Problems if my can't come?

ottmar

We are booked on the Gem out of NYC 29th of March. My wife is taking care of her dying sister but urges me to take the cruise. Will there be any problems if only I show up upon boarding?

We also prepaid gratuities, but with only me on board should there be an adjustment?

Just another thought - if her sister isn't in her last couple of weeks when the cruise takes place, she should consider going. This is advice from an RN who is extremely familiar with caregiver stress. It is absolutely essential for the caregiver to get relief sometimes, but culturally we feel guilty doing something "just fun" when a family member is seriously ill. If someone else (maybe another family member or even a friend or paid caregiver) can take care of the sister for the week of the cruise, your wife will come back refreshed and better able to face the challenges of end-of-life care.

If the sister is close to her time and it is seriously possible that she could pass away during the cruise time frame, of course ignore this suggestion. Maybe discuss it with her doctor, who should also be aware of the caregiver's need for relief and can give the best guess as to whether it is safe for your wife to leave her sister for the cruise. If the sister is under hospice care, the hospice nurse would be another expert to consult.

We are booked on the Gem out of NYC 29th of March. My wife is taking care of her dying sister but urges me to take the cruise. Will there be any problems if only I show up upon boarding?

We also prepaid gratuities, but with only me on board should there be an adjustment?

If you have a travel insurance, it is very likely that in this situation it might cover any cancellation fees for your wife (including her part of what you have paid for the cruise itself).

Prayers and comfort to your family;

As for the cruise, please let NCL know before hand the situation. Do not wait until you arrive at check in. I do hope you have insurance, but if you don't letting NCL know will do more toward your getting any refund than just waiting.

We'll are in a similar situation. We are booked for the Breakaway on March 19th. During the past few months, my wife has been taking turns caring for her oldest daughter. Last Sunday, her daughter was placed in Hospice care and may only have a few days before passing.

A few days ago, I called my PCC to see if we could reschedule our cruise to sometime after the funeral. He said that rescheduling would in essence be a cancelation. He said that best thing to do is to wait as long as possible before deciding to cancel, and then AFTER cancelling, write a letter to customer relations. In any event do not become a NO SHOW.

So, at this point, we are taking it a day at a time, and will make a decision on March 17.

In the event that we do cancel, we will cancel together. I will then write a letter to NCL asking for some compensation for a future cruise. We will also contact our credit card travel benefits department to see if we are covered for any compensation.

My thoughts are with you, your wife, and her sister.

We'll are in a similar situation. We are booked for the Breakaway on March 19th. During the past few months, my wife has been taking turns caring for her oldest daughter. Last Sunday, her daughter was placed in Hospice care and may only have a few days before passing.

A few days ago, I called my PCC to see if we could reschedule our cruise to sometime after the funeral. He said that rescheduling would in essence be a cancelation. He said that best thing to do is to wait as long as possible before deciding to cancel, and then AFTER cancelling, write a letter to customer relations. In any event do not become a NO SHOW.

So, at this point, we are taking it a day at a time, and will make a decision on March 17.

In the event that we do cancel, we will cancel together. I will then write a letter to NCL asking for some compensation for a future cruise. We will also contact our credit card travel benefits department to see if we are covered for any compensation.

My thoughts are with you, your wife, and her sister.

Don't expect compensation from NCL, your situation is one of the reasons people chose to purchase trip insurance when they cruise. I always buy it, have never had to use it, but with 7 of us, and having elderly parents, you never know what will happen.

If you are fine with paying what you've paid for just YOU..then if your wife doesn't show, it's not a big deal. You simply cruise alone. They will refund port charges/taxes/grats for HER portion, but the actual fare is not refunded.

Just a thought but is there someone else who could cruise with you - another relative or friend? You could likely do a name change for the second passenger and as you're going to lose your wife's cruise fare under any circumstance the person you bring could have a very inexpensive cruise with you if they agree to pay the DSC and port fees you would recoup if your wife canceled and you cruised alone.

Obviously without knowing your individual circumstance I have no idea if this is potentially palatable but just thought I'd put it out there.

Best of luck in any case.