Disembakation Day NYC

woodards

Hi,

Cruise on Breakaway at the end of March but cant decide what to do the day we get off!

Late flight out of Newark back to UK so have pretty a much a full day to kill (with two large suitcases).

Previously we have booked a day room but they are few and far between for out dates and quite expensive >$200.

Thought about hiring a car and driving down to Jersey shores but not sure whether I am brave enough driving in Manhattan even if it is only to get out of the city!

Recommendations and advice very welcome:)

Hi,

Cruise on Breakaway at the end of March but cant decide what to do the day we get off!

Late flight out of Newark back to UK so have pretty a much a full day to kill (with two large suitcases).

Previously we have booked a day room but they are few and far between for out dates and quite expensive >$200.

Thought about hiring a car and driving down to Jersey shores but not sure whether I am brave enough driving in Manhattan even if it is only to get out of the city!

Recommendations and advice very welcome:)

Check your bags at Schwartz Travel (http://schwartztravel.com/_index.php) and plan a day in New York. Then take a car service or the airport bus (http://web.coachusa.com/coachusaassets/files/94/naerackcard.pdf) from nearby 42nd street to EWR.

Edited by 138east

Check your bags at Schwartz Travel (http://schwartztravel.com/_index.php) and plan a day in New York. Then take a car service or the airport bus (http://web.coachusa.com/coachusaassets/files/94/naerackcard.pdf) from nearby 42nd street to EWR.

Thanks.

Would be paranoid leaving bags unattended before international flight. How does it work do you he a locker or does everything go in a big room?

Thanks.

Would be paranoid leaving bags unattended before international flight. How does it work do you he a locker or does everything go in a big room?

I don't know. There are very few places to store luggage in NYC. This is a reputable business and has excellent reviews - https://www.yelp.com/biz/schwartz-luggage-storage-new-york has some pictures.

My understanding of Schwartz from FT community is that luggages are tagged & checked, you get a claim check (tip - take s smartphone photo first, in case you misplaced it somehow) upon picking it up at the end of your storage period, their hours are extended. Assorted size bags are held & stored, impractical to use lockers - keep valuables, passports & medications, etc, in a smaller personal/day pack (cotton/fleece travel vest with huge storage/inside "security" pockets work for me on "must not lost" items ... as end of March is still chilly & jacket weather). Put a lock or zip tied your luggage for signs of tampering if that will make you feel more comfortable, as long as you aren't keeping anything "of interest" in those bags (or, become an unwilling transport messenger - do a quick recheck before handing your bags over at JFK ... as I would worry more about the luggage "rats" with the TSA badge)

Car service fare with toll & tips should run about $75 USD, competitive and on par with yellow taxi's special flat rate fare to JFK only + toll & tips (20%).

Thanks.

You will be able to open your suitcases and go through them to check them if that was a concern. I think most folks are worried that things would go missing instead of something added. It's the same as keeping your luggage in a hotel storage room after you check out of your hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can someone check in early for a flight at the airport (check in luggage) and then leave the airport to explore? Typically a person doesn't go through security yet when checking into a flight. Or maybe that's just domestic travel?

I do not know about storing luggage but I do have experience driving down to the Jersey Shore. It is a big place with different towns along the coastline. Some are very pretty and safe and some are not where you would want to be if you are unfamiliar with the safe and unsafe areas. One thing to keep in mind is traffic. Since you said March you wouldn't be running into too much beach traffic but the roads in that part of New Jersey can back up for miles if there is an accident or other event. Probably best to think about something closer to the airport.

Do you have a specific town in mind? Our family vacations in Long Beach Island which is around 100 miles from Newark Airport via the Garden State Parkway.I see you are from England. One thing to keep in mind is that we drive on the right side of the road (you may have extensive experience in this so no disrespect). When I was in Bermuda it was disorienting to drive on the left. And the traffic on the Garden State Parkway is fast and unpredictable.

If you're going to rent a car to store luggage, how about driving to Liberty State Park in Jersey City and going out to the Statue of Liberty and/or Ellis Island. You can return either to Liberty State Park in go into lower Manhattan to the 911 Memorial area and return by ferry to Liberty State Park.

If you're interested I can provide more details. IMO you don't want to mess with the Jersey Shore on a Friday night in summer.

• 3 weeks later...

I live by the Jersey Shore and anyone would be taking quite a chance getting back to catch a flight! Not only does the GS Parkway often become the PARKway the bridges and tunnels can have delays in excess of an hour or more. I love my beaches and encourage anyone to visit but unless you go all the way to Wildwood or Cape May, which I don't advice in your time slot, you have to pay for beach tags, parking (if you can find any at that time of day), and tolls. There are beaches in NY that are much closer to the pier though I haven't been there in years.