Review of Oasis of the Seas- Feb 19th- Feb 26th

jmabre

Back to work today, but what better way to re-live the vacation than by putting together a detailed review. My intent is informational, giving back to a community that helped me a great deal before we sailed last week. Hopefully, you will be able to pick up a few things that will help you as well.

About us...I'm a 42 year old male who just sailed RC for the 3rd time. My wife and two boys (10 & 8) joined us in a balcony room on deck 10. The boys slept on pull out couch. We cruised with my FIL and MIL who had a balcony room on Deck 12. We are from Buffalo, NY, and we were happy to escape winter and head for sunny FL and the Caribbean.

I'll do this by day to try and help with my recall, and I'll post in segments with a goal of finishing by the end of this week....

Day 1-

We stayed in Orlando overnight and headed over to the Port area around noon. We were pleasantly surprised by how many toll booths there are in route from Orlando to Port Canaveral (I should warn you, I am a bit sarcastic). Anyway, if you do rent a car and plan on driving this route, bring lots of quarters. If you do have to pay cash, the lines are often longer and take some time. We dropped off our Avis rental in Cape Canaveral, and it is about 3 miles away from the Oasis. Therefore, we waited about 20 minutes for the shuttle to return and take us and a bunch of others over to the port. Once there, we were dropped off very close to where we needed to be, the porters all swarmed over to take our luggage, and we tipped them about $10 for the service. Then we headed to the back of the long line of people waiting to enter the building. Just another note, there is a rental car place that is within walking distance to the port (I think it is National), I would use that next time to cut out the 1/2 hour wait and travel on the Avis shuttle.

This line is the security line to get into the building, so there is no skipping it unless you are diamond status. Unfortunately, we are only gold status, so we had to wait. The line took about 30 - 45 minutes to get all the way through. Once in, we were then shuffled upstairs to get our sea pass cards. This is where the gold status came in handy. We were put into a gold status line and it took very little time. This brings us to about 2pm or so on Day 1.

From there we entered the ship and headed up to our room to check it out and drop off some of the carry on stuff. We stopped in Orlando and we bought 2 bottles of wine and we carried that on to the ship. I will say, I did see several people in line bringing in cases of water. I know that because they were not in any sort of luggage, just the case of 24 water bottles. Now, I don't think I would have wanted to carry that through the long line, but it probably did save them several dollars over buying it on board for about $3.50 per. So, even though RC says you can't, it appears as though they do not enforce that rule.

Our room was a balcony room on Deck 10, near the line between mid ship and the aft (back) of the ship on the port (left) side. I do think the starboard (right) side of the ship had several better views for the first part of the journey. Things I liked about the room, the beds that get put together to form one is actually about the size of King bed. It is quite spacious. However, when the kids bed gets folded down for sleep, the room really has very little space to move around in. With these growing boys, I'm afraid next time will need to be something bigger (and more expensive). The bathroom is quite efficient, and the bed is high enough to store all of your suitcases and stuff underneath. The balcony was nice and it served as another small living space to make the room seem a little bigger.

We met our room steward, Iputu from Thailand. Great guy, did everything very efficiently and was fun to talk to. Asked about if he had a family, he said yes, and his son was 10 months old. He said he wouldn't see him again until after his 1st birthday. Ah, the things in life we take for granted.

Another nice thing about these rooms is, that you don't hear your neighbors at all, unless they let their door slam on the way in or out. No talking, no noise. Very nice. You will hear the occasional kid go sprinting down the hall, as my boys did several times. There is also an empty refrigerator that you can use to store whatever you want.

From there, we put our stuff away and went on a walking exploration of the ship. We headed down to grab some grub at the pizzeria first (passable pizza, not great), but we stayed there for a little while to meet up with our FIL and MIL. From there, we walked through the Deck 5 Promenade, all around the Deck 6 Boardwalk and then on to our favorite part of the ship, the Deck 8 Central Park. We did some exploring and killed a bunch of time, then we gathered back at the room for the 4:30 sail away. We probably could have done it better by going up to the upper decks, but we were tired as it had been a long day already.

I'm not sure what we did the rest of the time before dinner, so I'll fast forward to our 8pm meal in the Main Dining Room (MDR). We had a table for six in the main dining room on Deck 4. We were off to the side, so we sat in what felt like a train car, because it was long and thin. One thing I would do differently next time, is to get the 5:30 seating or try the My Time Dining. 8pm tends to be a late meal that often conflicts with lots of show times and activities. Not to mention, you end up going to bed feeling gross and full lots of nights.

Our table was fine, the waiters for our table were good. The food was good. No complaints on those aspects. A couple of things that we liked were that the waiters were very eager to serve and please. However, sometimes this can be done a little too over the top. There is a fine line between good service and over service. I like to get to know the servers as people, talk to them about their countries and families, etc. So, the main dining room is a great place for this type of conversation. I feel it is good for my children to meet people from other countries as well, to see how they live, to hear about their lives. At the end of the meal, they asked if we would be back tomorrow, and we told them no, we bought the $85 package for 3 specialty restaurants, and tomorrow we would be eating at Chops. They seemed a bit let down, but we told them we would be back (we thought that was the truth, but more on that later).

Now about 9:30 or so on Day 1, we took another walk around the ship, trying to walk off dinner. Not sure we stayed up much longer that evening. We headed up to bed, ready to take on Day 2 bright and early.

Feel free to ask questions too, I'll try and answer them.

Hey Sal, muster drill was 4pm, 1/2 an hour before the departure time. They do scan sea passes there, so make sure you attend. Although, the tech on board definitely needs an upgrade, but more on that later. Enjoy your trip.

Hey Sal, muster drill was 4pm, 1/2 an hour before the departure time. They do scan sea passes there, so make sure you attend. Although, the tech on board definitely needs an upgrade, but more on that later. Enjoy your trip.

Excellent! You're on It! Thanks again!

We board the Oasis this Sunday and I am enjoying your review! We also bought the 3 night specialty dining package. Not quite sure how it works as from what I understand the first night is picked for you? So did you pick Chops? And how did the other two specialty dining choices go? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Day 1- addendum...

In the main dining room, we ordered a couple of glasses of wine with dinner. We do enjoy some wine, a beer here and there, and some rum drinks while on a cruise. We did not buy the drink package, and that turned out to be a great idea. There is no way that we would have wanted to consume that much booze, along with all of the food we ate. That wouldn't have worked at all. There was not one day where I would have even broken even on that drink package deal. But, back to my point. We are honest people, we try and teach that to our kids as well. As we were walking out of the dining room, I realized that I never got a bill for the wine that night. I'm not sure if that was on purpose or not (searching for higher tips perhaps?), but since I felt a little slighted by RC and the fact that they offered a slightly better price for the cruise on black Friday, but wouldn't let me re-book because I was within the 90 day window, I thought that this was a little bit of karma, and we accepted that gift.

B

This line is the security line to get into the building, so there is no skipping it unless you are diamond status. Unfortunately, we are only gold status, so we had to wait.

That doesn't seem right, We are Diamond and had to go through the first security check like everybody else. I remember it because the security guy noted we hadn't signed our passports even though we used them in April when we first got them and nobody at Port Everglades noticed.

That doesn't seem right, We are Diamond and had to go through the first security check like everybody else. I remember it because the security guy noted we hadn't signed our passports even though we used them in April when we first got them and nobody at Port Everglades noticed.

You definitely have to go through security, it is just that Diamond members have a spot in line that basically gets to cut in front of everyone who is not Diamond. I remember seeing the Diamond entrance to the security line, and it basically cut out about 20 minutes of wait time.

Day 2-

Before I start, one tip that I thought was a good one. Bring a highlighter. There are so many things in the Cruise Compass each day, that a highlighter will help you cull the list down into the things you are interested in doing.

We started Day 2 by going to one of our favorite places, Park Café in Central Park. They have a nice selection of breakfast sandwiches, fruits, yogurts, pastries, etc. It is often not crowded, although good luck getting a muffin. For some reason, they have the coffee bar where you can get lattes and extra cost coffee drinks set up on the same station as the muffins, and only one guy manning both. He is a nice guy who often chats up guests while making the coffee, but you have to wait in order to just get a muffin. Unless you want to be pushy (not our style I guess).

From there, I had scheduled in advance a flowrider lesson at 11:30am. If you filled out your paperwork online, the process to use the flowrider and zip line is easy. Go up to the sports desk next to the flowrider and get your blue wristband. This lets the staff know that you are good to go. I did end up wearing this the whole trip so that I didn’t have to repeat this process.

The lesson is an hour long and it is you and 7 others. So, out of that hour, you get about 8 minutes of it as your “own.” For the price, that is an expensive 8 minutes, but the guys who did the instruction were very good. By the end of the trip I was stand up surfing very well over on the flowrider. I remember one of the guys we were with thought that it was an individual lesson. Wasn’t he surprised to find out that was not true. Actually, come to think of it, a couple of the kids who went first got to go three times, so if you are thinking of doing it, hop up and sit down first in line if you can.

After the flowrider session ended, it was on to lunch. I’m pretty sure we went over to the Wipe Out Café and had burgers and fries. While in line, there was no beef burgers, so I grabbed a turkey burger. It was just ok. Didn’t finish it, wouldn’t get it again. I think they were a little bit behind in the service process, but had I waited a couple of minutes, fresh burgers did arrive. My boys both ate hot dogs and were happy with them. Of course, they also polished off some ice cream cones after lunch as well.

This is something I probably did day 1, but I forgot to mention. Remember the 3 day dining package? Well, they advertise in the promotion that the first day is booked for you. First I looked at the in room television, which has your account info and scheduled events, but it said nothing about dining reservations. So then, I went down to the specialty restaurant booking table in the Promenade (right across from Sorrentios Pizza) where they are trying to sell everyone who walks by a dinner package. I talked with the gentlemen there with his old IBM laptop (again the tech on the ship is in need of a desperate upgrade), and he told me that we did not have any restaurants booked, even though it says that is what they do. So, I’m not sure if this was a mistake or if they really don’t book the first one for you. Anyway, I had to add the kids to the reservations at $10 a piece and we booked 3 specialty restaurant dinners for 3 separate nights in 3 separate restaurants. Chops on night 2 was our first one. My advice, check early on day 1 what is going on. You can go to any specialty restaurant and they can check it out for you. Make your reservations and you can always change them later. I know we changed one, and it was no problem. Also, we were on a sold out cruise, and never were we in a full specialty restaurant for dinner.

After lunch, we went up to the Adventure Ocean Club with my kids, so we could sign them up. My wife and I were excited about this, my kids, not so much. They are more introverted than extroverted, so having to split up into separate groups (6-8 is one group, 9-11 is another) was not their idea of fun. We walked through, it looked really nice, while my kids moped through the entire tour. Needless to say, it was going to be a battle to get them to go. But, we told them, if they didn’t want to do what the adults were doing, this was their other option.

We grabbed a quick nap and rallied at the Schooner Bar for a drink before dinner. They were having some sort of scavenger hunt as well, so my MIL and the four of us took part. It was fun, but we were beat out by some more far ambitious group. I’ll note here, that my father in law, who is never ill, was down and out for day 2 and day 3 of this cruise. Hardly left the room. Bummer.

From the Schooner Bar, we headed up to Chops for dinner. This was the first of the two formal nights, but the formal nights are only in the MDR. We decided to go nice, but not really formal in our outfits for this night. Our six-person reservation was now a five-person dinner. A quick note about specialty restaurants, as a cost-conscious cruiser, I wasn’t sure about adding the extra expense. $170 for my wife and I, and extra $60 for the kids, that is a bit pricey. However, we loved it. I would definitely do it again. There is an extra added ambiance in these restaurants, and it is generally a bit quieter and easier to communicate. The kids are not limited in their menu either. There is a kids menu, but they are offered to eat off the main menu if they wish. I wasn’t sure if this would be the case, but my 10-year-old is a bit of an aspiring foodie, and I thought it would be a problem if he had to eat off the kids menu. He didn’t.

We brought one of our bottles of wine to Chops and we enjoyed that with our dinner. I had scallops as an appetizer and they were pretty good. We all ordered the filet that night, and I have to say, it was a little disappointing. Not terrible, just not great. My youngest boy was trying filet for the first time, and we ordered his medium. It was clearly med-rare. I also ordered mine medium, it was clearly medium well. Our waiter, Kimon, was great, he grabbed the med rare filet, took it back and brought out another. He called our boys “prince” when asking them questions or confirming requests. I thought that was cool. Some other waiters on the ship would just refer to them as “boy” which I think needs improvement. For dessert, this was probably the best dessert I had on the ship, we had chocolate lava cake with a side of coconut ice cream. That was awesome! Overall, I would give Chops 7 out of 10.

After dinner, we wandered around, seeing what was going on around the ship. I think we stopped in and listened to some jazz for a little while. The little guys were getting tired, so we decided to head up to bed. We had to get rested because Day 3 in Labadee was going to be an early one.

We board the Oasis this Sunday and I am enjoying your review! We also bought the 3 night specialty dining package. Not quite sure how it works as from what I understand the first night is picked for you? So did you pick Chops? And how did the other two specialty dining choices go? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Check out my Day 2 post, it explains the lack of clarity on this policy.

Loving all the Oasis reviews as we get closer to our summer sailing!

For next time, check out how much it will be to get two connecting cabins rather than just getting one larger one, it's often cheaper than squeezing 4 into one cabin. Plus you get two bathrooms and can bring double the wine 😉

Day 2 addendum

I forgot that Day 2 also had our Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle. It was a lot more sit and not mingle than I expected. I thought people would be a bit more social, and I was looking forward to meeting a few of the people we had conversations with online. Not so much. After the raffle was over, most people just left. Also, there was probably only about 40 people there. It was a bit of letdown, as I had hoped to meet some others with kids, but my kids were the only kids there.

Enjoying your review thus far. Pix coming?

Re rental car returns in Port Canaveral: You're correct that it's National that is closest to the pier. Hertz is by Renaissance Inn, more or a direct shot. However, the problem with every rental agency in the are is the shuttles. They are all slow. And sometimes it seems like there's only one running and its going to all ships. You might be able to hike over to Terminal 1, as you don't have to cross the bridge, but hauling luggage would be a pain.

Enjoyed your comments on the Flowrider. Tempted to try that but my "ears" would get too wet and buzz like the dickens plus DW would nix any thought in a jiffy. I'll probably zip line and rock climb, and lap swim if I get up early in time (no ear wearing needed).

Waiting for your port reviews and the rest of the ship.

You definitely have to go through security, it is just that Diamond members have a spot in line that basically gets to cut in front of everyone who is not Diamond. I remember seeing the Diamond entrance to the security line, and it basically cut out about 20 minutes of wait time.

I did not know that. Thanks for the info and review

Day 2 addendum

I forgot that Day 2 also had our Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle. It was a lot more sit and not mingle than I expected. I thought people would be a bit more social, and I was looking forward to meeting a few of the people we had conversations with online. Not so much. After the raffle was over, most people just left. Also, there was probably only about 40 people there. It was a bit of letdown, as I had hoped to meet some others with kids, but my kids were the only kids there.

Sadly that is the way most of them that we have been to are lately. We prefer when those on the roll calll set up a place to meet at a bar on embarkation day, then you get to meet and mingle

Sadly that is the way most of them that we have been to are lately. We prefer when those on the roll calll set up a place to meet at a bar on embarkation day, then you get to meet and mingle

Good thought. It was my first M&M, and it was more like let's see what we can win and leave party then anything else. A bar setting would be more conducive to fun and chatting. Name tags would also help.

Good thought. It was my first M&M, and it was more like let's see what we can win and leave party then anything else. A bar setting would be more conducive to fun and chatting. Name tags would also help.

People sometimes wear nametags or beads so they can find each other

Another thing I wanted to clear up, as it wasn't clear to me. We purchased one device VOOM usage for the week. You get an access code that you can use on different devices, but just one at a time. For example, you can log on via your phone and do what you have to do, log off, and then your spouse can log into their phone using that same code.

Enjoying your review thus far. Pix coming?

Re rental car returns in Port Canaveral: You're correct that it's National that is closest to the pier. Hertz is by Renaissance Inn, more or a direct shot. However, the problem with every rental agency in the are is the shuttles. They are all slow. And sometimes it seems like there's only one running and its going to all ships. You might be able to hike over to Terminal 1, as you don't have to cross the bridge, but hauling luggage would be a pain.

Enjoyed your comments on the Flowrider. Tempted to try that but my "ears" would get too wet and buzz like the dickens plus DW would nix any thought in a jiffy. I'll probably zip line and rock climb, and lap swim if I get up early in time (no ear wearing needed).

Waiting for your port reviews and the rest of the ship.[/quoteTh

Thanks for clarifing on the rental cars. You wouldn't want to walk luggage over, but you could drop everyone off with the luggage, have them get into the security line, then you go back, drop it off and then walk back.