Those last few weeks...

RMM34667

This cruise was a last minute vacation since we had to cancel our all inclusive Mexico vacation due to an illness. This will be our 13 th cruise and my husband and I decided to make it a no stress vacation. No excursions planned and no dressing for formal night. I am still very excited to go casual. Eat at the buffet or Alfredos at night. I think this will be my most relaxing cruise. Anyone else ever do this?

Our first cruise was on the Dawn Princess way back in 1997. Now after all these years we are sailing on the Coral Princess in precisely 15 days, 4 hours, 5 minutes, and an unknown number of seconds. Pretty much all I think about is cruise-related. The anticipation is one of my favorite parts of the whole cruise experience.

This cruise was a last minute vacation since we had to cancel our all inclusive Mexico vacation due to an illness. This will be our 13 th cruise and my husband and I decided to make it a no stress vacation. No excursions planned and no dressing for formal night. I am still very excited to go casual. Eat at the buffet or Alfredos at night. I think this will be my most relaxing cruise. Anyone else ever do this?

I did a 5 day Bahama where I never got off the ship and a 7 day Regal getting off once. But I won't give up my dinner in the MDR. And formal night is a must. I am thinking of buying the picture package this time. My Mom is 82 and who knows how many cruises we have left. I want us to live it up on this 10 day Royal.

There is one more thing to worry about in the few weeks before a cruise....having an accident or getting sick. Just before we leave for a holiday (cruise or not) I am almost paranoid about driving, walking on uneven ground or keeping an eye out for a cough. Would hate to have to cancel at such a late stage.:(

More on Duct tape. Never leave home without it. Wrap a couple feet of it around a Sharpie and throw it in a bag. You'll need them both. Fix glasses, cracked water bottle, cover a wart, emergency bandage, tourniquet, butterfly strips, snorkel gear, sling, hems, oh the list can go on and on...:)

OP you are hilarious! I second all your sentiments! As for shoes, I always go overboard (no pun intended). I once mentioned to my boss I was taking 13 pairs of shoes on my cruise and he looked at me as if I had lost my mind. And I was like, it's 13 after the major edit.

Exactly! Every cruise I make an effort to cut back on the number of shoes I bring--I'm down to about 7-9 pairs!;p

If you have ever been on a cruise in such rough conditions that drawers and closet doors kept slamming open and shut, you'd have been happy to have duct tape. Then there was the time DH's glasses broke. He looked funny with them taped together, but he could see.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Still struggling with shoe choices! Just bought another pair today of comfy dressier (but not really "dress" shoes). It doesn't help either, that I read on another thread that closed-toed shoes are required for the Chef's Table (something I definitely want to try!).... So since I don't plan to wear running or walking shoes to a nice dinner, there goes another pair! I now have running shoes, walking shoes, 2 pair strappy sandals with heels, 2 pair low heeled dressier sandals, sports sandals, 3 pairs good flip-flops and the dressier closed toes (11 pairs :-|. SIgh... well, I did just pair down my dresses from 7 to 5 and am considering getting that down to 3 (shock!!), but I will also have nice black Palazzo pants and black flippy skirt with a number of mix and match tops (all lightweight synthetic, of course!). Then I need to figure out swim suits, cover ups, shorts, capris, tanks, a lightweight sweater, hoody and a few workout outfits. Thankfully the weather will be warm to hot so lightweight will be the plan. I'm only bringing one pair of jeans and wearing those on. The coldest weather will be when we leave SF. (Yikes! Cruise Personalizer now says 11 days :-))!),

Sorry - for any guys reading! Again my DH will pack very easily and simply and will look great the whole time.

And I love the duct-tape around a sharpie plan!! What I great idea.

Island Princess - SF-FLL, 15 Days, departing 3/15/17

I've never taken duct tape as I would be afraid my DW would use it on my mouth... [emoji1]

And even at home I have to hide it pre-cruise as I - and only I - obsess about researching, planning, preparing, and dreaming and she tires of it ever so quickly... [emoji15]

Oh the travails of one being COCD (Cruise OCD) and one not....... [emoji568]

I take a roll of clear packing tape instead of duct tape. It works great for reinforcing those printed luggage tags. Also use it to slap one on a case of soft drinks to drop off with my luggage and to reinforce it. Not to mention it's a good lint remover.

I always bring a sewing kit never used it. This year I overlooked it when packing. Thanks to Murphy and his law it was really needed on two occasions.

You can never be over prepared or have too many shoes. Remember three or four sandals take the same space as one pair of men's dress shoes.

We were traveling with friends to Mexico last year. Our brand new luggage arrived missing one wheel complete with a six inch hole on the side. Our friend pulled out his duct tape and repaired the hole on the spot. Had he not carried that duct tape, we would have needed to replace the luggage for the trip home. Now, we carry the tape with us on all our trips. BTW...We sent Kenneth Cole luggage a photo of the hole sans wheel and they sent us a replacement.

There is one more thing to worry about in the few weeks before a cruise....having an accident or getting sick. Just before we leave for a holiday (cruise or not) I am almost paranoid about driving, walking on uneven ground or keeping an eye out for a cough. Would hate to have to cancel at such a late stage.:(

My son's MIL tripped in a fabric store Friday and broke her arm. No cruise for her next week, no insurance to cover her loss. When she's up to it she'll investigate any possibility to get anything back.

I walk like a chicken looking for corn on the ground!

I....

You can never be over prepared or have too many shoes. Remember three or four sandals take the same space as one pair of men's dress shoes.

Thank you, Blue&Gold! It's true. My DH size 13's definitely take the same space as at least 3 pairs of my lightweight sandals.:D

My son's MIL tripped in a fabric store Friday and broke her arm. No cruise for her next week, no insurance to cover her loss. When she's up to it she'll investigate any possibility to get anything back.

I walk like a chicken looking for corn on the ground!

That's really bad luck for her. Did she not have travel insurance?

I really like your description of walking like a chicken.

She didn't have travel insurance, and this was the third time she's had to cancel a big trip at the last minute!

The good thing about walking like a chicken is that I won't drown if it rains!

I have found my PEOPLE!!! I'll tell you planning the cruise is just as much fun as going on it :) I have never needed Duct tape but have started bringing it (Mine as Ducks on it :)) Sewing kit and wipes are a must, and this time I'm bringing Towel clips for the lounging. I also bring battery operated tea lights for the bathroom, so much gentler on the eyes at 2am.

I am down to 4 pairs of shoes...athletic, dressy, comfy and pool....I do however bring 8 pairs of sunglasses....'cause of the matching to the outfits :) and at least 4 real books for reading and 4 for trading - and we won't talk about how many are on my kindle.

No TRAVEL INSURANCE!!!! Yikes!!!! Always purchase it for the peace of mind.

33 days...Time to start packing!!

I LOVE the act of planning a cruise. But I have done a last minute cruise, where we skipped formal night, didn't plan for anything and just went with the flow. While it was a drastically different experience we enjoyed it... although my husband does now like the buffet for dinner, while I LOVE the MDR experience. I have had to sacrifice one night on each cruise we have done since that to do the buffet for dinner.

Now it's down to the last COUPLE of weeks... I am all packed. I know it's too early and will probably unpack and do it over next weekend!! And I think I am going to make it with 7 pairs of shoes packed.

Now to just keep my cat off the suitcase. After having to vacuum it twice I have it covered with a towel. Wish I could take him with me as my "therapy" animal!! Well maybe not, I could just image him getting lose on the ship never to be found again!

Now it's down to the last COUPLE of weeks... I am all packed. I know it's too early and will probably unpack and do it over next weekend!! And I think I am going to make it with 7 pairs of shoes packed.

Now to just keep my cat off the suitcase. After having to vacuum it twice I have it covered with a towel. Wish I could take him with me as my "therapy" animal!! Well maybe not, I could just image him getting lose on the ship never to be found again!

Seven pairs of shoes, I'm impressed! That takes a lot of will power.

A handy tip for packing - I bought a luggage rack from Amazon for about $10. Like the ones you would find in a hotel. It makes packing so much more convenient, not having to bend down over and over. Not sure if your cat would be able to clear it or not though.

From the book and movie The Martian: " Not even NASA could improve on duct tape. It should be worshiped as a god"

I was inspired... and bought some for my next cruise. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No lie - this happened tonight. I get home and Mom says I am having problems with my shoes, what are you taking. I told her I had packed 7 pairs. She said that is too many. I informed her that according to cruise critic that was more than reasonable. She said ok that makes me feel better.

Isn't Cruise Critic great.