Looking for some train advice!

Softball20

Traveling to Florence pre-cruise in May, and I may be changing my mind about how to get there and then to Civitavecchia. I've gotten some great advice here, but it looks like I need more.

As of now we are renting a car at FCO and driving to our apartment in Florence. The owner has confirmed that there is parking nearby at a cost of about 30 euros/day. The car will stay in that lot until we are ready to head to Civitavecchia three days later. I understand that even driving into Florence can be challenging due to all the ZTS's and restrictions, so I'm gathering as much info as I can so we don't make any mistakes. The owner of the apartment will provide detailed instructions, and I understand that he will be able to arrange for some kind of permit so that we can drive our car up to the apartment (right smack in the middle of a ZTL) and then go park. Despite all my preparation, it still makes me a bit nervous that we may screw up, and I don't want any 100 euro tickets coming our way. Otherwise, driving in Italy doesn't bother us; we've done it before - just not in Florence or a city with such restrictions.

We had opted to drive as we will have our cruise luggage with us. We don't at all mind taking the trains in Italy; they are easy and efficient. However, given the fact that we will have the luggage, driving seemed to make sense. I explored the options of private transportation, but it's way too expensive, even considering that we are two couples traveling together.

I'm back to thinking about the train again after getting and chastised on TA for not knowing what I am doing and being "unprepared." Seriously! (Don't ask - still peeved at this.)

There is one direct train from FCO to Florence at 11:08 a.m. Our flight is supposed to land at 9:45 a.m. Is this enough time to make that train, assuming, of course, there are no flight delays? Our experience in the past is that passport control/immigration at the Rome airport has generally been pretty efficient. We are in business class and our friends are in the first row of coach, so we should be able to be off the plane pretty quickly. We've always used private transportation getting out of the airport, so I have no idea how long it could take us to get to the train station. If we don't make that train, there are plenty of others, but they all go through Rome. Lots of schlepping and steps (up and down to get the the various platforms) at the Termini, right? We don't mind the walking at all, and we are all in good shape. We will, however have all the luggage. (I'm not known for packing lightly, which makes my husband nervous about having to deal with the trains ;))

Now for the return to Civitavecchia. There are no direct trains. If we choose to scrap the car, it appears that we have two options: Take the train from Florence which goes through Rome and then transfer to the regional train that goes to Civitavecchia. This, of course, involves the same steps and schlepping as above. The second option is to take a train to Pisa and then on to Civitavecchia. I've looked up the schedules on the trenitalia website, and it's completely doable time wise. My question here is about the Pisa train station - are there a lot of steps and is it relatively easy to switch trains?

I guess a third, but somewhat silly option, would be to take the direct train from Florence back to FCO on that last morning and then take a private transfer (Rome Cabs) to the port. I know that's out of the way, but it would avoid a change of trains. Not really sure I like this option.

Once in Civitavecchia we will take a taxi to the port.

Sorry for the length of the post and hoping that some of the Italy experts will chime in. Are there other options that might make more sense? With the exception of the really high priced private transfer, there really is no issue for us as to the cost between the car rental or the trains. It's more of a convenience issue vs. not wanting to get ticketed in Florence.

Well, I'm not the absolute expert on train travel, but I much prefer it in Italy to driving (sorry, Hank!). I too would be a bit nervous about avoiding the ZTLs in Florence.

Regarding your possible train from FCO to Florence, don't be too worried about connecting in Rome. If you take the Leonardo Express from FCO to Rome Termini, the train comes in at the main station head, not the auxiliary tracks (unlike the regional trains to/from Civitavecchia). This is also where the fast trains depart for Florence. Also, the station is all on one level -- no stairs to traverse.

I'd be a bit nervous about buying tickets in advance for the 11:08 train. It's possible, if all goes well, that you could make it, especially given the likelihood of being among the first off the plane. But it's pretty tight if there are ANY delays.

Once you get your luggage at FCO, you will follow signs to the train station, this will involve going up one level (there are elevators and escalators if you seek them out), but in reality it's not too far away.

All of this will be compounded, though, by the amount of luggage you have in tow. I really would urge you to pack sparingly.

For your return, I would look to transfer in Pisa rather than Termini. Pisa is a much smaller station and you avoid the LONG walk to the tracks for the Civi train, assuming you'd be getting the regionale.

You can easily make all of your connections via train. The limiting factor is how much luggage you will have to drag along with you. Have you considered a luggage service to transfer most of the bags to the ship and for you to just take a small rollaway?

Trains to the port can become VERY crowded at peak boarding and traveling excursion times with standing room only even from Roma Termini.

Well, I'm not the absolute expert on train travel, but I much prefer it in Italy to driving (sorry, Hank!). I too would be a bit nervous about avoiding the ZTLs in Florence.

Regarding your possible train from FCO to Florence, don't be too worried about connecting in Rome. If you take the Leonardo Express from FCO to Rome Termini, the train comes in at the main station head, not the auxiliary tracks (unlike the regional trains to/from Civitavecchia). This is also where the fast trains depart for Florence. Also, the station is all on one level -- no stairs to traverse.

I'd be a bit nervous about buying tickets in advance for the 11:08 train. It's possible, if all goes well, that you could make it, especially given the likelihood of being among the first off the plane. But it's pretty tight if there are ANY delays.

Once you get your luggage at FCO, you will follow signs to the train station, this will involve going up one level (there are elevators and escalators if you seek them out), but in reality it's not too far away.

All of this will be compounded, though, by the amount of luggage you have in tow. I really would urge you to pack sparingly.

For your return, I would look to transfer in Pisa rather than Termini. Pisa is a much smaller station and you avoid the LONG walk to the tracks for the Civi train, assuming you'd be getting the regionale.

Thanks for chiming in so quickly! Good advice. I agree about not buying those tickets for the 11:08 train in advance - if we decide to do the train, we'll hustle to the station and get tickets there. If we don't make it, we can always go to the Termini and then on to Florence. Also nice to hear that the Pisa option may work.

You can easily make all of your connections via train. The limiting factor is how much luggage you will have to drag along with you. Have you considered a luggage service to transfer most of the bags to the ship and for you to just take a small rollaway?

Trains to the port can become VERY crowded at peak boarding and traveling excursion times with standing room only even from Roma Termini.

I'll look into the luggage service; I had no idea. Thanks.

Have you considered the express bus from FCO to Firenze? Cost is from 5 to 25 euros, and it's getting rave reviews on Tripadvisor.

http://www.fiumicinoexpress.com/?lang=en

Thanks for the info. I ran across that the other day, and I did look at it. (Looked at it again, just now.) For the moment we're leaning against it as we were hoping to get to Florence a bit earlier. Given that our flight is supposed to get in at 9:45 a.m., assuming it's on time, I don't see how we could make the 10:30 bus. The next one isn't until 12:30, which doesn't get to Florence until 4:00. Definitely worth considering, but if we don't keep the car, the train might be better.

You can make this all so, so much easier if everyone can separate your luggage and only take to Florence what you'll absolutely need for those three days.

There are services like Bon Bags that will pick your things up at the airport, store them, then deliver them to the cruise port days later.

http://www.bon-bags.com/sito/en/luggage-transport-and-storage/luggage-rome.html

You can make this all so, so much easier if everyone can separate your luggage and only take to Florence what you'll absolutely need for those three days.

There are services like Bon Bags that will pick your things up at the airport, store them, then deliver them to the cruise port days later.

http://www.bon-bags.com/sito/en/luggage-transport-and-storage/luggage-rome.html

Thanks! I will definitely look into this. I think that we're now pretty much leaning towards taking the train, but this will make it easier.

When we were flying out of Venice Airport a few months ago, my wife and I couldn't get over all the cruise passengers checking monsterous 50+ pound luggage--and one per person in the family.

We follow Rick Steves' packing list with some minor changes, and can travel indefinitely with a 21" rolling bag and a small backpack or oversized purse. We consider ourselves perpetual travelers, and our family rule is everyone must handle their own bags.

When we get on Holland America's Konisberg on April 2nd for a repositioning cruise to Rome, we'll be packing just as always--lightly. We're going to transfer to an apartment in Budapest the day after Easter, and we'll have washer/dryer access.

No need to apologize, Cruisemom :). We have certainly done more then our share of train travel in Europe...as well as plenty of driving trips. The OP sounds well versed in all the issues so there is little we can add. Regarding the ZTLs, if you are staying inside a ZTL it is theoretically possible to get a permit (waiver of the fine) from the local Police. But since they need to know your car plate number, it cannot be totally arranged in advance. Hopefully your landlord can help ease the process...but it is Italy and you will still have to deal with the local police..

We would be personally be uncomfortable with a non-refundable ticket on that 11:08 train. You would be gambling on your flight arriving on time...which is not a gamble we often take these days. As to how long to get your luggage at FCO, when we have flown Business or First it is usually pretty fast...but we have also had instances of having to wait over 45 min.

As to changing trains in Pisa...it will depend on the tracks. It is possible you would have to go through an underpass..and I do not recall if there was an elevator (and if so...does it actually work?). One reason (among many) that we prefer a rental car over trains is because of the ease of handling our luggage. A simple carry-on is not an issue on European trains. But once you have to deal with larger pieces...it can be a real hassle for those without the strength to handle their own luggage. When taking large pieces on a train we take a small cable-lock (similar to a lightweight bicycle lock) so we can secure our luggage to the train when we must leave it at the end of a car. As to going all the way back to FCO to get a transfer to the port...that does seem a bit of a pain (not to mention costly). We would probably opt for a change in Pisa....but that still leaves you having to get from the Civitavecchia station to your ship. This can be done using the local bus to the shuttle bus (somewhat of a hassle) but you still need to get your luggage from the train, through the station, across the street to the first bus,,,,and then from that bus to the port shuttle bus (this is not too difficult).

On the other hand, using a rental car to Civitavecchia has its own issues. Unlike Livorno, you are not permitted to drive your rental car into the Port at Civitavecchia. So you still need to get from your rental car agency to your ship (if you are lucky they will drive you...or know a friendly taxi).

Hank

Thanks for all the replies. We are more and more leaning towards the train, despite the luggage. Luckily all of us are in good shape and can handle it, although I'm sure the guys will do most of the heavy lifting;) I love the idea of the cable lock, and I've added it to my list of things to remember. I've also contacted the bag service suggested by Eurocruiser - waiting for a reply to get more information.

While we don't mind driving, and it does offer some degree of flexibility, we would truly only be using it to get to Florence and then to Civitavecchia. After flying all night, it may be just better to do the train.

If we do take the train, we will not pre-buy the tix for the 11:08 train. Too many variables. If we make it - great, if not, there's always plan B. I have also thought of perhaps having Rome Cabs pick us up at the airport and just take us to the Termini in Rome. Doing the math for the four of us, it's really just a few euros more than taking the train the whole way. Of course, we would have to pre-book that, which would definitely eliminate the 11:08 train option.

Does anyone know if there are luggage lockers at the train station in Pisa? I understand that it's about a 15 minute walk to the tower, and since we've never seen it, we might think about it if we have something to do with the luggage. Or, maybe I'll look into a car service from Florence to Pisa - have them swing by the tower and drop us at the train station???? Yes - I do tend to over analyze things.

Sounds like a taxi (or two) from the train station in Civitavecchia is the way to go.

• 1 month later...

A follow up question regarding our train travel:

Looking at the Trenitalia site for options in the event we don't make that 11:08 direct train from FCO to Florence. There are plenty of them, but they change trains at the Tiburtina station instead of at the Termini. I've never been to that station - how is it in terms of ease of transferring, etc?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to take a minute to thank those who chimed in with advice for our travels. We did actually make that 11:08 direct train to Florence despite being a few minutes late in landing and having to wait in line at a second window to purchase the tickets as the first agent's computer went down mid purchase! Getting through the airport to the train station at the airport wasn't too bad. We didn't find the lift (although I won't get in one of those tiny European elevators, anyway), but it wasn't too bad getting all the luggage up and down the various escalators as we worked in shifts. Getting taxis in Florence to our apartment was no problem at all. On the flip side leaving Florence, we called for two cabs the night before we were to leave for Rome and they came right on time. Once in Rome, Rome Cabs was there waiting for us to take us directly to the ship. We opted for this as opposed to having to switch trains and then having to get to the port from the train station in Civitavecchia. Couldn't have been easier, even with all of our luggage!