Those last few weeks...

RMM34667

The last few weeks before my next Princess cruise are the hardest. I have to still check every day to see if an angled balcony has become available (if on the Regal or the Royal and I don't already have one). I have to read every post on CC, especially anything related to the ship I am sailing to see if there is anything new I need to know. I have to double check all the things I have collected to pack. Then find room for my clothes. How many pairs of shoes are too many. Oh I have never shared the tip on what to do if you are stuck in a 4 person cabin with 2 ladders in the closet - make a shoe tree! I have to go to work and pretend I care. And on top of all that I have to try to sleep. Cruising is so stressful.

I love your post! I've only done a couple of cruises, but have to research and plan the heck out of everything! I'm going for 15 days, Panama Canal, on 3/15 on the Island!! So excited :-). But how many shoes are too much???

Lol! I do all of the above too. I read the roll call multiple times so I know who is who at the greeting. We usually have a few sailings in the pipeline, so got to keep each file separate on the various ships.Einstein said time is relative, he was right on!

I love your post! I've only done a couple of cruises, but have to research and plan the heck out of everything! I'm going for 15 days, Panama Canal, on 3/15 on the Island!! So excited :-). But how many shoes are too much???

I usually take about 7 pairs. But unfortunately I am stuck sailing the Caribbean so I drive. I am sure when I have to (get to) fly I will cut down.

We fly to our cruise in 8 days, 20 hrs and 52 mins and my DH has decided I am nuts because:

1. First time cruisers, so have no idea what to expect, so must visit CC multiple times a day-EVERYDAY.

2. Must make sure we have packed all the right things including; duct tape, sewing kit, first aid kit, 2 kinds of mosquito spray, 2 kinds of sun block, clothes pins for the shower curtain, magnet hooks for the wall, and the list goes on.

3. Trying to make sure we have enough cash in 1s, 5s, and 10s for tips.

4. Making sure neither one of us will be dressed inappropriately for any given situation.

5. Making sure he knows the rules about lounger hogging.

6. Gathering all possible info about the islands we will visit.

7. How not to get sea sick and what to do if it does happen.

And everyday I learn something else I need to be concerned with such as how not to wind up in the ships medical. I have spent so much time trying to make sure we are prepared for this trip that I do not know how I will pass the time when I get back. :-)

OP you are hilarious! I second all your sentiments! As for shoes, I always go overboard (no pun intended). I once mentioned to my boss I was taking 13 pairs of shoes on my cruise and he looked at me as if I had lost my mind. And I was like, it's 13 after the major edit.

We fly to our cruise in 8 days, 20 hrs and 52 mins and my DH has decided I am nuts because:

2. Must make sure we have packed all the right things including; duct tape, sewing kit, first aid kit, 2 kinds of mosquito spray, 2 kinds of sun block, clothes pins for the shower curtain, magnet hooks for the wall, and the list goes on.

I'm intrigued by the duct tape. We've cruised 30 times plus or minus 3 and I've seen many post about duct tape. What is it for? What emergency can come up that requires duct tape? Luggage? I've never taken it, but once considered buying a cute duct tape to bring along but DH said no since I couldn't give him a good enough reason what it was for. lol

I know you mentioned you are first time cruises, but just curious since it's one of the things you mentioned you are taking.

PS enjoy your cruise!! That first one is always memorable.

1. First time cruisers, so have no idea what to expect, so must visit CC multiple times a day-EVERYDAY.

4. Making sure neither one of us will be dressed inappropriately for any given situation.

And everyday I learn something else I need to be concerned with such as how not to wind up in the ships medical. I have spent so much time trying to make sure we are prepared for this trip that I do not know how I will pass the time when I get back. :-)

I am so excited for you. But beware -- life will never be the same. When you get back you will spend your time looking for your next cruise! Then it starts all over again!

I'm intrigued by the duct tape. We've cruised 30 times plus or minus 3 and I've seen many post about duct tape. What is it for? What emergency can come up that requires duct tape? Luggage? I've never taken it, but once considered buying a cute duct tape to bring along but DH said no since I couldn't give him a good enough reason what it was for. lol

I know you mentioned you are first time cruises, but just curious since it's one of the things you mentioned you are taking.

Is DH serious? What can't you use duct tape for?

For starters, you can use it for anything that needs to be held together, from your balcony door to your dress. Heck, you can make your dress out of duct tape (google it; I'll wait). You can hold things down, hold things up, keep things together, or keep them apart (if they're rubbing too much). And no, I don't have stock on duct tape, inc.

Congratulations on your first cruise! You only get ONE first cruise so make the most of it. Please note that almost all of the "must take along" items listed in various posts are things we never take and never miss. Don't stress about it. I'm a bit jealous of first time cruisers. That moment the very first time you board and look around the atrium area and go "WOW!" is the best. :D

Thanks for the well wishes.

From what I understand if you have a shoe, luggage, purse, backpack, etc malfunction, then you must whip out your handy dandy duct tape. Always an over achieving good girl scout ;p

Or maybe that is just OCD.

Is DH serious? What can't you use duct tape for?

For starters, you can use it for anything that needs to be held together, from your balcony door to your dress. Heck, you can make your dress out of duct tape (google it; I'll wait). You can hold things down, hold things up, keep things together, or keep them apart (if they're rubbing too much). And no, I don't have stock on duct tape, inc.

That's funny! Guess we've been lucky to never need it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the well wishes.

From what I understand if you have a shoe, luggage, purse, backpack, etc malfunction, then you must whip out your handy dandy duct tape. Always an over achieving good girl scout ;p

Or maybe that is just OCD.

Hope you don't have to use it, but nice you are prepared. Have fun!!

The last few weeks before my next Princess cruise are the hardest. I have to still check every day to see if an angled balcony has become available (if on the Regal or the Royal and I don't already have one). I have to read every post on CC, especially anything related to the ship I am sailing to see if there is anything new I need to know. I have to double check all the things I have collected to pack. Then find room for my clothes. How many pairs of shoes are too many. Oh I have never shared the tip on what to do if you are stuck in a 4 person cabin with 2 ladders in the closet - make a shoe tree! I have to go to work and pretend I care. And on top of all that I have to try to sleep. Cruising is so stressful.

Soul sister! Love your post! I also check Trip Advisor for each one of the Ports of Call and latest reviews on our hotels we booked pre-cruise. I make up reasons to revisit my collection of notes checking "one more thing" like the five year historical forecast;) Ancient wind speeds and precipitation figures are vital;)

Safe travels, thanks for the smile.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's funny! Guess we've been lucky to never need it

To be honest, I've never needed it on a cruise, either. I do use it a lot in my landlubber life, though, and you never know when it might come in handy. And I'm sure you'll enjoy your cruise with or without it.

I personally have never brought duck tape but have had an occasion when I could have used it. I once had a bag delivered with a seam splitting. Probably from stuffing the bag with all the stuff I didn't need. But because I had put a plastic garbage bags at the bottom and the top of my suit case (thanks Pam) I simply put all my stuff in the bags so my stuff didn't leak out that split.

I don't mind packing stuff I might never use like flash lights; sewing kits first aid kits. I feel prepared and empowered. I might even grab some duck tape for my next cruise.

I appreciate all your excitement. We embark on the STAR on the 28th so will soon get out our packing list. For the first time today in an email from Princess about excursions, we saw ELITE after our name-was fun working toward that level! :D

Wow!! I have found someone as sick as me :D :D hahaha. Being a guy I'm lucky I only take one pair of shoes 👞👞.

This is a great thread! I see some kindred spirits here. I love travel and love planning to travel. I did do an Alaskan cruise on Celebrity 7 years ago, and CC was extraordinarily helpful then. I also cross-referenced Trip Advisor and Googled the heck out of every port. My planning paid off and DH was happy to have a walking guide prior to boarding on where things were, what to do, what not to do and so on. It took months and a new demanding job to wean myself off this site, so had to create a new account for this trip!

I did learn something new on this thread. Duct tape (or is is Duck tape...I'm never sure :-)). I too will bring some in a nice decorative color. I already hit the stuff up at home for lots of things already mentioned here. If you don't have it, you might not think of it.. but if I had some, I think I'll find more than one use.

I am carefully planning my wardrobe for the 15 day Panama Canal cruise and of course, have been watching the weather in all ports for a couple of weeks! LIghtweight, synthetics will be my main go to. They are good in heat, wash and dry easily, are wrinkle-free and pack lightly. But.... sigh, my biggest challenge will be shoes. I'll need workout shoes, walking shoes, sports sandals (2 pair at least!), good flip flops (in several styles), a couple pair of nice dressy sandals (3 formal nights!) and probably a few others that will come to me as I pack. So I guess I will come in somewhere between 7-10 pairs. My DH will likely bring 3 pairs. Sandals, dress shoes and athletic. I have 2 weeks from today left... Yipee :-).

I am so excited for you. But beware -- life will never be the same. When you get back you will spend your time looking for your next cruise! Then it starts all over again!

Exactly. What on earth would us retired folks do with ourselves if we didn't have cruises to plan for?

I booked my upcoming Panama Canal cruise so long ago that when I signed on to my cruise personalizer it said "407 days to departure". Now when I sign on it says "13 days to departure". The time does fly by when you're planning a cruise. I've ready every menu, patter and review I can find. I've watched at least 30 Youtube videos of the ship and ports. This cruise could not possibly be as fun as I'm dreaming it will be. Funny, my DH just asked me AGAIN what day we're leaving. He hasn't given it a thought.

Sackat60, glad I'm not the only one with 7 pairs of shoes lined up at the suitcase.