Civitavecchia Train Station A Lot Farther Now

scubamargie

For those planning to take the train into Rome from Civitavecchia be aware that the port has been re-done. It is now at least a 25 minute walk to the train station. You can wait for the city bus, but it will be about a 30 minute wait. We walked briskly and managed to make it in time to catch the 7:44 train (ship arrived at 7 am), but we had to hustle. The taxis would not take us just to the train station. Once at S. Pietro station we walked to the Vatican Museums and just made it for our 9 am entry.

Thanks for the update.

At one point, I thought I read that there were 3 train stations in CV. Have they closed the station that used to be closest to the port entrance, or have the port entrance been moved?

This has been discussed quite a bit here in the Italy forum. If you do a search you should find extensive information.

In short: About three years ago, the entrance to the port in Civitavecchia was moved farther from the train station. Some initially thought it was a temporary move, but it has proved to be permanent.

The port shuttle buses now pick up and drop off passengers at this new entrance. The older entrance, near the Fort, is somewhat "in limbo" -- some people have said shuttles will still stop there, others have said not.

There is a local bus that runs from this new port entrance to the train station and back and carries passengers for a small fee. Depending on your timing, it MAY be faster to walk, but most times it probably won't be.

(I do not recall there ever being 3 train stations in Civitavecchia, despite what the Trenitalia site says....).

This has been discussed quite a bit here in the Italy forum. If you do a search you should find extensive information.

In short: About three years ago, the entrance to the port in Civitavecchia was moved farther from the train station. Some initially thought it was a temporary move, but it has proved to be permanent.

The port shuttle buses now pick up and drop off passengers at this new entrance. The older entrance, near the Fort, is somewhat "in limbo" -- some people have said shuttles will still stop there, others have said not.

There is a local bus that runs from this new port entrance to the train station and back and carries passengers for a small fee. Depending on your timing, it MAY be faster to walk, but most times it probably won't be.

(I do not recall there ever being 3 train stations in Civitavecchia, despite what the Trenitalia site says....).

I appreciate the explanation.

For perspective, the walk from the station to the shuttle bus used to be four-tenths of a mile. The new shuttle bus location is nine-tenths of a mile from the train station. So, while it is more than twice as far as it used to be, it's still just under a mile.

Guess we should reiterate that the local bus company does run a direct bus between the train station and port shuttle pick-up drop point. So now, folks really do not need to do any walking if they choose to use the buses. The local bus that runs between the shuttle and train station does have a small fee (my ole memory seems to think it was about 2€.

For those of us who love to walk, it is still possible to walk via the old port entrance (by the castle) although you will have to walk all the way to or from your ship....since the port shuttle no longer goes to that old Fort entrance/exit.

Hank

Not sure how I missed all the discussion before our cruise, but I wrongly assumed the ship shuttle still dropped off passengers at the little castle area right across from the McDonalds. When we arrived the ship's shuttle took a circuitous route and ended up farther away from the station. It sure seemed like more than half a mile! It's just less convenient than it used to be and takes more time. We ended up taking a taxi back from the station because it was raining when we returned from Rome. The taxi charged 5 euros per person (rip off!) but did take us right to the ship so we didn't need to wait for the port shuttle.

To me, this is just a good reminder that one should always revisit information. Things change, even within a year or two. Don't count on the same schedules for trains and buses, the same processes, even the same opening hours for sites. Always double-check that your information is still current.

Guess we should reiterate that the local bus company does run a direct bus between the train station and port shuttle pick-up drop point.

They do, but it is a normal bus. So if there are a number of ships in port and you arrive back at the station at then of the day with all the other tourists, it can be fun trying to get on.

I am also curious. We booked a 7am train on 5/6/17 to Rome. Ship docks at 5am at Civitavecchia We should have plenty of time, correct? We have to make connections to pompeii where we are staying for one night after our cruise. It is our first time in Italy and we don't want to mess anything up.

Question for the seasoned travelers. We arrive in Civitavecchia at 8am. We booked the train for 9:16 to Rome. Did we make a mistake scheduling it that early?

If you bought a reduced fare and you miss the train you'll lose the money. If you paid the base fare of €16 you can re-book on another train, the problem is that there isn't another Frecce train until 11:16. That would allow you to have a leisurely breakfast on board, however.

Question for the seasoned travelers. We arrive in Civitavecchia at 8am. We booked the train for 9:16 to Rome. Did we make a mistake scheduling it that early?

Edited because for some reason my post didn't show up until the question was already answered.

But I was assuming you booked the expensive Frecce train because you were concerned about luggage. For anyone headed into Rome for the day, it's really not necessary. You could've gotten the BIRG for 12 euro which includes your round-trip fare plus free use of the metro and bus system in Rome for the day.

I am also curious. We booked a 7am train on 5/6/17 to Rome. Ship docks at 5am at Civitavecchia We should have plenty of time, correct? We have to make connections to pompeii where we are staying for one night after our cruise. It is our first time in Italy and we don't want to mess anything up.

The ship may dock at 5:00 am, but there's no guarantee that passengers will be allowed off that early. Where are you catching your connecting train and at what time?

Edited because for some reason my post didn't show up until the question was already answered.

But I was assuming you booked the expensive Frecce train because you were concerned about luggage. For anyone headed into Rome for the day, it's really not necessary. You could've gotten the BIRG for 12 euro which includes your round-trip fare plus free use of the metro and bus system in Rome for the day.

We booked what we booked to get there in the fastest time. I didn't see anything called BIRG. The Frecce train gets to Rome in 47 minutes. We don't want to waste time on a slow train. I was only concerned that we have allowed enough time to get to the train station from our ship. Thank you.

We booked what we booked to get there in the fastest time. I didn't see anything called BIRG. The Frecce train gets to Rome in 47 minutes. We don't want to waste time on a slow train. I was only concerned that we have allowed enough time to get to the train station from our ship. Thank you.

The BIRG is a pass that you can purchase at the station (or on the way there). It's a good deal for daytrippers to Rome.

The Frecce train is fast, yes. But where are you headed in Rome? The Frecce only stops in Termini, which may not be the closest station to where you want to go. For instance, if you want to go to the Vatican or St. Peter's first, you could just take the ordinary regional train there -- it takes about the same amount of time (because San Pietro stop is before Termini), AND you are closer to your actual destination.

The same holds true if you want to go to the Colosseum first -- Termini isn't the fastest way to get there, even on the Frecce.

The BIRG is a pass that you can purchase at the station (or on the way there). It's a good deal for daytrippers to Rome.

The Frecce train is fast, yes. But where are you headed in Rome? The Frecce only stops in Termini, which may not be the closest station to where you want to go. For instance, if you want to go to the Vatican or St. Peter's first, you could just take the ordinary regional train there -- it takes about the same amount of time (because San Pietro stop is before Termini), AND you are closer to your actual destination.

The same holds true if you want to go to the Colosseum first -- Termini isn't the fastest way to get there, even on the Frecce.

Termini is exactly where we want to go. :-) We will have already spent 3 days in Rome prior to our cruise and done the Vatican and the Colessuem. NCL in their infinite wisdom set the schedule that puts us in Rome on a national holiday, May 1st. Everything we would have wanted to do is closed which is why we're going there first. It's all good, I get a longer vacation this way! Lol

The ship may dock at 5:00 am, but there's no guarantee that passengers will be allowed off that early. Where are you catching your connecting train and at what time?

7am arriving in Rome at 818am. Then leaving rome at 849am to get to Salerno at 1118. Then we will have 6 minutes to get the train to Pompeii :eek: but we are traveling with 1 suitcase each and 1 backpack and both run 10k's so we are not worried about having to move quickly. Then on from Salerno to Pompeii at 1212pm. As long as we get off the boat by at least 6am, we should be ok, correct?

Docked in Civatavecchia on the Epic last September at 6.00am. Straight off the ship at 6.01am which had moored up at 12 (Bis) N, and walked through the port and to the railway station. Arrived at 6.40am, had a quick bite to eat and onto the 7.02am train to Rome which was already in the station. There were no shuttle buses around at that time.

7am arriving in Rome at 818am. Then leaving rome at 849am to get to Salerno at 1118. Then we will have 6 minutes to get the train to Pompeii :eek: but we are traveling with 1 suitcase each and 1 backpack and both run 10k's so we are not worried about having to move quickly. Then on from Salerno to Pompeii at 1212pm. As long as we get off the boat by at least 6am, we should be ok, correct?

I'd ask on the forum for your cruise line for experiences of others regarding what time they were able to get off the ship at Civitavecchia. Definitely plan to do the walk off disembarkation with your stuff and be prepared to walk it if the shuttle is not up and running. (Find out exactly where you're docking and map your route to the station.)

Docked in Civatavecchia on the Epic last September at 6.00am. Straight off the ship at 6.01am which had moored up at 12 (Bis) N, and walked through the port and to the railway station. Arrived at 6.40am, had a quick bite to eat and onto the 7.02am train to Rome which was already in the station. There were no shuttle buses around at that time.

Does anyone know what time the shuttle bus from port entrance to train station starts in the morning? Somewhere I thought I saw 7:50 am was first shuttle bus, but I cannot find confirmation. Anyone know? Is the cost about 2 euro pp?