board the train, which may involve going down and up a flight of stairs at the station first. The local ("regionale") trains do not have assigned seats, so people often have to stand, at least part of the way.

As you can see, it's not easy if you're not in reasonably good shape, and that's before you even arrive at Rome, where there is a lot of walking to be done.

How many are in your family group? I ask because it may be cost-effective for you to look at a private tour -- with four or more people it is usually about the same or less than one of the full-day "big bus" excursions offered by the cruise line, and so much easier for anyone who finds walking difficult. They can drop you all off very close to most attractions (such as the Colosseum) and if you get your tickets in advance to avoid the wait you can even go inside (there is an elevator).

Have a look at some of the recommended companies and see what they offer. It will still be an expensive day, but it will also likely be one that you remember forever.

Ships also usually offer a "transportation only" option into Rome, which makes the travel part easier. However once in Rome you still have to get around... Easy for the able-bodied, as the Historic Center is not that big. But daunting if you have mobility challenges.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Six years ago we took the train from Civitavecchia to Rome and then on a hop on hop off tour bus that circled the major sites in Rome. If you do your research before hand it is doable. The things you want to see are not extremely far apart. Many people walk it, but if you are only there for the day a tour bus is quicker. The train station is very busy in Rome and you do want to watch the times to return. If this sounds like more then you want to attempt on your own there are other private excursion companies. We've used some before and have never had an issue. Check trip advisors website or even just google it. Read the reviews and book with a company many other people have used. Connect with other passengers on your roll call - often there are others that want to do something similar and know the ropes. They might be open to booking a small group tour with you to save money. Much better then a large NCL group tour in my opinion.

don't think so. What dock does the ship arrive at? here's a map of the port.

http://www.civitavecchiaport.org/civitavecchia-port-map/

If the boat docks at 11, 12, or 13 , you could have up to a .98 mile WALK to the fort and then another .45 mile WALK from the fort to the train station. So a 1 1/2 mile walk would take you about 30-45 minutes assuming you don't get lost. No local taxi is going to take you from the ship to the train station. also, depending on the sunrise, you may be walking in the dark on an ugly road. While the walk is flat and paved, There is a seawall on the oceanside blocking your view and the roadway in the center with a narrow area to walk along the shipside. I don't think it's that safe in the dark.

(If the attachment works, I've included a picture from the ship at dock 10 looking towards dock 11. the picture was taken at 7:47am in October, 2016. it was darker than the picture appears.)

also, the free shuttle that takes you from boat to the Largo della pace starts around 7:00 am, so if you get off the ship at 6:00 am, you will be walking.

Your best bet, assuming you can get off the ship at 6:00am, is to hire in advance, a car service to meet you at the ship and take you to Rome Termini. That will cost around 100 Euro for a private hire. don't take a cheaper shared shuttle, (around 69 euro for two) because they will wait to pick up passengers at other ships and take them to the airport first before they go into Rome.

IMHO, 6 minutes to rush from train to train would cause me a lot of stress. and if you don't know where you have to sprint too, 6 minutes is pushing it. what if the train is late?

also if the train goes from Salerno to Naples, you will have to switch to the Circumvesisiva (sic), the local train that goes to Pompeii.

I hope you seriously rethink this one.

As i said before, if we miss the train, we get on another. It's a vacation. When i come back, i will post about how it all transpires. No need to seriously rethink anything.

Depending on the sunrise, you may be walking in the dark on an ugly road. While the walk is flat and paved, There is a seawall on the oceanside blocking your view and the roadway in the center with a narrow area to walk along the shipside. I don't think it's that safe in the dark.

I did this same walk last September getting off the Epic at 6.00am. There was no problem and it was safe enough, even though it was still dark

Readily available? Not normally. But it is possible that you will find a taxi....and more likely you will not find a taxi...or at least a taxi willing to do the short haul to the port. There will generally be a public bus (across the street from the station) that you can take to the bus stop where you can then transfer to a free Port Shuttle bus that would take you to your ship.

Hank

Do you happen to know of any companies in Civitavecchia that would do a simple private transfer from the train station directly to the ship? I emailed Rome Cabs, hoping that since they will surely have cars/drivers in Civitavecchia on embarkation day, that we could arrange a transfer. They suggested that I try a local company. I found one, Romeairport.net (I found it on the port web site), which I emailed. They got back to me right away but just suggest that we take a taxi at the train station. We are fine with that; just trying to avoid having to schlepp luggage on two busses in the event we can't find a taxi.

Do you happen to know of any companies in Civitavecchia that would do a simple private transfer from the train station directly to the ship? I emailed Rome Cabs, hoping that since they will surely have cars/drivers in Civitavecchia on embarkation day, that we could arrange a transfer. They suggested that I try a local company. I found one, Romeairport.net (I found it on the port web site), which I emailed. They got back to me right away but just suggest that we take a taxi at the train station. We are fine with that; just trying to avoid having to schlepp luggage on two busses in the event we can't find a taxi.

I sincerely doubt you're going to find any transfer company willing to reserve for such a short trip.

Why not just locate the number for a taxi service in Civitavecchia, bring the number with you, and call them for a pick-up at the train station when you arrive, if there are no taxis waiting?

Sure, you may have to wait a few minutes (and you'll pay a little extra in fare, since taxis charge you for the distance they travel to pick you up as well as for the trip to the port), but you won't have to "schlep" luggage....

I sincerely doubt you're going to find any transfer company willing to reserve for such a short trip.

Why not just locate the number for a taxi service in Civitavecchia, bring the number with you, and call them for a pick-up at the train station when you arrive, if there are no taxis waiting?

Sure, you may have to wait a few minutes (and you'll pay a little extra in fare, since taxis charge you for the distance they travel to pick you up as well as for the trip to the port), but you won't have to "schlep" luggage....

Great idea. Thanks. I didn't think that anyone would do a short trip, but I figured it couldn't hurt to inquire.

I think the companies that put the money into a web site are looking for more than local fares, so they're probably not your best bet.

Here's a list of local taxi companies from the yellow pages, but there's no way to know if they are licensed to drive into the port. I guess the best you can do is call, I've looked through the port authority web site and I don't find anything about authorizations.

Civitavecchia a Romeport Ncc

Via Falda Giovan Battista 3f -

Civitavecchia (RM)

tel. 3293857906

Taxi

11, V. Ciclamini

Civitavecchia (RM)

tel. 347 0891557

Civitavecchia Taxi

22, Viale Giuseppe Garibaldi

Civitavecchia (RM)

tel. 06 252610, 347 7582323

Taxi Med

21, Via Benedetto Blasi

Civitavecchia (RM)

tel. 339 2773491

Rim-Taxi

16, Via Flaminio Mattei

Civitavecchia (RM)

tel. 393 3146489

There were taxis outside the train station when we got to Civi last month. It was €20 to the ship. My husband and I split with two Japanese ladies so €5 each.

On the way back, NO taxis would take us back to the train station. They wanted to take us all the way to Rome. So we had to do port shuttle to city shuttle to the train station.

I think the companies that put the money into a web site are looking for more than local fares, so they're probably not your best bet.

Here's a list of local taxi companies from the yellow pages, but there's no way to know if they are licensed to drive into the port. I guess the best you can do is call, I've looked through the port authority web site and I don't find anything about authorizations.

Civitavecchia a Romeport Ncc

Via Falda Giovan Battista 3f -

Civitavecchia (RM)

tel. 3293857906

Taxi

11, V. Ciclamini

Civitavecchia (RM)

tel. 347 0891557

Civitavecchia Taxi

22, Viale Giuseppe Garibaldi

Civitavecchia (RM)

tel. 06 252610, 347 7582323

Taxi Med

21, Via Benedetto Blasi

Civitavecchia (RM)

tel. 339 2773491

Rim-Taxi

16, Via Flaminio Mattei

Civitavecchia (RM)

tel. 393 3146489

Thanks!!

There were taxis outside the train station when we got to Civi last month. It was €20 to the ship. My husband and I split with two Japanese ladies so €5 each.

On the way back, NO taxis would take us back to the train station. They wanted to take us all the way to Rome. So we had to do port shuttle to city shuttle to the train station.

Good to know that there were taxis available. On the way back, at the end of the cruise, we already have private transportation to take us to the airport. Just putting the last few pieces together on the front end.

Even if there aren't any taxis, there is a tourist office at the train station with English speaking staff. They can probably help you call for a cab.

But I figure if during low season in January with one ship embarking, there were half a dozen taxis waiting, you should be fine.

So how long would you say it took you? You went to the train station in Civit? ~Joyce

Joyce, got off the Epic at 6.00am, walked right through the port to the fort, and then straight to the railway station. I walked into the station at 6.40am and the 7.02am train was already there. An easy walk, even though it was still dark for about 20 minutes.The Epic had docked at 12 Bis (N).