temps in Sydney, will it cool off a bit by March??

Hi all

Last thread I start, promise:)

Have been reading with dread all the reports of very high temp in Sydney, along the coast, etc. I look online and reports say all is well; I read posts that say it is really hot.

So, can anyone pass along what the local weather folks are saying? I have tried the internet, and I don't get longer term forecasts.

We will arrive on Mar 8 and I am hoping temps will moderate a bit--am I kidding myself? What do local stations/farmers/etc say???

Thanks again for your advice

ML

Hi all

Have been reading with dread all the reports of very high temp in Sydney, along the coast, etc. I look online and reports say all is well; I read posts that say it is really hot.

So, can anyone pass along what the local weather folks are saying? I have tried the internet, and I don't get longer term forecasts.

We will arrive on Mar 8 and I am hoping temps will moderate a bit--am I kidding myself? What do local stations/farmers/etc say???

ML

Start as many as you need.

Looking at the current forecasts and factoring in what I know of Sydney I'd say 25-30 for top temp around then, drop a few degrees off by the time your April stint rolls around.

Start as many as you need.

Looking at the current forecasts and factoring in what I know of Sydney I'd say 25-30 for top temp around then, drop a few degrees off by the time your April stint rolls around.

Overnight lows maybe 17-22.

Thanks Gut, knew i could count on you!!

Actually seems tolerable. Might depend on humidity but not terrible.

thanks

ML

March 8-10, lows of 14-19 and highs of 22-28 (60-65 & 70-80 Fahrenheit).

April 25, lows of 10-16 and highs of 18-24 (50-60 & 65-75 Fahrenheit).

It is generally warm days, but cooler in the evenings so bring a light jacket.

Edited by MicCanberra

Thanks Gut, knew i could count on you!!

Actually seems tolerable. Might depend on humidity but not terrible.

thanks

ML

Normally my favourite time of year.

But no one can guarantee it won't be way hotter or colder.

Hi Mic

very helpful, I have bookmarked this. I don't know how they do it but they predict rain and warm temps. Excellent resource, thanks.

ML

A much more accurate site is http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/?ref=hdr

however, they really only do 7 days forecasts.

Or even, http://www.weatherzone.com.au/nsw/sydney/sydney

Hi all

ML

I'm in Brisbane, but I spent most of my life in Sydney, so I think it's fair to comment on Sydney weather.

Even though it is officially the start of autumn, March is basically the last month of summer. So anything can happen.

The most likely scenario is that temperatures will be pleasant. However, there is a chance of a hot spell just like the one we went through last week. So be expecting pleasant, but be prepared for hot.

Traditionally, the cooler weather starts around Easter. When I was a kid, camping at Easter always seemed to end up rainy, cold and miserable.

By the way, there is no such thing a reliable long range weather forecast. About a week is the best they can do. Other than that, you can just refer to the weather records.

A much more accurate site is http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/?ref=hdr

however, they really only do 7 days forecasts.

Or even, http://www.weatherzone.com.au/nsw/sydney/sydney

Second this - in my experience bom.gov.au is much more accurate than the other sites. It is the official website for weather across Australia. When you are within a week of arriving, that is the site I would use. They have a good app as well (search for bom - bureau of meteorology). It also gives you the rain radar.

Cheers!

Second this - in my experience bom.gov.au is much more accurate than the other sites. It is the official website for weather across Australia. When you are within a week of arriving, that is the site I would use. They have a good app as well (search for bom - bureau of meteorology). It also gives you the rain radar.

Cheers!

The rain radar is excellent as you can use it for knowing if there will be rain in the next couple of hours where you are or just other places around where you are.

All

Thanks very much for your help. I know there are no guarantees, but all of you down there are much better informed about local weather than those of us in US. Thanks for the bom site--I will check that when we get closer.

I am just hoping we don't have the 'satanic' temps __hellyes describes. And if we do, I want to know :D

Not worried about rain--we have procured some light rain ponchos with hoods for rainy days. Rather be a tad warm but dry, no rain running down my neck and back. And if its just a mild rain, a hat will do the trick.

Thanks again

ML

PS: We will be taking a few minutes at the Sydney airport to change from our heavier winter clothes to shorts before we emerge into Sydney :)

ML, my memory is that March has been a rainy month. In my younger days I played cricket (yes, another Aussie sport that we won't go into right now), and finals were always in March & always seemed to be impacted by rain.

Overall it will likely be pleasant when you are here - autumn and spring are the best times to visit here. I live at Penrith, which you will pass thru on your trip up to the Blue Mountains. I would have been very pleased to have a drink with your group, but alas, I will be away on a cruise :D pretty well right thru March, actually departing Mar-7.

Hope you have a great experience downunder!

ML, my memory is that March has been a rainy month. In my younger days I played cricket (yes, another Aussie sport that we won't go into right now), and finals were always in March & always seemed to be impacted by rain.

Overall it will likely be pleasant when you are here - autumn and spring are the best times to visit here. I live at Penrith, which you will pass thru on your trip up to the Blue Mountains. I would have been very pleased to have a drink with your group, but alas, I will be away on a cruise :D pretty well right thru March, actually departing Mar-7.

Hope you have a great experience downunder!

mr walker

I love rain. We live in the desert southwest of the US and only get about 9" of rain a year, so it's a treat. Yes, I know, very weird but that's the way it is!!

Pleasant would be excellent. Sorry to miss you (we'll wave as we pass thru Penrith, it's the thought!), and enjoy your cruise.

This will be the trip of a lifetime, I'm sure it will be great.

ML

All

Thanks very much for your help. I know there are no guarantees, but all of you down there are much better informed about local weather than those of us in US. Thanks for the bom site--I will check that when we get closer.

I am just hoping we don't have the 'satanic' temps __hellyes describes. And if we do, I want to know :D

Not worried about rain--we have procured some light rain ponchos with hoods for rainy days. Rather be a tad warm but dry, no rain running down my neck and back. And if its just a mild rain, a hat will do the trick.

Thanks again

ML

PS: We will be taking a few minutes at the Sydney airport to change from our heavier winter clothes to shorts before we emerge into Sydney :)

The BOM site is great. If you follow the "Australia" tab at the top , you can find wind and wave forecasts for the next week. Handy if you suffer from mal-de-mer.

John.

And this afternoon in Sydney, massive storms, torrential rain, flooding, traffic delays, airport delays, all the seasons in one day, typical of Feb/March on the eastern seaboard. But we do need the precipitation.:eek:

And this afternoon in Sydney, massive storms, torrential rain, flooding, traffic delays, airport delays, all the seasons in one day, typical of Feb/March on the eastern seaboard. But we do need the precipitation.:eek:

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/sydney-weather-storm-tempest-and-a-long-commute-home-20170217-gufmtv.html

it was BLACK in the city around 3.45 !! That poor Ovation... I couldn't see it from my nice view :p

It was BUCKETING down... and now.... 6.20 in God's Country (The Shire).. the sun is out.

Tomorrow - Saturday... well we'll be expecting the same.. sun.. humidity.. storms... and back to sun again.... this is what the next month and a bit will be like.... and yes.. we need the rain.. the pool needs a few more inches.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/sydney-weather-storm-tempest-and-a-long-commute-home-20170217-gufmtv.html

it was BLACK in the city around 3.45 !! That poor Ovation... I couldn't see it from my nice view :p

It was BUCKETING down... and now.... 6.20 in God's Country (The Shire).. the sun is out.

Tomorrow - Saturday... well we'll be expecting the same.. sun.. humidity.. storms... and back to sun again.... this is what the next month and a bit will be like.... and yes.. we need the rain.. the pool needs a few more inches.

I lived in your Gods Country - Sutherland Shire for 30 years @ Engadine.:cool:

Lucky we have many gods because I am in Gods country now.

BTW, I wonder if Sutho was from that area or if it is a nickname.:eek:

Ha ha ha.

Don't line in Gods place at the moment but was there last night for dad's birthday.

Lucky we have many gods because I am in Gods country now.

BTW, I wonder if Sutho was from that area or if it is a nickname.:eek:[/quote

Sutho short for his surname. He is from Newcastle.

Man of many aliases and places, also from Brisbane and Uluru as well as being a high achiever at Charles Darwin's uni.:p