Liberty Sighting - What have they done?

OMG I just looked up some pix of it on Google .. what a hideous mess .. looks cheap too .. like it could just fall right over the side in heavy seas ... and why orange and green??

Very Very ugly. :p

Exactly why I started this thread. They could have made it less ugly and the colour choices could have been better. :eek:

The picture I posted earlier doesn't show the entirety of the ugly mess.

Exactly why I started this thread. They could have made it less ugly and the colour choices could have been better. :eek:

The picture I posted earlier doesn't show the entirety of the ugly mess.

Times a changing. On my first cruise the Sovereign in the 80's there wasn't kid one on board, swear at 23 we were youngest on the ship. Ships then didn't have cabins with balconies, not even the Suites. Soda Pop was free with meals, and formal nite was every nite. Skeet shooting off back of ships, golf balls too. Now 30 yrs later Royal is more family friendly, Kids Program, Rock Walls, Ice Skating and Water Slides now included... At least a 7 nite cruise is cheaper now then it was in 1988. Today in 2017 can get a sea view balcony cabin on the Allure for cheaper then I paid for a tiny port hole deck 2 cabin on the Sovereign in 1988...

Love topics like this. So healing.

This is Cruise Critic. Why can I not criticize a change to a beloved ship that I do not like? I love Royal Caribbean, I like waterslides, but they did a terrible job with this "enhancement" to Liberty. It breaks my heart a little. :( They could have done a better job with the colours at least, in my opinion.

Times a changing. On my first cruise the Sovereign in the 80's there wasn't kid one on board, swear at 23 we were youngest on the ship. Ships then didn't have cabins with balconies, not even the Suites. Soda Pop was free with meals, and formal nite was every nite. Skeet shooting off back of ships, golf balls too. Now 30 yrs later Royal is more family friendly, Kids Program, Rock Walls, Ice Skating and Water Slides now included... At least a 7 nite cruise is cheaper now then it was in 1988. Today in 2017 can get a sea view balcony cabin on the Allure for cheaper then I paid for a tiny port hole deck 2 cabin on the Sovereign in 1988...

Maybe orange and green were on sale at the local water slide supply store. 😏

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

They're not bothering me, and perhaps keep people out of the pool so I can use it! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is exactly why I don't understand people being upset about them. I'm sailing Liberty in May and I'm personally happy to be able to use them. Gives me yet another option to cool off beyond sitting in the pool and trying to ride the Flowrider.

But to those who don't like it, it's at the back of the ship where there's also a basketball court and rock wall. It was already chaos from the back of the stacks to the very aft so if you don't like slides you probably weren't walking back there anyway.

As far as aesthetics I guess I get that but the cruise lines are trying to appeal to as many different people as possible and you spend more time on the ship than off so you don't really see the full appearance of the ship most of the time anyway. I personally think Royal does a good job trying to cater to various ages and travel styles. The average passenger age was creeping up so they've added some fun for younger folks. What's wrong with that? You have to continue to try to build a brand that creates the next generation of Royal loyals.

😱 but they used orange and green 😏

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

The colours are actually yellow, blue, green and purple. If you look at photos of Harmony from a distance, it actually works well. The slides are more integrated into the ship and balanced well, they don't look like an ugly after thought add on. I am not opposed to waterslides. I just thought they did a bad job adding them to Liberty. :D

This is Cruise Critic. Why can I not criticize a change to a beloved ship that I do not like? I love Royal Caribbean, I like waterslides, but they did a terrible job with this "enhancement" to Liberty. It breaks my heart a little. :( They could have done a better job with the colours at least, in my opinion.

All of the ships with slides so far have bright colors. At least Harmony and Adventure do.

The colours are actually yellow, blue, green and purple. If you look at photos of Harmony from a distance, it actually works well. The slides are more integrated into the ship and balanced well, they don't look like an ugly after thought add on. I am not opposed to waterslides. I just thought they did a bad job adding them to Liberty. :D

So, I bet you like this photo. Pristine Freedom docked next to Liberty in Cozumel. I tell you, a lot of folks enjoy the slides and it helps keep the kiddos rounded up.

8cce1fe8c31a517bf8f995531ca308b0.jpg

Adding water slides no more turns a Royal Caribbean ship into Carnival than planting live lawn would turn it into Celebrity.

Really? :confused: Interesting comparison indeed, however, you cannot see the lawn unless you are on the Celebrity ship itself. You can certainly see the badly designed waterslide mess on Liberty from a mile away. And yes the waterslide mess on Liberty is exactly how I see some Carnival ships. Again I will say that I am not against waterslides on a Ship but how they were built was poorly designed and reminds me of a Carnival ship.

Do we not agree that Royal Caribbean Ships are well designed and extremely beautiful to look at? This has always been my opinion of Royal Caribbean. Consistently beautiful stunning ships. Harmony is beautiful too, waterslides well integrated. However somebody screwed up with Liberty. It's messy.

So, I bet you like this photo. Pristine Freedom docked next to Liberty in Cozumel. I tell you, a lot of folks enjoy the slides and it helps keep the kiddos rounded up.

8cce1fe8c31a517bf8f995531ca308b0.jpg

I do like this photo even though I cringe at those slides. :D Freedom is a very special ship to me as it was my very first ship to cruise on back in 2008 and started my cruise addiction. Royal Caribbean has always been a standout to me with ship design and beauty. It just irks me that those slides are taking away the beauty of Liberty. It could have been done better. Harmony was well done and the slides work with the design.

I normally like to keep my posts on positive subjects as people are very protective of their favourite cruise brands. However, with respect, this is why I posted a criticism, as I feel my favourite brand has been tainted by bad design and colour choices that don't fit with Liberty's original design and beauty.

Cheers!

Really? :confused: Interesting comparison indeed, however, you cannot see the lawn unless you are on the Celebrity ship itself. You can certainly see the badly designed waterslide mess on Liberty from a mile away. And yes the waterslide mess on Liberty is exactly how I see some Carnival ships. Again I will say that I am not against waterslides on a Ship but how they were built was poorly designed and reminds me of a Carnival ship.

Do we not agree that Royal Caribbean Ships are well designed and extremely beautiful to look at? This has always been my opinion of Royal Caribbean. Consistently beautiful stunning ships. Harmony is beautiful too, waterslides well integrated. However somebody screwed up with Liberty. It's messy.

You know, you might consider changing your screen name to Don Quixote. ;)

dq.jpg

LB-perfect-storm.jpg

I do like this photo even though I cringe at those slides. :D Freedom is a very special ship to me as it was my very first ship to cruise on back in 2008 and started my cruise addiction. Royal Caribbean has always been a standout to me with ship design and beauty. It just irks me that those slides are taking away the beauty of Liberty. It could have been done better. Harmony was well done and the slides work with the design.

I normally like to keep my posts on positive subjects as people are very protective of their favourite cruise brands. However, with respect, this is why I posted a criticism, as I feel my favourite brand has been tainted by bad design and colour choices that don't fit with Liberty's original design and beauty.

Cheers!

I don't understand why you keep justifying your post. It's how you feel. I feel the functionality, use, and enjoyment outweigh the aesthetics of it. The vivid blue and mustard yellow on Adventure and Harmony are BRIGHT, too.

Last week I was docked on another ship in Cozumel near Liberty of the Seas. What have they done?! It had these horrible giant Carnival style water slides on the highest level at the aft of the ship. Horrible thing to do to such a beautiful ship. It looks like a floating amusement park now. So sad. I saw Freedom of the Seas a few days later. It did not have this modification. I guess the young and the young at heart will enjoy the slides, but to me it looks like a horrible mess on top of such a beautiful ship.

We were docked next to Liberty; cruised on Indy.

Slides are just 'training wheels' for adrenaline junkies.

We want Royal to replace tenders with ziplines!

Save a few bucks on Belize Tender contracts....give us

a 3 mile zipline....charge a fee..plus gratuities.

:cool:

Cheers!

Just curious if you have an opinion on the added deck 12 cabins on both Freedom and Liberty? Many find those destroyed the lines of the ship as well.

We were docked next to Liberty; cruised on Indy.

Slides are just 'training wheels' for adrenaline junkies.

We want Royal to replace tenders with ziplines!

Save a few bucks on Belize Tender contracts....give us

a 3 mile zipline....charge a fee..plus gratuities.

:cool:

Grand Cayman, not Belize.

tower-2-1.jpg

image_674057-2-1.jpg

image_674058-2-1.jpg

image_674056-2-1.jpg

I don't understand why you keep justifying your post. It's how you feel. I feel the functionality, use, and enjoyment outweigh the aesthetics of it. The vivid blue and mustard yellow on Adventure and Harmony are BRIGHT, too.

As I am the original poster of this thread, when somebody responds with an opinion or thought, I feel free to justify or continue the conversation or restate my case. Isn't that the purpose of this site? Considering your post count on this thread I wonder why you would even ask me this to be honest. I thought we were having a great discussion. :confused:

I learned that Harmony was Green and Yellow, not Green and Orange. :cool:

Just curious if you have an opinion on the added deck 12 cabins on both Freedom and Liberty? Many find those destroyed the lines of the ship as well.

Yes I do. Yes I've seen the deck 12 additions on those ships. I was on Navigator last year and it has the additional cabin floor as well. I actually think they did a good job with the addition and I think the lines of the ship still look good. Although I don't like that they added more rooms to the ship. They also removed the discos in favour of more rooms as you probably already know. But with honesty I understand why they did it. The company spends a lot of money on their ships and they need to keep the income flowing.

Cheers! :D