Annoying Passengers - A waiter's perspective

rambollet

I agree with you.

Although I never waited tables, I was a postal window clerk for a few years. There were instances of rude customers who expected me to wait on them while they were talking on their cell phones. That made it difficult for me to help them, because I needed their full attention.

So I'm sure there are a TON of rude people out there, but I'd hope that they are greatly outweighed by the nice folk. Anyone in a customer service role has their horror stores - and there is a special place in heaven for the good ones!

BUT....

1 - Sometimes I want to try something on the menu (be adventurous), but am not sure I will like it. I don't want to hold up my table by having to order another appetizer/entree, so I order two at once. **I** view it as being considerate of my fellow table-mates. I don't do it all the time, but to think that I'm being a pig isn't correct.

3 - Maybe my birthday isn't ON that day....maybe it's close and I want to celebrate with my family. What's wrong with that?

4 - I know how hard waiting tables is and try to acknowledge my wait(er/ess) with a "hello" and a smile.....but maybe I was in the throngs of a conversation when you introduced yourself and didn't want to lose my thought. I blurted out "Can I have a Diet Coke" so you could go on about your business and I wouldn't forget what I was saying (at my age that happens - a LOT!).

5 - food photos.....how may times has someone on CC posted pictures for the foodies out there and everyone said "Oh thank you! I am thrilled to know what is offered"? This cruise food is new and exciting to me.....I want to show off to my friends after the cruise. Ya never know, they might be your next customer!

8 & 9 - these are appropriate for land based restaurants, but when was the last time you saw anyone talking on their phone on a cruise? And just why do I need a pen at dinner on a cruise?

10 - Auto-tipping has all but made this a non-issue. These boards are full of people chastising others for removing the auto-tips. I'm guessing it is the exception rather than the rule.

11 - Who really picks up their plate/glass and hands it to the waiter? Not sure how often this really happens.

12 - Free stuff?? Like a free pen or like a free meal? I know that there are some out there that will complain about everything just to get a free <something>, but I'll bet they are few and far between (including the one-and-done rants that we see from time to time)

I know there will be some who will disagree with me on these points. I totally understand.....but this is my opinion.....yours may be different...but be nice when responding please!

I agree with you.

Although I never waited tables, I was a postal window clerk for a few years. There were instances of rude customers who expected me to wait on them while they were talking on their cell phones. That made it difficult for me to help them, because I needed their full attention.

I agree with you about annoying people who just cannot seem to separate themselves from their phone for even a short time. However, in fairness, even more annoying is that every single time I have ever been to a post office, I've been faced with incredibly long line, slow service, and window clerks who didnt seem to care. Just sayin'.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I worked retail for almost 40 years, I have never waited tables, thank goodness, for those who have, you deserve medals. But as Cell phones became more a necessity, more and more people do continue their conversations as they are at the POS. When cashiers are questioning them as per company policy, they are always ignored (at least I was) when completing the sale and saying thanks you to the customer a lot of times I would get a dirty look and the bag snatched away. Thank goodness on cruise ships this doesn't happen, but the rudeness prevails

On cruises and better restaurants, we always engage the wait staff and try to get their opinion on our selections. Most times it's turns out to be a satisfactory dining experience and, thanks to the wait staff, we have avoided kitchen pushed "specials". Treating wait staff as slaves usually ends in a poor experience. It's amazing how many customers feel compelled to have a superiority relationship at the dinner table. We are always delighted to leave those misguided souls behind when we leave the cruise or onshore, at a restaurant and relish the fact we don't live among these little Napoleons.

Owning two hospitality businesses (a b&b and boutique hotel) and having worked as a waiter during college I can totally relate to the OP. Bottom line is this: treat others the way you want to be treated. Just because they are wearing a uniform or are standing behind a register/counter does not give anyone the right to act rude and inconsiderate. For those people that still think "the customer is always right" needs to get with the times: many businesses in the service/hospitality industry will do their best to make a customer happy. Mistreat their employees and all bets are off.

But as Cell phones became more a necessity...

The only place where a cell phone is a NECESSITY is a transplant surgeon who is waiting for an organ to become available (or other life-or-death situation). Most times those talking on the phone are carrying on a 'chat' which could easily be paused to interact with the person (who is helping them).

We have become a self-absorbed society.....and that is sad. Moral of this thread.....be nice to one another!!!

Owning two hospitality businesses (a b&b and boutique hotel) and having worked as a waiter during college I can totally relate to the OP. Bottom line is this: treat others the way you want to be treated. Just because they are wearing a uniform or are standing behind a register/counter does not give anyone the right to act rude and inconsiderate. For those people that still think "the customer is always right" needs to get with the times: many businesses in the service/hospitality industry will do their best to make a customer happy. Mistreat their employees and all bets are off.

BINGO has been called!!!

I find the post interesting, as well as the responses. My list of observations during the MDR dinners.

Cons: Anyone on a cell phone

Loud & obnoxious group tables

Inappropriate behavior & dress for the MDR

Whiners who always complain about the quality of food & service

Pros: My experience on Celebrity has been enjoying good service & complimenting the

servers on what a fine job they are doing.

When unsure of an entree to order, ask your server for their recommendation. They

are always right on.

We have always left the waiter & their assistant a nice tip by the end of the voyage. This includes always pre-paying our gratitudes & being thankful for the wonderful service provided.

Finally the ship is not our destination, however the ports of call are most important to us. We feel privileged to go on holiday & take advantage of what each ship offers. Being able to enjoy all of our free time & fellow passengers is important, without the worries of preparing meals, washing dishes, cleaning rooms, & handling our luggage. Go with the flow, be nice, & enjoy the best times of your life.

I know a few people who treat waiters as servants. I know one person who visits the same restaurant every week and can't tell you the name of a single waiter. I always advise new cruisers to get to know those who serve them. Ask about their country and educational background. You might be surprised by their responses. I had an Asst. Waiter on Solstice who was an MD in Russia who was working on the ship to see the world. Her research grant ended and she just wanted to take a break. I spoke to a new Gelato server on Reflection and learned that she was a lawyer. Told the Captain about her and he responded that now there are 7 lawyers on the staff. One Cleaner from Romania was certified to repair jet engines. Many crew are Civil Engineers and hold advanced degrees. These are hard working people who deserve our deepest respect.

Dealing with the public is always a challenge. Our DS was a pharmacy technician. He often came home with horrible customer stories. Some didn't have their insurance cards, some 'lost' their medications repeatedly and wanted the pharmacy to replace them without doctor's orders, some were clearly stoned, some were merely rude - wanting their products immediately -- even if the doctor's order hadn't been received yet. He eventually got a job as a cell tower mechanic to get away from the retail public. :eek: He didn't have the temperament to deal with all that.

I honestly think the crew knows who has pre-paid their gratuity and who hasn't before the cruise ends. I always pre-pay the gratuity as it is one less thing for me to worry about. And I have noticed we get wonderful service on the cruises both Celebrity and the other one...

The best way to compliment is serve, or any crew member,is to complete a comment card. On some cruise lines, comments moves the server to a higher tier for gratuities and more desirable sections (more tables).

So I'm sure there are a TON of rude people out there, but I'd hope that they are greatly outweighed by the nice folk. Anyone in a customer service role has their horror stores - and there is a special place in heaven for the good ones!

BUT....

1 - Sometimes I want to try something on the menu (be adventurous), but am not sure I will like it. I don't want to hold up my table by having to order another appetizer/entree, so I order two at once. **I** view it as being considerate of my fellow table-mates. I don't do it all the time, but to think that I'm being a pig isn't correct.

3 - Maybe my birthday isn't ON that day....maybe it's close and I want to celebrate with my family. What's wrong with that?

4 - I know how hard waiting tables is and try to acknowledge my wait(er/ess) with a "hello" and a smile.....but maybe I was in the throngs of a conversation when you introduced yourself and didn't want to lose my thought. I blurted out "Can I have a Diet Coke" so you could go on about your business and I wouldn't forget what I was saying (at my age that happens - a LOT!).

5 - food photos.....how may times has someone on CC posted pictures for the foodies out there and everyone said "Oh thank you! I am thrilled to know what is offered"? This cruise food is new and exciting to me.....I want to show off to my friends after the cruise. Ya never know, they might be your next customer!

8 & 9 - these are appropriate for land based restaurants, but when was the last time you saw anyone talking on their phone on a cruise? And just why do I need a pen at dinner on a cruise?

10 - Auto-tipping has all but made this a non-issue. These boards are full of people chastising others for removing the auto-tips. I'm guessing it is the exception rather than the rule.

11 - Who really picks up their plate/glass and hands it to the waiter? Not sure how often this really happens.

12 - Free stuff?? Like a free pen or like a free meal? I know that there are some out there that will complain about everything just to get a free <something>, but I'll bet they are few and far between (including the one-and-done rants that we see from time to time)

I know there will be some who will disagree with me on these points. I totally understand.....but this is my opinion.....yours may be different...but be nice when responding please!

I agree with some of your comments. Also, there is no indication whatever that this "article" was written by a server on a cruise line. In fact, there is no indication whatever who wrote it. Frankly, it just sounds to me as though someone wrote a list of things they personally think are unforgiveable and then gave it a title to make it seem as though it is written from the viewpoint of a server.

Do I agree with some of it, yes. All of it, no. Some of these items are contrary to my experience and some are just silly. For instance, why on earth would someone "steal" a server's pen. If this happens, it's just a mistake and there are polite and courteous non-accusing ways to ask for it back. Further, on a cruise ship a server never walks away and leaves his pen with the passenger as in a restaurant.

I don't take articles without an author seriously and neither should anyone else.

I cannot agree with the first. Yes sometimes we order multiple entries. It is more work, but we do the same in land based restaurant too and nobody complains.

Tipping... well, tips are automatically charged, and yes, we give extra sometimes but not all the time. I am sure they make more than $100 with automatic tipping.

I am pleased to see this topic discussed. We are always gracious to our wait staff, and they appreciate it so much. It's a win-win for both the server and us, because it enhances our experience and they are ALWAYS happy to share about their families and countries.

The original link may not be 100% accurate, but it makes some very good points. On our last cruise on the Eclipse, one waiter felt so comfortable with us, that he shared some very rude experiences he had with a certain demographic on that sailing. We all had a good laugh over it, and I wondered what would have happened if his assumption was incorrect that we were not a part of that group. LOL.

As another poster said, many of these employees are professionals. They are not "below" us in any way. I think the golden rule applies here "do unto others as you would have others do unto you."

I'm a newbie to cruising, just one prior cruise.

I don't want to look like a gluten, but, everyone I know who has cruised all tell me to order two starters and two entrees in case there is something you just don't like, I was told that if you order a second entree after your first that it may be a wait to get it.

Especially the lobster, tails are not very big.

Any opinions are welcome.