Cadbury's to close dunedin factory next year

Cadbury's have announced that they will close their Dunedin factory next year with a loss of 350 jobs. However the good news is that they hope to keep the Cadbury World Tourist attraction open but will confirm this later. Many cruisers visit the factory and Cadbury's World when they visit Dunedin. Also at stake is the "Jaffa" rolling down the world's steepest street Baldwin Street in Dunedin which is held annually

Cadbury's have announced that they will close their Dunedin factory next year with a loss of 350 jobs. However the good news is that they hope to keep the Cadbury World Tourist attraction open but will confirm this later. Many cruisers visit the factory and Cadbury's World when they visit Dunedin. Also at stake is the "Jaffa" rolling down the world's steepest street Baldwin Street in Dunedin which is held annually

Been in there a couple of times, so where are they moving their plant to? The Phillipines or Vietnam ? The Cadburys plant at Claremont in Tassie, been there, is it sill churning out the chocolate?

Yes, 350 jobs is a lot to lose, will have a big impact on the local economy.:eek: Not forgetting the local dairy industry, a glass and a half of milk in every block.

That is not a good decision for New Zealand. I have visited that factory and really enjoyed it. I think it is time governments got serious about protecting local jobs and keeping people off welfare and seeing society decline by imposing some serious import taxes on products that are imported but previously manufactured by locals. Its all well and good to have world trade but one day it will go too far and what we are seeing in America now is people wanting their country back and jobs back instead of seeing jobs shipped offshore.

NSWP I understand Cadbury's are moving the Dunedin production to Melbourne.

Are you not upset that New Zealand loses out over this? Even though I am Australian, I would be upset to see an icon like this that has supported tourism and jobs get closed down. Although they want the tours to remain the plant closing will have an impact. What makes Melbourne a better place to produce chocolates than Dunedin?

NSWP I understand Cadbury's are moving the Dunedin production to Melbourne.

Thank you, Victorian Dairy Industry will like that. Cadbury could employ some of the hundreds of redundant car industry workers from Holden, Ford, Toyota. etc.:o

Been in there a couple of times, so where are they moving their plant to? The Phillipines or Vietnam ? The Cadburys plant at Claremont in Tassie, been there, is it sill churning out the chocolate?

Yes, 350 jobs is a lot to lose, will have a big impact on the local economy.:eek: Not forgetting the local dairy industry, a glass and a half of milk in every block.

According to the Cadbury site the Claremont plant is still manufacturing but the visitor centre has closed down (a while back I think).

I do agree with Brisbane41 - it is a real problem that large companies can close and relocate causing job losses in the local communities. That's the way of global business these days I suppose and it's not pleasant, but part of the problem is the drive for profits and consumers who want ever lower prices.

According to the Cadbury site the Claremont plant is still manufacturing but the visitor centre has closed down (a while back I think).

I do agree with Brisbane41 - it is a real problem that large companies can close and relocate causing job losses in the local communities. That's the way of global business these days I suppose and it's not pleasant, but part of the problem is the drive for profits and consumers who want ever lower prices.

Do consumers? I'm yet to hear people lament that chocolate bars cost too much and need to come down in price.

Way back when, these things used to be 'treats.' Now they're just everyday, consumption has increased, people getting fatter, diabetes increasing. And as production and consumption has increased they're understandably taken for granted as with many things, and no longer seen as special.

From my view it's more about profits from increased sales.

Cadburys have been their own worst enemy when they put palm oil into their chocolate against huge opposition from environmentalists and were forced to get rid of palm oil eventually. In New Zealand Whittakers chocolate from Porirua is the market leader because it is of better quality..

We are due there in Feb 18. Will it be open?

Sad for the workers who work there of course. It is a very out of the way place to have a factory making food which then has to be transported a long way to anywhere else, which may have impacted the economics of the operation.

I must say, I don't mind a bit of chocolate now & then. But I was very surprised on our first NZ cruise where Dunedin was our first port-of-call to see so many people re-boarding laden down with bags of chocolate. They looked like they had been to the Easter Show & bought a bunch of show-bags. Really! There is so much to do and see in Dunedin & surrounding region, and people needed to charge off and buy chocolate. Not some special chocolate, not available anywhere else, but just plain old mass-produced standard Cadbury's available everywhere :confused:

Now the Speight's Brewery Tour - now that's different ;)

Cadburys have been their own worst enemy when they put palm oil into their chocolate against huge opposition from environmentalists and were forced to get rid of palm oil eventually. In New Zealand Whittakers chocolate from Porirua is the market leader because it is of better quality..

Yeah, Whittaker's is good.

I prefer it though as they have much better varieties than Cadbury's. Better quality as you say as well.

But I was very surprised on our first NZ cruise where Dunedin was our first port-of-call to see so many people re-boarding laden down with bags of chocolate. They looked like they had been to the Easter Show & bought a bunch of show-bags. Really! There is so much to do and see in Dunedin & surrounding region, and people needed to charge off and buy chocolate. Not some special chocolate, not available anywhere else, but just plain old mass-produced standard Cadbury's available everywhere :confused:

Agreed. It was mentioned but not somewhere I bothered going when I went there. Lots more interesting places to visit!

Sad for the workers who work there of course. It is a very out of the way place to have a factory making food which then has to be transported a long way to anywhere else, which may have impacted the economics of the operation.

I must say, I don't mind a bit of chocolate now & then. But I was very surprised on our first NZ cruise where Dunedin was our first port-of-call to see so many people re-boarding laden down with bags of chocolate. They looked like they had been to the Easter Show & bought a bunch of show-bags. Really! There is so much to do and see in Dunedin & surrounding region, and people needed to charge off and buy chocolate. Not some special chocolate, not available anywhere else, but just plain old mass-produced standard Cadbury's available everywhere :confused:

Totally agree..they go to NZ on a cruise to see a bit of NZ inc Dunedin and straight off on ye old shuttle bus to Cadburys, boring. Yes we did Cadburys, but also The Motor Museum, the Railway Stn and everthing else in Dunedin.

If they touch that brewery, two things would happen,

• I and all of NZ will be in shock (along with countless other consumers from around the world).
  • I would have no need to ever go back to Dunedin (having seen so much of it already).

No there is no Aldi in NZ.

Don't worry, the Germans are on their way over the Tasman Sea in the U Boats.:eek:

Bringing all their good tucker with them. The Aldi chocolate is very good too and half the price of Cadburys and Whitakers. We have liquor in our Aldi as well. Very good.

Guten Nacht Mein Herr.:cool:

Don't worry, the Germans are on their way over the Tasman Sea in the U Boats.:eek:

Bringing all their good tucker with them. The Aldi chocolate is very good too and half the price of Cadburys and Whitakers. We have liquor in our Aldi as well. Very good.

Guten Nacht Mein Herr.:cool:

LOL, yes nice wines and ciders

Do consumers? I'm yet to hear people lament that chocolate bars cost too much and need to come down in price.

No they don't complain but companies can't charge a fair price anymore and expect to hold market share. There are far too many cheap brands imported to compete. It is the relentless search for the cheapest price by many consumers (and hang the quality).