Annoying Passengers - A waiter's perspective

rambollet

Or the recipient ;)

While I agree that most phone conversation isn't mostly likely necessary we shouldn't assume that. We have no idea what is going on in people's lives. If I have something serious happening then I'm not being 'un nice' but am dealing with priorities.

Most of the issues in the link aren't likely on cruises but on land.

I agree with you....all I and my table mates ask (whether at sea or on land) is that you excuse yourself from the table to deal with your serious or not so serious matter.

I have never been successful in asking for that. At best, I was able to order without sides, but not smaller portions.

Did the waiter give you a hard time? Several waiters have suggested it to us on previous cruises. If that happens again, speak to the matre'd.

I have never been successful in asking for that. At best, I was able to order without sides, but not smaller portions.

I alluded to that last night, but it was actually one of my late mother's biggest beefs with the cruise lines she used (mostly Celebrity). The cruise lines' answer to every special request in the dining room seemed to be to bring her and her husband another plate, protein plus sides, even if all they wanted was just one of the sides. It made it seem that the kitchen was aiming to just produce a thousand exact copies of each plate and then bring passengers as many plates as necessary to satisfy their requests.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

It made it seem that the kitchen was aiming to just produce a thousand exact copies of each plate

This is exactly what they are told to do!

There is a photo on the kitchen wall of every plate that leaves the area.....and what is on the plate should look exactly like that photo! The staff is told it should.

While I understand not wanting to waste food or wanting something special, the kitchen staff is trying to prepare meals for 2,000 people all at the same time. Special requests means additional time spent and delays (the waiter has to make the request, kitchen staff has to acknowledge the request, make the special plate and set it aside for the waiter).....not a huge amount of time, but who among us hasn't see this same scenario played out on the highways (resulting in a backup for miles).

I'm certainly not suggesting that if you have a special request you shouldn't do so....it is you vacation and they are most likely going to accommodate the request.....but do understand that it puts a 'bump' in their routine.

This baffles me; I take loads of photos ... usually of people but frequently of my food, too. I can't say I've ever taken pictures of someone else's food OR gotten in the way of someone eating. Our cruise in 10/2018 will be the first cruise I've been on since going as a teen with my family. I love the presentation that the chef's provide. I take pictures for myself or my social media.

The question: why is this a big problem (and by viewing the many angry posts it appears to be). Am I missing something? I certainly don't do it to make people upset.

Don't worry about making people upset......if you go by these boards if you do A it will upset someone, if you DON'T do A, it will upset someone!!!!

Have fun, be courteous and let the chips fall where they may!

I alluded to that last night, but it was actually one of my late mother's biggest beefs with the cruise lines she used (mostly Celebrity). The cruise lines' answer to every special request in the dining room seemed to be to bring her and her husband another plate, protein plus sides, even if all they wanted was just one of the sides. It made it seem that the kitchen was aiming to just produce a thousand exact copies of each plate and then bring passengers as many plates as necessary to satisfy their requests.

Reading this makes me wonder if she ever took a galley tour.

If she did, she should have realized that most of the dishes are already pre-plated.

It makes extra work and holds up the service if they need to stop what they are doing and start cutting up food to make a smaller portion for someone, or re-arrange food by taking a side from one plate and moving it to another plate.

If you want more of something, it is much faster and easier for the waiter to grab a pre-prepared plate of food, bring it to you, and have you eat as much or as little of it as you want.

I think such passenger misconceptions may be why they continually offer galley tours, hoping to give passengers realistic expectations by letting us see for ourselves how the main dining room food is prepared banquet style.

It is not like the specialty restaurants where they personalize dishes for you, although the main dining room waiters deserve a lot of credit for attempting to do that in many cases.

I will add that Celebrity really is very good about personalizing dishes for people with special dietary needs, but their special meals are planned in advance so they don't interrupt the flow of the regular meal service.

Edited by varoo

It is possible to order an entrée in appetizer size. That way you get to taste more than one entrée.

I'd love this. Will try on our next cruise. Works much better for my diet. :)

Don't worry about making people upset......if you go by these boards if you do A it will upset someone, if you DON'T do A, it will upset someone!!!!

Have fun, be courteous and let the chips fall where they may!

Exactly!!

I really do not understand why anyone would get upset over someone else taking a photo of their own plate of food. Now the person who said someone else was taking photos of THEIR food, I understand that. I wouldn't dream of taking a photo of someone else's food, especially a stranger's...but have occasionally taken a photo of my husband's food and he doesn't mind. :)

As I've gotten older I have begun caring less and less about what strangers think of me. If it bothers someone, a stranger, that I take a photo of my own plate of food it doesn't bother me that they are bothered. :) I really don't see the reason for it bothering anyone.

This is exactly what they are told to do!

There is a photo on the kitchen wall of every plate that leaves the area.....and what is on the plate should look exactly like that photo! The staff is told it should.

While I understand not wanting to waste food or wanting something special, the kitchen staff is trying to prepare meals for 2,000 people all at the same time. Special requests means additional time spent and delays (the waiter has to make the request, kitchen staff has to acknowledge the request, make the special plate and set it aside for the waiter).....not a huge amount of time, but who among us hasn't see this same scenario played out on the highways (resulting in a backup for miles).

I'm certainly not suggesting that if you have a special request you shouldn't do so....it is you vacation and they are most likely going to accommodate the request.....but do understand that it puts a 'bump' in their routine.

Reading this makes me wonder if she ever took a galley tour.

If she did, she should have realized that most of the dishes are already pre-plated.

It makes extra work and holds up the service if they need to stop what they are doing and start cutting up food to make a smaller portion for someone, or re-arrange food by taking a side from one plate and moving it to another plate.

If you want more of something, it is much faster and easier for the waiter to grab a pre-prepared plate of food, bring it to you, and have you eat as much or as little of it as you want.

I think such passenger misconceptions may be why they continually offer galley tours, hoping to give passengers realistic expectations by letting us see for ourselves how the main dining room food is prepared banquet style.

It is not like the specialty restaurants where they personalize dishes for you, although the main dining room waiters deserve a lot of credit for attempting to do that in many cases.

I will add that Celebrity really is very good about personalizing dishes for people with special dietary needs, but their special meals are planned in advance so they don't interrupt the flow of the regular meal service.

Makes sense to me!

I have travelled a lot and have photo books / albums going back to the 1960s.

The one that people visiting want to see, and the one that shows a bit of serious wear is my only collection that isn't really about a "trip"....

It's dedicated to pictures of cruise ship food. The most delectable presentations I've been served all collected under one cover.

I'm working of volume two!

hrelpg.jpg

qnl2t1.jpg

What a nice idea! I could drool over that on those long winter evenings between cruises. [emoji39]

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

It is possible to order an entrée in appetizer size. That way you get to taste more than one entrée.

It's all served up in an assembly line fashion. Doing a smaller entrée would throw the whole system off. You could ask for a few more apps to take the place of an entrée. We done that when we wanted to try sampling just the apps. Between your app & entrée request a sorbet "intermezzo". It kind of cleanses the palate before the main course. We've never had the request refused, but I suggest for simplicity, to ask on the first night, but have them start serving it by the second night. This gives them some time to prepare for you. First night is always pretty hectic,

Exactly!!

I really do not understand why anyone would get upset over someone else taking a photo of their own plate of food. Now the person who said someone else was taking photos of THEIR food, I understand that. I wouldn't dream of taking a photo of someone else's food, especially a stranger's...but have occasionally taken a photo of my husband's food and he doesn't mind. :)

As I've gotten older I have begun caring less and less about what strangers think of me. If it bothers someone, a stranger, that I take a photo of my own plate of food it doesn't bother me that they are bothered. :) I really don't see the reason for it bothering anyone.

I'm sure you won't mind having flashes go off in your face while someone's taking pics of their food, would you now? Do you feel courtesy is a one way or two way street? It's pax like you that certainly can make a dinner less enjoyable for others. Please ASK first!!

In your opinion it's not polite, doesn't mean it's true though.

For the record, on our first cruise on the Disney Magic I didn't take a single photo of any of our dinners. I was too worried about "what people might think." Then when I got home and had the photos printed and put into the album I was so disappointed that I didn't have any food photos, so from then on I decided to take photos of our food if I wanted to and if someone didn't like it that was their problem, not mine. :) I love seeing photos of cruise food, and especially enjoy reading cruise reviews where there are a lot of photos like that.

Do remember that you making it MY problem would result in your camera being taken away. If you wish to bother other tablemates by taking pics of your food, then get a table for 2. If my meal is "disturbed" by others' insensitivity, then trust me, their meal will get "ruined" by MY response!

Please ASK first!!

Ask who?

The people at your table? all the tables surrounding you? The waiter? The maitre'd? The entire dining room? The Captain?

And do I have to ask if I'm taking just a regular "people" photo not a "food photo"?

And while we're at it, what about asking if my conversation levels are too loud? Been at many dinners where those seated nearby were so loud it was unbearable. Now that's a real problem. Loud boorish diners, not a tine iphone flash

It's all served up in an assembly line fashion. Doing a smaller entrée would throw the whole system off. You could ask for a few more apps to take the place of an entrée. We done that when we wanted to try sampling just the apps. Between your app & entrée request a sorbet "intermezzo". It kind of cleanses the palate before the main course. We've never had the request refused, but I suggest for simplicity, to ask on the first night, but have them start serving it by the second night. This gives them some time to prepare for you. First night is always pretty hectic,

I do this when I find more than one appetizer that appeals to me. I figure if I order 2 appetizers (or even 3 apps if both soup and salad look appealing, and one more tasty app selection) there is no room for an entrée, and I often skip dessert. I find the desserts usually look much better than they taste, but I do favor a nice crème brulee.

I'm sure you won't mind having flashes go off in your face while someone's taking pics of their food, would you now? Do you feel courtesy is a one way or two way street? It's pax like you that certainly can make a dinner less enjoyable for others. Please ASK first!!

There's no need whatsoever to use flash. And I will continue to take photos of my food thanks. And would never consider it necessary or appropriate to ask you first. We try to have a table for two and my thoughts are confirmed. But unfortunately sometimes we are not successful.

Do remember that you making it MY problem would result in your camera being taken away. If you wish to bother other tablemates by taking pics of your food, then get a table for 2. If my meal is "disturbed" by others' insensitivity, then trust me, their meal will get "ruined" by MY response!

Sorry, I should have clarified, I do NOT use flash to take a photo of MY plate of food, nor do I use flash if I take one of my HUSBAND'S plate of food. And we no longer sit at large tables with strangers for dinner, we MUCH prefer it either be just the two of us, or family when we're traveling with our adult children and/or DH's sister/husband. And if you're sitting at a nearby table and my taking a photo of MY OWN PLATE OF FOOD somehow disturbs you, that's your problem not MINE.

And I really don't understand your second response. I wouldn't be making it YOUR problem, YOU would be doing that all by yourself. Good grief! Get a grip, or maybe take an anger management class. Wow!

If my meal is "disturbed" by others' insensitivity, then trust me, their meal will get "ruined" by MY response!
Doesn't that just lower you to the level you consider to be unacceptably base? :confused:

I have a question .

Who would be the member of staff removing the camera ?

Don't think any Maitre d would.

If anyone tried to take away my camera other than an authorised member of staff then security would be involved. Not that I would be taking pics of food.

Concerned at the implied violence in this ( & other posts by this poster) post.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I worry whenever I see anyone overwhelmingly invested in any expectations for which there is a good chance they may not be satisfied. It's a recipe for bad things.

Ask who?

The people at your table? all the tables surrounding you? The waiter? The maitre'd? The entire dining room? The Captain?

And do I have to ask if I'm taking just a regular "people" photo not a "food photo"?

And while we're at it, what about asking if my conversation levels are too loud? Been at many dinners where those seated nearby were so loud it was unbearable. Now that's a real problem. Loud boorish diners, not a tine iphone flash

The other pax at my table. This IS the reason we book two top tables, to avoid inconsiderate dolts like some of thses poaters.

I'm sure you won't mind having flashes go off in your face while someone's taking pics of their food, would you now?
Yvonne didn't say anything about flashes. It seems you're making a lot of assumptions both about what people are saying and about the people that you're conversing with.

The other pax at my table. This IS the reason we book two top tables, to avoid inconsiderate dolts like some of thses poaters.
You are talking about mutual consideration, I think we all can get behind that, but here you are violating the rules of these boards by calling other people "dolts". How do you reconcile the two?

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I have a question .

Who would be the member of staff removing the camera ?

Don't think any Maitre d would.

If anyone tried to take away my camera other than an authorised member of staff then security would be involved. Not that I would be taking pics of food.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you were taking pics at my table & bothering me(flashes) I would ask politely that you stop. If you did not, then I would have to take measures to ensure you do. waiter, Maître D or myself if need be. I just get amazed at people's response: "Well, that's their problem, not mine" When it becomes my problem, it will then become yours.