Where to rent a car in Fort Lauderdale after cruise?

sheezsmith

Which rental car company is closest to the port in Fort Lauderdale? After our cruise we will be driving to Orlando, returning the car there at the airport and taking DME for a few day's visit with Mickey and his friends. Thanks for any help.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48314296&postcount=3

We've used Avis at the Hyatt Pier 66 several times and had good experiences.

Which rental car company is closest to the port in Fort Lauderdale? After our cruise we will be driving to Orlando, returning the car there at the airport and taking DME for a few day's visit with Mickey and his friends. Thanks for any help.

We like to use Alamo. They have a free shuttle that picks you up at the cruise Terminal and takes you to the airport car rental location. They usually have the best prices and they don't charge a fee for dropping the car at a MCO.

Dollar, port Everglades office picks u up[emoji7]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hertz has a location close to the cruise port and provide free shuttle from the pier. I took it once, but never again. It stops at all the cruise ships, and by the time it got to us there were more people wanting to get on than they had room. Next time I would pay to take a taxi the short distance.

We like to use Alamo. They have a free shuttle that picks you up at the cruise Terminal and takes you to the airport car rental location. They usually have the best prices and they don't charge a fee for dropping the car at a MCO.

We love Alamo too, but your info has changed, we found out the hard way on Feb 11. They recently opened an office just at the port entrance, and no longer shuttle to airport. I actually called when making my reservation to confirm the free shuttle to the port, and they said yes they do. When I picked up my car, at the desk they told me last week was the end of the free shuttle, but I could return the car to the new location, and from there they drop you at each terminal. When we did that, and got my receipt, my $41 1 day rental became a $221 rental due to dropping it at a location other than where I got it! And of course they told me about the upcharge after running my debit card. After arguing, and needing to get to my ship, they told me they would research it and hopefully credit me in 3-4 days. When we returned to the port 6 days later, the charge was still there. I called the 800 number, and finally a few days later was credited the $180 back.

Moral of the story, check and double check your plans!

But Alamo is great for all other aspects.

Hertz has a location close to the cruise port and provide free shuttle from the pier. I took it once, but never again. It stops at all the cruise ships, and by the time it got to us there were more people wanting to get on than they had room. Next time I would pay to take a taxi the short distance.

Strange we used them twice and never had that problem, why would they if the van was full, stop at other ships?? Anyway the location is not great, if you are not familiar with Ft Lauderdale,(we used to live there) You have only one exit out of the hertz office and that is to go west and it is a busy area to drive in and make your way back to the tourist/beach area.