Annoying Passengers - A waiter's perspective

rambollet

I'm a newbie to cruising, just one prior cruise.

I don't want to look like a gluten, but, everyone I know who has cruised all tell me to order two starters and two entrees in case there is something you just don't like, I was told that if you order a second entree after your first that it may be a wait to get it.

Especially the lobster, tails are not very big.

Any opinions are welcome.

Order two!

You are 1000000% right in that you will have to wait (as will everyone on your table) if you order a second after the first!

I don't think the article is correct in this (and other) regards!

You'd think the writer of the article could proofread his work. Or, at least pass it on to a coworker to proofread. It's almost unreadable starting with the first issue: "ordering multiply main courses" and "This is brought to Maitre D attention and they try to make this torsos happy." If you want a job in journalism, be professional.

I'm a newbie to cruising, just one prior cruise.

I don't want to look like a gluten, but, everyone I know who has cruised all tell me to order two starters and two entrees in case there is something you just don't like, I was told that if you order a second entree after your first that it may be a wait to get it.

Especially the lobster, tails are not very big.

Any opinions are welcome.

Another thing to remember is that you CAN order two appetizers/soups and have one for your appetizer and one for your soup!

Don't be afraid of having a good time or enjoying your meals due to some silly article! You are on vacation.....enjoy!

You'd think the writer of the article could proofread his work. Or, at least pass it on to a coworker to proofread. It's almost unreadable starting with the first issue: "ordering multiply main courses" and "This is brought to Maitre D attention and they try to make this torsos happy." If you want a job in journalism, be professional.

Agreed! I don't think the article is correct/appropriate on many levels.....grammar being among them! (but then again.....I'm not the epitome of grammar/spelling myself!! ;p)

Yes there are some curmudgeon cruisers who may be rude to the wait staff. But apparently there are also whinny waiters.;)

But I did agree one point the waiter made. What's up with the documenting all the courses of each and every meal with photos? Is seams that these snap happy food photo junkies just came across their first ever meal that didn't consist of Kraft Mac & Cheese.:rolleyes:

I'm with all the others who say follow the golden rule and you shouldn't have any problems with a server. But often I sail to celebrate a birthday that doesn't necessarily fall ON the cruise due to many reasons. If we want (and pay for) a cake then, who cares? Now if I'm trying to scam a free cake, well that's another story...

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I guess I too don't understand why someone would want to 'scam free cake'.....the cakes/pies/desserts they offer are WAAAAY better than the paid-for cake anyway!

Or.....maybe the writer of the article has never been a waiter on Celebrity.....since we all KNOW that the passengers on X are the kindest, most polite ever!! :cool:

The only place where a cell phone is a NECESSITY is a transplant surgeon who is waiting for an organ to become available (or other life-or-death situation). Most times those talking on the phone are carrying on a 'chat' which could easily be paused to interact with the person (who is helping them).

We have become a self-absorbed society.....and that is sad. Moral of this thread.....be nice to one another!!!

Or the recipient ;)

While I agree that most phone conversation isn't mostly likely necessary we shouldn't assume that. We have no idea what is going on in people's lives. If I have something serious happening then I'm not being 'un nice' but am dealing with priorities.

Most of the issues in the link aren't likely on cruises but on land.

Order two!

You are 1000000% right in that you will have to wait (as will everyone on your table) if you order a second after the first!

I don't think the article is correct in this (and other) regards!

I have occasionally ordered something I didn't like for entree. The wait staff were exceptionally quick to get me a replacement so I could dine with my companions.

While I agree that most phone conversation isn't mostly likely necessary we shouldn't assume that. We have no idea what is going on in people's lives. If I have something serious happening then I'm not being 'un nice' but am dealing with priorities.

If you're too absorbed to be nice to someone helping you, then you should not bother going through the line until you're able to not be rude.

There are times that I don't eat soup, salad, appetizer, bread, or dessert at dinner, so I resent the comment that if I order two entrees at those times, I am a pig. Perhaps the cruiselines should write on the menus that while we are allowed to order more than one entree, if we should do so, our waiter will think that we are pigs.

I think i'ts a shame that if we do something that the cruiseline clearly allows (ordering more than one entree), the waiter will judge us poorly and call us names. I don't like being called names for doing something that is allowed, and even encouraged at times, as posted above.

Yes there are some curmudgeon cruisers who may be rude to the wait staff. But apparently there are also whinny waiters.;)

But I did agree one point the waiter made. What's up with the documenting all the courses of each and every meal with photos? Is seams that these snap happy food photo junkies just came across their first ever meal that didn't consist of Kraft Mac & Cheese.:rolleyes:

Not really. I am not a food junkie. I don't even eat junk food at all.

But if I decide to write a review, and I do it time to time on various forums, then I take photos especially if I see something interesting.

I don't use flash though and don't do it in front of waiter.

On a different note... waiters and assistants are not always perfect themselves. After four great experiences with X, we had not so good one on Silhuette. Our waiter was not visible and not very knowledgeable and his assistant looked so unhappy and slow, made mistakes almost every meal.

My experience has been that if I can't decide between two dishes on a cruise ship and ask which is better, the waiter often voluntarily brings me both.

The writer of that article appears to be someone whose native language is not English, so I would not criticize him for his use of language, but rather for his attitude.

It appears from all his complaints that he is easily annoyed and does not enjoy being a waiter at all; someone who would probably be happier in a job that does not involve dealing with the public.

The best waiters tend to be easy going, good-natured people who genuinely enjoy making their customers happy and are quite tolerant of the human foibles and faux pas of others.

Edited by varoo

On our last B2B on the Millennium, even though we were eating in the Blu, we had the same waiter and assistant waiter for all but one or two dinners. Over the course of four weeks together we became almost like family, sharing pictures of our children and grandchildren with each other. After learning that our waiter's 7-year old daughter was a fan of Mickey Mouse, we made a point of picking up a MM souvenir while in Hong Kong to have him take home to his daughter. He was meeting up with his family for an overnight in Bali on the cruise right after ours. Our wonderful relationship made our dinners one of the highlights of our cruise.

In contrast, when I was half-heartily semi-apologizing for ordering two servings of lobster, our waiter confided with us that one night there was a belligerent table of eight that ordered five appetizers and two entrees each. They were known throughout the ship to be trouble makers and the maître d' had to be called to tell them that they were not allowed to pour vodka from their flasks into their wine glasses! With the permission of his boss, the maître d', our waiter actually brought all 40 appetizers to the table at once! Followed soon after with the 16 entrees.

Personally, I believe a great relationship with your waiter makes a perfect ending to the day - along with a cappuccino and after dinner drink.

If you're too absorbed to be nice to someone helping you, then you should not bother going through the line until you're able to not be rude.

Well there's that but sometimes things happen at bad times.

Well I quite understand when one orders two main courses- as long as one eat´s them both I am fine with that- each his own- but just picking and sending the rest back to go to waste- that is IMO a terrible waste of food and resources! There so much food wasted on cruises already. Read what the menue says and describes- ask you waiter for further info, if your not sure!

Same goes for buffets- some load the plates up until the ice cream spills over the roast chicken- awefull!

Well there's that but sometimes things happen at bad times.

Then step out of line, leave the table, etc, and deal with that "something". Then get back to what you were doing when you are done. It is rude, period, to treat someone as if they aren't important enough to give full attention to when they are making an effort to assist you, especially when you have gone to them for that assistance in the first place.

Well I quite understand when one orders two main courses- as long as one eat´s them both I am fine with that- each his own- but just picking and sending the rest back to go to waste- that is IMO a terrible waste of food and resources! There so much food wasted on cruises already. Read what the menue says and describes- ask you waiter for further info, if your not sure!

Same goes for buffets- some load the plates up until the ice cream spills over the roast chicken- awefull!

I don't need you, or anyone else, to lecture me about how much food I order or put on my plate. That is my business, not yours. I find it arrogant of people who seem to think that they are of a higher moral caliber than the rest of us and insist on telling us how to eat. How much I do or do not waste is between me and the cruise line.

Stay the heck out of my plate. :mad:

Then step out of line, leave the table, etc, and deal with that "something". Then get back to what you were doing when you are done. It is rude, period, to treat someone as if they aren't important enough to give full attention to when they are making an effort to assist you, especially when you have gone to them for that assistance in the first place.

Never said I did that. So no lecture needed. But I also don't presume to know the reasons why people might do this.

I wonder if it is possible to order an entree with two fish/meat parts from two entrees and no sides. I never eat sides. This way there won't be any leftovers.

Never said I did that. So no lecture needed. But I also don't presume to know the reasons why people might do this.

I was using the "you" as referenced to those who do this, not you specifically. My apologies if that did not come across.

But, I also don't presume that the majority of people have a good reason for doing this. Just a few hours ago in the grocery line, a father with his young daughter was in front of me. The entire time he was in line, and even as he walked away, he was talking to a friend about the latest sports scores and activities. Not once did he utter a single word to the clerk ringing up his order, and I don't even think he made eye contact with her. His daughter was handling much the magazines and candy displayed in the racks along the checkout aisle, and not surprisingly, not once did he tell her to not touch things.

It was unpleasant for the clerk, for his daughter, and for me who had the constant drone of his voice in my ears the entire time he was there.

Yeah, let's not presume what his reason was to be on his phone instead of interacting with the clerk who was assisting him. ;p

Had to smile that the "cell phone/texting" issue was relatively high on the waiter's list. Personally, if we are at a table with anyone who enjoys texting or chatting on his/her phone...we will not be at that table a 2nd time. We have no time for folks that think its appropriate to be using phones at the table (unless there is a very good reason). Many folks think its fine, but we are old fashioned and think its appropriate to pay attention and socialize with your table mates...not with your phone. It has only happened to us one time on a cruise...and we had the Maitre'd move us for the next meal.

For those into using their phone while at the table...we would suggest that is simply being rude to everyone else at the table. If you must use the phone, simply excuse yourself and go out of the dining room to do your thing. Otherwise...learn some proper manners.

Hank