News Flash on Sun Princess Noro

That is just disgusting, fortunately we didn't see any refusals. They also had the normal entrance roped off.

The ship is trying to eliminate the chances of any spread of illness but there is no excusing the refusals by filthy grubs.

Maybe security could be there instead of the washy washies and refuse entry and have it on the terms and conditions - but that would be taking things to a police state for the sake of a few dirty types and impossible to police every venue 24/7. The ship can only do so much and the spread of these illnesses a lot of the time comes down to individuals.

No excusing uncleanliness.

The facial recognition software that most cruise lines use now would easily identify the person and then some action or reprimand can take place.

Cruise ships can provide all the sanitation devices they like BUT until passengers use them they will not be effective. I once saw a man have a stand up argument with a crew member in the buffet when she asked him to use sanitiser. He refused and said he was just walking through, she told him it was just procedure, he continued to argue his point and then pushed past her, as he was "just walking through" he took a biscuit from the tray, no tongs.

While we have these types of bogans we will have noro.

Agreed. Saw the same thing happen on Ovation last month too.

Doesn't matter what infrastructure or procedures are there, people do their own thing.

They can notify security afterward and they can track the person down.

And despatch them forthwith from the ship at the next port, like they do with serious laundry rage offenders, drunks, thugs and other problematic passengers.:cool:

It would be interesting to know if they are able to insist people use the sanitisers though and could refuse admittance to buffet/MDR etc if passengers don't use them. Might not be able to.

They don't want confrontation. Same with the wheel chair pax and zimmer frame pax who demand access to the tenders even though they are advised in advance they cannot do so. Some people push the boundaries, we have all seen it on the ships.

They don't want confrontation. Same with the wheel chair pax and zimmer frame pax who demand access to the tenders even though they are advised in advance they cannot do so. Some people push the boundaries, we have all seen it on the ships.

Considering how heavily the crew rely on tips and positive reviews, is it any wonder they won't confront passengers

Spot on.

How about a door that only opens when you pass your hands under the dispenser?

It has to handle too many people for that to work - even in the old style they run 2 dispensers each side and there's still a queue. If they made multiple washrooms and doors, sure, but then it starts to take up a lot of space.

Plus you'd still get people then going up the exit way, which is how those avoiding it on Ovation did so anyway. They could put one way barriers to exit... but then we've really got an overengineered solution!

But amember of the security team???

Same. The buffet is open about 15 hours a day i.e. 2 shifts. Times 2. That's 4 extra staff. They have other roles to deal with, from port support, to monitoring, plus generally being available for issues.

Not sure they'd want to hire more staff just so they can enforce people washing their hands.

Same. The buffet is open about 15 hours a day i.e. 2 shifts. Times 2. That's 4 extra staff. They have other roles to deal with, from port support, to monitoring, plus generally being available for issues.

Not sure they'd want to hire more staff just so they can enforce people washing their hands.

The normal staff and the security cameras would suffice to follow up on problem cruisers.

However, I still think they may be on shaky ground trying to insist on this before entry. For example, if someone has just washed their hands thoroughly in the toilets or cabin before going there, they may feel rightly they shouldn't have to use the sanitiser which does react with some people's skin. I use an organic one as the others just dry out my skin. Also if someone is simply walking through I can see them objecting to joining a queue to sanitise. The only way around is to somehow remove the ability to walk through to other places - and that's not going to happen

I really don't think they can make it a rule - unless they put it in the passenger code/T&Cs. They can suggest and ask but not sure they are able to insist.