Was it a mistake booking Panama Canal as my first Princess Cruise?

WYTinman

To the OP, no cruise is ever a mistake. If you have the money and time for a cruise vacation, it is the best way to vacation. You seem seasoned on other lines, so you already know most of the good vs. the bad about cruises.

I have not found that individual passengers flaunt their Captain's Circle status. I admit to seeing some of that on the boards, but on an actual cruise, there seems to be very little of that going on.

However, the perks associated with being a returning cruiser with Princess, especially at the Platinum and Elite levels are very nice. A good reason to do a fair amount of return cruising with Princess.

Here is my perspective on some of the items you have brought up. With regard to boarding, there will be lines. Unless you book a full suite, or are Elite, you won't have preferred boarding status. You will find yourself on board at some point during the day and the good news is that on Princess your cabin will be ready to occupy the moment you step on board the ship. The earlier you show up a the port, the earlier you will get on board and the fewer people you will be milling with while in the port terminal. The staff running the check-in process in the terminal have always been pleasant, friendly, and accommodating. Just because you had to stand in line, you will find many smiling faces as you go about checking in and boarding.

My wife and I intentionally get to the port as early as reasonable on embarkation day so that we do get on board around the lunch hour. Just like you, we don't like the buffet, mostly because we consider it a Noro distribution system, and opt for lunch in the MDR. Whatever you do, don't ask the staff about lunch in the MDR because they will always feign ignorance and tell you where the buffet is. This is reasonable on their part because the staffing for lunch in the MDR on embarkation day is pretty limited; they just can't accommodate thousands of passengers in the MDR that day. Go looking for the open MDR on your own. On some occasions there will be no MDR open for lunch on embarkation day. Then opt to eat at the International Cafe. Food from the IC is plated and handed to you; as buffet food should be, but isn't; and you can sit someplace in the Piazza and enjoy your meal while people watching. You could even take your IC selections back to your room and dine there if you so choose.

The Sanctuary is nice, and sure, you do want to get up to it pretty soon to get your reservation, but again, the sooner you can get to the port and checked in the sooner you will be on board and the sooner you can get to The Sanctuary. IMHO, the Sanctuary is nice for a sea day or two, but camping out there for an entire cruise isn't my style. Remember, the port arrival times are a suggestion. If you are at the port at 10 or 11 in the morning and your suggested time is 2pm, don't worry, they won't hold you back from boarding once the ship is cleared for boarding.

Full suite passengers and Elite members do have some priority in booking dining reservations, and I know that full suite passengers that opt for traditional dining can acquire just about any seating they want, not sure about Elite, but again, most dining reservations are first come first served. I opt for Anytime dining and my DW and I tend to eat a little later, so we don't find lines at ATD very often and we don't try to reserve a table for ATD. Reservations are generally first come first served for specialty restaurants. Suite passengers are comped a meal in a specialty restaurant on embarkation night, reservations are helpful, but again, you can roll the dice and hope for the best. I have never been hung up on when calling the dine line. If you are not booked in a suite, I'd opt to visit a specialty restaurant on a formal night if you wish not to participate or on another night.

There is no priority for ATD, unless you are in a Club Class mini or a full suite, then there is the Club Class section of the dining room. But other than that, anyone that doesn't have assigned TD is going to be waiting in line at ATD. Of course, you don't have to eat when everyone else does, as per my experience above.

Passenger services desk can get busy, and Suite and Elite passengers have a separate queue for service at that desk, however, I rarely ever need to visit passenger services. There are lots of other ways to check your folio throughout your trip without having to stand in line and getting a print out.

If you have a cruise line booked shore excursion in a tender port, you will get tender embarkation tickets with your shore excursion tickets. If you are in a full suite or elite you get those tickets even if you have not booked a shore excursion in a tender port from Princess. This may be a good reason to book a shore excursion from the cruise line in a tender port. However, tender operations are fairly smooth but if you don't have tender tickets you will end up in a queue that is generally managed out of one of the dining rooms on board. Status holders don't just get to cut in line and again, if you do have to queue for a tender, it is first come first served.

Our first cruise with Princess was to Alaska and even though we had a blue card, we were treated so well and had such a good time on board that we keep returning for more cruises. It take some time to accrue "status" with the Captain's Circle, but the goal of the cruise line is to make people happy and keep them loyal. That blue card you will carry for this one cruise is the staff's signal to treat you as well as they can, because blue cards are first timers and first impressions mean everything in the service industry.

Whatever you do, don't ask the staff about lunch in the MDR because they will always feign ignorance and tell you where the buffet is.

They may not be feigning ignorance.

We met an experienced Cruise Director in the middle of one Princess cruise and he was surprised when he learned from us that the MDR was open on embarkation day. He truly had never known this, even though he was responsible for putting out the embarkation day Patter which lists this information on the back page.

My very first cruise was the partial transit on the Coral Princess. We had Anytime Dining, met up with people with whom we dined every night, and had a wonderful cruise. Didn't matter at all that we were first-time cruisers. She's a lovely ship and there were no problems. Enjoy!

In the past 3 years I have traveled solo on Princess 6 times. The canal cruise was my second cruise. I was not impressed by the ports like Aruba because I kept getting confronted by people trying to sell me trinkets. So, by the time we got to the canal I did not do an excursion because I was tired of the hassle. What a mistake. I should have passed up the other ports and taken the canal excursions. I will be going back soon just to see the canal. I very rarely see anyone flaunting their status. Some people wear their key cards around their next for connivence. I am now elite and the main perks for me is easy boarding and internet minutes. On the luxury lines like Cunard you may see more elitism, but not Princess.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Since retirement, my DW and I have only been doing cruises of 10 or more days. When walking through the cabin decks, the rooms are primarily labeled with blue and gold name tags. Even though there are plenty of platinum and elite cruisers on board, they don't tend to make up the majority of the ship. Far from it actually.

Our last cruise was a Baltic cruise. We went with two family members who were on their first Princess cruise. When checking in my wife and I received priority boarding as platinum members. However, we wanted to board the ship with our family. We waited all of one minute for them to catch up to us. We had to laugh because there wasn't really any benefit, on that cruise at least, to priority boarding.

intriguedkp & Kamloops50

Thank you for taking the time to answer some of my questions.

To the others.

This was not intended to project a negative attitude.

Simply questioning information that I've read here on the Princess Boards.

We haven't looked into it that far for our first Princess cruise in Nov to Hawaii. But Jill had me book the GS on the Star Princess when our cruise date was changed due to a dry docking. So we should get priority.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've been reading everything I can find to learn the ins and outs of a Princess Cruise.

I've also seen the first episode of "The Cruise".

These are the takeaways from my research.

Panama Canal cruises usually have a high ratio of frequent Princess cruisers. Thus a high number of Platinum/Elite passengers.

Princess gives priority to these customers in almost every area where there is a possibility for a queue.

Boarding

Sanctuary (result of priority boarding

Dining reservations (ATD and Speciaity)

Customer Service Desk

Tendering

Add to that there is priority given to people booked in Suites and Club Class Mini Suites.

All these priority/status passengers are allowed to jump or join an existing queue whenever they like.

As a first time cruiser I will be easily identified by staff and other passengers by my blue room key.

Was it a mistake to book Panama Canal as my first Princess Cruise?

It appears that I will be the last asked to board. Behind everyone with Status.

Missing lunch in the MDR.

Likely miss out on Sanctuary reservation.

I will be the last on any Tender to port.

When calling the DINE line I have a high probability of being put on hold, hung up on, or being told no reservations are available.

I am not a fan of cruise ship buffets. (Pick your own reason, they all apply here)

I like to eat when I'm hungry not when I'm assigned.

With everyone else having priority at ATD. It looks like if I want to eat at all, I have to be wait-listed in Traditional Dining.

Do Princess passengers actually go out of their way to flout their Status (Black Cards) as depicted on "The Cruise"?

Do I have to book a Suite just to be on equal standing with the rest of the passengers?

Or will I still be by-passed by all the Platinum/Elites/Ruby/Golds and end up at the back of the bus?

I'm looking forward to my First Princess Cruise.

Should I have waited. a few years for Panama Canal, at least until I have the Status to be "on par" with everyone else?

Fear Ye not ! You will not be q jumped, starved, consigned to the slave jail, or anything like that . The only real advantage of elite etc is free laundry and mini bar imho. Nobody would flaunt a black card, the priority boarding and disembarkation is ignored when there are lots of elites . I'm sure you will be welcomed at all levels . Enjoy the cruise, you will love it I'm sure !!

When walking through the cabin decks, the rooms are primarily labeled with blue and gold name tags. Even though there are plenty of platinum and elite cruisers on board, they don't tend to make up the majority of the ship. Far from it actually.

Much depends on the itinerary. I have been on several Princess cruises where 2/3rds of the passengers were platinum or elite.

We've been on plenty of cruises where most people are proudly displaying blue cards. We have never owned lanyards so no one knows what colour card we have and we haven't come across too many people who want to flaunt the colour of their seapass. Those that do obviously need to show off somehow, but they are in the minority.

Fear Ye not ! You will not be q jumped, starved, consigned to the slave jail, or anything like that . The only real advantage of elite etc is free laundry and mini bar imho. Nobody would flaunt a black card, the priority boarding and disembarkation is ignored when there are lots of elites . I'm sure you will be welcomed at all levels . Enjoy the cruise, you will love it I'm sure !!

I beg to differ I have seen several, although not many, incidents of black cards being flouted. The ones that come to mind was the lady waving her black card and trying to push her way to the front of the queue waiting to board the elevator and a gentleman not dressed for formal night sneering and waving his black card when all I was trying to do was greet him. Guess he may have thought he was too good to talk to us non-elite peasants or it was his free pass not to dress formally, or both .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You'll find that most passengers regardless of level are a pretty friendly bunch. Love of cruising is a common bond. Yes some suite passengers can be pushy and crabby.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Last year on the Golden, we noticed a lady who seemed always pushy and abrasive in the public areas of the ship, especially in the dining areas. Near the end of the cruise we found out from our steward that she was in an interior cabin not far from us and that it was only her second ever cruise.:)

Free laundry may be ok for casual clothes....but I would be wary of expensive items, since all machine wash laundry is handled alike. My pink Hanes t-shirt was tied-died with blue that I hoped would wash out. No big deal there, but I do use the pay laundry when I care about what I need to launder.

FOr things I care about, I choose the "clean" option rather than the "wash" one. (Or whatever they're called. RIght column instead of left, I believe.) I've never had a problem, but maybe I don't get as much laundered as some and my time is running out. And, you know, pink cotton is probably more likely to bleed onto other people's stuff than something blue is.

Favorite cruise. Enjoy. Good to do research to figure out how this cruising thing works, but good attitude, going with the flow, and being treated like a princess (or prince) will make it a wonderful experience. Worst part is when it's over and you have to return to reality.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
I've been reading everything I can find to learn the ins and outs of a Princess Cruise.

I've also seen the first episode of "The Cruise".

These are the takeaways from my research.

Panama Canal cruises usually have a high ratio of frequent Princess cruisers. Thus a high number of Platinum/Elite passengers.

Princess gives priority to these customers in almost every area where there is a possibility for a queue.

Boarding

Sanctuary (result of priority boarding

Dining reservations (ATD and Speciaity)

Customer Service Desk

Tendering

Add to that there is priority given to people booked in Suites and Club Class Mini Suites.

All these priority/status passengers are allowed to jump or join an existing queue whenever they like.

As a first time cruiser I will be easily identified by staff and other passengers by my blue room key.

Was it a mistake to book Panama Canal as my first Princess Cruise?

It appears that I will be the last asked to board. Behind everyone with Status.

Missing lunch in the MDR.

Likely miss out on Sanctuary reservation.

I will be the last on any Tender to port.

When calling the DINE line I have a high probability of being put on hold, hung up on, or being told no reservations are available.

I am not a fan of cruise ship buffets. (Pick your own reason, they all apply here)

I like to eat when I'm hungry not when I'm assigned.

With everyone else having priority at ATD. It looks like if I want to eat at all, I have to be wait-listed in Traditional Dining.

Do Princess passengers actually go out of their way to flout their Status (Black Cards) as depicted on "The Cruise"?

Do I have to book a Suite just to be on equal standing with the rest of the passengers?

Or will I still be by-passed by all the Platinum/Elites/Ruby/Golds and end up at the back of the bus?

I'm looking forward to my First Princess Cruise.

Should I have waited a few years for Panama Canal, at least until I have the Status to be "on par" with everyone else?

Just over thinking it. I'm about to go on my 5th Princess Cruise and I've never felt like I was a low priority. Yes, there is early embarkation for higher card cruisers, yes tender access can be added, yes disembarkation can get a priority, and yes there is a captain's circle meet but besides that no special treatment that I've noticed. If you have an early flight when leaving they will help you out with leaving. If you have mobility issues they will get you help on the tender. Even boarding we are only talking about a having a little roped off section just for them with snacks. Once I'm on the board I don't really notice anything. If anything, traditional dinning will give slightly better attention if you buy wine or speciality drinks at the table but that's a given since they get tips off it. My first Princess Cruise was a 14 day hawaii and loved every second of it. Princess is a great cruise line. Don't let the status thing get you down. Given them a chance and you will like it. The only nit pick I have with Princess is it is slightly geared to an older crowd (no offense to anyone). Not a problem at all. You just see a little more gray in the crowd. I've been on both sides of the spectrum and of course it varies by where you are going and when. If anything it just makes the cruise a tiny bit less crazy and loud but you can still have the same enjoyment from it. The only thing I think might be a concern for you is sea days. Some people love them and others hate them. Personally, I like equal parts sea and port days. Some people just get stir crazy by not being at port and get bored easily. There is always something to do from movies, learning to cook, shopping, gambling, people watching, hit up the pool, or even grab a mixed drink.

Kadrik0 said that her (his?) only nitpick with Princess is that it's a bit older crowd. That's my reason for preferring them!

My kid are grown, 25 and 37, and I don't have any grand kids. I've done the traveling with kids stuff, and now I choose not to.

I don't miss little kids grabbing food from the buffet and then putting it back! I don't miss kids running and yelling and jumping in the pools!

I can enjoy things a bit more quietly now! And if the other passengers are a bit older, it just makes it easier to slip past them and enjoy what I like. My wife and I find Princess to be the perfect cruises for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk