Was it a mistake booking Panama Canal as my first Princess Cruise?

WYTinman

Exactly right. Go looking for a great cruise. Too many folks only post negatives. If I run into a negative I do some thing else. It's a vacation!

Just go have fun. Once you close your cabin door just join in and have fun.

Just my two cents

IMHO, you are blowing what you have seen all out of proportion. You will be fine. You will not be treated like a peon. Our second princess cruise was the one you are taking. It was amazing. Best cruise to date. Be sure to attend all the enrichment lecturers. It will really enhance your experience. Bob Voyage.

Our first cruise ever was a 11 night Panama Canal cruise last year on the Coral. We experienced no problems whatsoever, were treated well by staff and other passengers. We were blue card holders too. Everyone has to start somewhere.

We enjoyed ourselves so much we booked a 15 night Princess Hawaii cruise for our 40th anniversary, coming up in a few months. Can't wait.

Enjoy your trip!

IMHO, you are blowing what you have seen all out of proportion. You will be fine. You will not be treated like a peon. Our second princess cruise was the one you are taking. It was amazing. Best cruise to date. Be sure to attend all the enrichment lecturers. It will really enhance your experience. Bob Voyage.

I agree. Not sure where the OP came up with this blue card/black card nonsense.

Wow. You really should relax. On a full transit there is generally one, count it, one tender port. If you're really stressed about missing 45 minutes in Nicaragua, you get down to tender ticket distribution early, you get off the ship early. Easy peasy.

It sounds to me like a number of your worries have to do with a perceived lack of status, rather than genuine problems. (Most people don't make it to the MDR for embarkation luncheon, yet somehow survive the trauma. You call the DINE line early enough in the morning, you get an ATD reservation; I've never heard of reservation requests being prioritized by status, and in fact they ask your cabin number after you get your reservation. Or else you stand in line a few minutes. Elite pax being able to jump any queue anywhere? I wish….)

And what other cruises would you take in preference to the Canal cruise? Elites will have the same privileges wherever, there just may not be so many of us. Or there might. But hey, you can do 75 two-day coastals, and then sail the Canal with your black card.

I love the Canal transit. Enjoy your cruse!

Edited by shepp

My husband and I just did the Panama Canal on the Island, round trip out of LA. We are not Elite or Platnum and we had none of the issues you are concerned about. It was an amazing trip and we most likely will do another Panama Canal cruise with Princess in the future. Hope you have a wonderful trip!

I've been reading everything I can find to learn the ins and outs of a Princess Cruise.

Panama Canal cruises usually have a high ratio of frequent Princess cruisers. Thus a high number of Platinum/Elite passengers.

Princess gives priority to these customers in almost every area where there is a possibility for a queue.

Boarding
-- Boarding priority is only when boarding first starts, usually around noon. Those without priority boarding start soon after that based basically on when they arrived to check-in.

Sanctuary (result of priority boarding

Dining reservations (ATD and Speciaity)
-- since you say you want to eat when you are hungry, I assume you would not even try to get ATD reservations as you would not know that far in advance when you would be hungry. Anyway, platinium/elite passengers have no priority for dining reservations in either ATD or specialty restaurants, only full suite passengers do. You should have no probably making specialty restaurant reservations once you have boarded the ship.

Customer Service Desk
--- Yes, there is a separate line for elite and suite passengers, but usually the line for those not elite or in suites will move relatively quickly as there is just one person helping all those in the special line, but there are multiple people available for the regular line.

Tendering
-- Most ports on a Panama Canal itinerary are not tender ports.

Add to that there is priority given to people booked in Suites and Club Class Mini Suites. -- The only priority these passengers have were covered above. There is no additional priority.

All these priority/status passengers are allowed to jump or join an existing queue whenever they like. -- They are not allowed to jump any queue at all. Elite and suite passengers can join the end of a tender boarding (ship-to-shore, not the other direction) line. And if there is a high number of elites on board, they will also have to get tender tickets and their tender may load before non-status passengers not on a Princess tour can load.

As a first time cruiser I will be easily identified by staff and other passengers by my blue room key. -- In general, only if you wear it around your next. Of course also when you present it to purchase something or have it in your hand to enter your cabin.

Was it a mistake to book Panama Canal as my first Princess Cruise? NO

It appears that I will be the last asked to board. Behind everyone with Status. -- If boarding starts on time and if you have already been checked in by that time, you will board in time for lunch in the MDR. (And pay no attention to any notice you get about boarding times by deck. Those are only suggestions to try to even out the check-in lines.)

Missing lunch in the MDR.
-- Not true if you are check in by noon.

Likely miss out on Sanctuary reservation.
-- Hard to predict. Head there first before going to the MDR.

I will be the last on any Tender to port. -- True only if you do not go get your tender tickets around the time they start to be handed out.

When calling the DINE line I have a high probability of being put on hold, hung up on, or being told no reservations are available. -- Believe me, that can happen no matter what your status is.

I am not a fan of cruise ship buffets. (Pick your own reason, they all apply here)

I like to eat when I'm hungry not when I'm assigned.

With everyone else having priority at ATD. It looks like if I want to eat at all, I have to be wait-listed in Traditional Dining. -- Only full suite passengers have priority for reservations in ATD and many of them will either eat in the Club Class section reserved for them or will be in traditional dining.

Do Princess passengers actually go out of their way to flout their Status (Black Cards) as depicted on "The Cruise"? -- Have not seen the show, but there are always a few people who like to flout their status. 99% of elite passengers will not do this.

Do I have to book a Suite just to be on equal standing with the rest of the passengers?

Or will I still be by-passed by all the Platinum/Elites/Ruby/Golds and end up at the back of the bus?

I'm looking forward to my First Princess Cruise.

Should I have waited a few years for Panama Canal, at least until I have the Status to be "on par" with everyone else?

see above in red

Edited by caribill

Hi, you will have a wonderful time, our first cruise was November 2002 on the Dawn Princess a full transit of the Panama canal from San Diego to Ft Lauderdale We had a great time and fifteen years later still cruising with Princess. You will find out things as you go along don't worry about anything just enjoy.

We just got off the Zuiderdam from our Panama Canal cruise. We're on a similar boat with HAL as the OP is with Princess. But we did not miss much by not having 4 or 5 star Mariner status. We had to wait about 30 minutes after they began boarding because they let the suite passengers and 4 and 5 star Mariners board first. We still made it to lunch in the dining room. Anyone who gets to the port by 11 should usually make it on board in time for lunch in the dining room.

We were on the first tender to the private island. It wasn't planned, but we were ready to go and were able to make it. Many of the older passengers on these longer cruises don't like tendering, so they stay on board the ship.

When we saw the Coral Princess ahead of us in the locks at the Panama Canal, I wished in a way that we were on that ship so that we would have some of our Elite benefits that we don't have on HAL. But we'll eventually make it to the next level on HAL, hopefully, and then the next one as well. (I don't think we'll ever make it to 5 star status, though.)

You are worrying too much about this status thing. We are Platinum, but really the advantages aren't that great or that prevalent. I admit we don't do the Sanctuary or specialty dining, so I don't know how hard those are to reserve. About the only perks we get that mean much to us are free internet minutes. It's nice to have (usually) a shorter line to get into the terminal and to get on a little earlier, but 'regular' people aren't that far behind.

We always to Anytime dining, hardly ever reserve ahead of time and rarely have a wait, even for a table for two. However, we prefer not to dine at the early times, usually go around 8 or later, depending on when we go to the evening shows.

I don't believe I have ever once, even when we weren't Platinum, been inconvenienced by higher status passengers, or noticed anyone 'flashing' their cards around.

Now, this will be an older crowd for sure, if that is an issue. Most ports don't tender anyway, but those that do we've always been able to get off in a timely manner. We almost never take cruise line tours.

I've been reading everything I can find to learn the ins and outs of a Princess Cruise.

I've also seen the first episode of "The Cruise".

These are the takeaways from my research.

Panama Canal cruises usually have a high ratio of frequent Princess cruisers. Thus a high number of Platinum/Elite passengers.

Princess gives priority to these customers in almost every area where there is a possibility for a queue.

Boarding

Customer Service Desk

Tendering

Add to that there is priority given to people booked in Suites and Club Class Mini Suites.

All these priority/status passengers are allowed to jump or join an existing queue whenever they like.

As a first time cruiser I will be easily identified by staff and other passengers by my blue room key.

Was it a mistake to book Panama Canal as my first Princess Cruise?

It appears that I will be the last asked to board. Behind everyone with Status.

I will be the last on any Tender to port.

When calling the DINE line I have a high probability of being put on hold, hung up on, or being told no reservations are available.

I am not a fan of cruise ship buffets. (Pick your own reason, they all apply here)

With everyone else having priority at ATD. It looks like if I want to eat at all, I have to be wait-listed in Traditional Dining.

Do Princess passengers actually go out of their way to flout their Status (Black Cards) as depicted on "The Cruise"?

Do I have to book a Suite just to be on equal standing with the rest of the passengers?

Or will I still be by-passed by all the Platinum/Elites/Ruby/Golds and end up at the back of the bus?

Should I have waited a few years for Panama Canal, at least until I have the Status to be "on par" with everyone else?

You will probably have a fine time on Princess. But, given your stated preferences, you may want to consider Oceania in the future (far less "class system" and far better food- e.g., Terrace Grill may change your mind about "buffet food" when you experience cooking "a la minute" including lamb chops for breakfast and daily lobster tails)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife and I did a Princess Panama Canal 17 Miami to LA. We were at the Ruby level, and were shocked to find that we normally seemed to be the least frequent cruisers in every group. We were inspired by tales we heard from others. But we NEVER saw that we got anything but exceptional service.

It is my favorite cruise, and I fully plan on doing it again. We traveled during the final weeks before the new locks were opened, and I really want to go back now that the work is concluded.

There were fantastic ports, I loved every one. But I also greatly enjoyed the lazy days on the ship. There were lectures on the canal by an elderly professor who knew and loved the subject. And all sorts of other things to do, or nothing at all.

You will LOVE this cruise, I predict. Stop worrying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My husband and I just did the Panama Canal on the Island, round trip out of LA. We are not Elite or Platnum and we had none of the issues you are concerned about. It was an amazing trip and we most likely will do another Panama Canal cruise with Princess in the future. Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Now that is the Panama Canal cruise I want to book, but DH didn't want to do another 15 day cruise so close to the last one. so we booked a 10 day our of FLL on Caribbean Princess. It's not until next year, but I'm already looking forward to it!!

To the OP, I think you will be fine. I've never seen people flaunt their status, and Suites don't even get a special card, so we don't even know who they are unless we know them :) If you get to the port early, you will be able to board early, after Suites, Elites and Platinum. I think it will be a great cruise for you! Have fun!

I've also seen the first episode of "The Cruise".

These are the takeaways from my research.

Boarding

Customer Service Desk

Tendering

Add to that there is priority given to people booked in Suites and Club Class Mini Suites.

All these priority/status passengers are allowed to jump or join an existing queue whenever they like.

As a first time cruiser I will be easily identified by staff and other passengers by my blue room key.

Was it a mistake to book Panama Canal as my first Princess Cruise?

It appears that I will be the last asked to board. Behind everyone with Status.

I will be the last on any Tender to port.

When calling the DINE line I have a high probability of being put on hold, hung up on, or being told no reservations are available.

With everyone else having priority at ATD. It looks like if I want to eat at all, I have to be wait-listed in Traditional Dining.

Do Princess passengers actually go out of their way to flout their Status (Black Cards) as depicted on "The Cruise"?

Oh wow! I don't know where you got all those negative impressions about cruising, and about what people are like on a Princess cruise.in 2004 I went on my first ever cruise, on the Coral Princess, to the Panama Canal. It was 10 days of wonderful experiences in a whole new world for me. I never once felt like I was any less important than anyone else on the ship.

in the intervening years I have done many Princess cruises, and havd never felt like I was less or more important than any of my fellow cruisers. Yes, I made it to Elite status a few years ago, and yes, it gives me some perks, but I feel I have prepaid for that privilege with the many thousands of dollars I have paid for all my cruises.

It's rare to encounter anyone who is Elite who acts like they are a big deal because of it.

I hope you do that cruise and have a wonderful time, and meet lots of very nice fellow cruisers, like I have.

and, BTW, no matter what category of cabin you book, when you walk out of it, you are on thd same level and receive thd same great setvice as anyone else on the ship..

We have always received the same high level of service on Princess whether we were new to the line or not. Show up to board early and you will be at lunch before noon. The Panama Canal cruises are lengthy and therefore are attractive to older guests. We did not need to use tenders during our partial transit cruise. We all had the blue card at one time. I have never seen anyone make a big deal about their cruise status. Staff, from what I have seen, treat everyone impeccably regardless of their card color. Have a great cruise, you will love it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh, but we are. Two words: "free laundry."

Free laundry may be ok for casual clothes....but I would be wary of expensive items, since all machine wash laundry is handled alike. My pink Hanes t-shirt was tied-died with blue that I hoped would wash out. No big deal there, but I do use the pay laundry when I care about what I need to launder.

Free laundry may be ok for casual clothes....but I would be wary of expensive items, since all machine wash laundry is handled alike. My pink Hanes t-shirt was tied-died with blue that I hoped would wash out. No big deal there, but I do use the pay laundry when I care about what I need to launder.

The "free laundry" and "pay laundry" are the same on Princess ships. The only difference is that Elite members get their charges credited back against their account.

I've seen the entire "The Cruise" series on ITV and would encourage you to take it with a grain of salt.

We've cruised the Panama Canal 3 times on the Coral Princess and you will enjoy a very good time. Choice of cabin is not as important as you might think as the best viewing on canal day is done by moving around from the front to the back viewing decks which are made accessible to all.

As for the Elites, don't worry about being overrun as the percentage on that cruise is much lower than say the TransAtlantic cruises. I can prove this as my wife and I as Elites with like 200 days total have only made the special luncheon for "most travelled" while on these 3 cruises.