Annoying Passengers - A waiter's perspective

rambollet

It is always amazing to read the diverse viewpoints on CC. I don't pay a lot of attention to what others think, say or do, but I respect myself enough not to cause a fuss, especially in a restaurant. Realizing that you are not the center of the universe and that you have not walked in the shoes of others, it is very important not to be too critical. Most importantly, you are on a cruise to vacation, so just using common sense makes lots of sense to me. Unfortunately, what is common sense to some is ridiculous to others. IMHO, the Golden Rule is still an important guideline, especially in today's fast-paced and entitled world. There really is no place for rudeness; it is a learned behavior and causes many more issues and makes the situation much worse without solving anything...

Edited by Lastdance

Nonsense.

First, I only dine with those that would not have an objection since I don't dine with strangers.

Second, a snap shot with a camera phone takes a second or two.

Third, once everyone is served everyone can begin eating, they don't have to wait for a picture to be taken.

And exactly how would it obstruct the waiters? Even with a flash, it bothers no one. A person sits at their seat, points their camera at their plate and snaps. How exactly does that bother you or anyone else? I'm not a picture taker.

This is complaining just for the sake of complaining and it is confrontational.

Why in the name of God would anyone want to take a photo of their dinner? Beggars belief.

Most importantly, you are on a cruise to vacation, so just using common sense makes lots of sense to me. Unfortunately, what is common sense to some is ridiculous to others. IMHO, the Golden Rule is still an important guideline, especially in today's fast-paced and entitled world.
It isn't that what is common sense to some is ridiculous to others. Rather, there is no such thing as "common" sense. Reasonable people disagree about certain things. The Golden Rule is an important guideline, but what one might be happy to be done unto them others may not.

These differences are why it is so important for HOSTS to set the standard, to apply the standard by their actions and inactions, and for guests to defer to the hosts' determination of the standard, both in terms of their own conduct and especially what conduct they​ expect from others. If the host doen't think some conduct is worthy of note or of consequence, then better should we as guests.

It isn't that what is common sense to some is ridiculous to others. Rather, there is no such thing as "common" sense. Reasonable people disagree about certain things. The Golden Rule is an important guideline, but what one might be happy to be done unto them others may not.

These differences are why it is so important for HOSTS to set the standard, to apply the standard by their actions and inactions, and for guests to defer to the hosts' determination of the standard, both in terms of their own conduct and especially what conduct they​ expect from others. If the host don't think some conduct is worthy of note or of consequence, then better should we as guests.

I would totally agree that HOSTS need a lot of practical training with do's and don'ts, but even at that ships have diverse cultures and one size does not fit all. I don't expect everyone to use the GR the exact same way; however, it has lasted for over 2,000 years, though the intent is different for many. Again, behaviors are learned whether positive or negative or? Yes, the "common" in common sense is not all that common, but I would venture to guess that you somewhat understand my point. Many of my friends share similar standards of behavior. We are all human beings who have lived our lives through various lenses. If we were all the same, life would really be boring...but a policy of what to do and how to behave is of the utmost importance when working in customer service areas.:) Sometimes our choice of words don't always project intended meanings and without face to face and body language, a lot is missed in translation.

I have only encountered one person whom I felt was bordering on rudeness during a cruise; so I took the high road and was able to resolve the issue. The last thing I want to do on vacation is take the focus off of vacation!

Edited by Lastdance

Nonsense.

First, I only dine with those that would not have an objection since I don't dine with strangers.

Second, a snap shot with a camera phone takes a second or two.

Third, once everyone is served everyone can begin eating, they don't have to wait for a picture to be taken.

And exactly how would it obstruct the waiters? Even with a flash, it bothers no one. A person sits at their seat, points their camera at their plate and snaps. How exactly does that bother you or anyone else? I'm not a picture taker.

This is complaining just for the sake of complaining and it is confrontational.

Like like like like!! Exactly! People need to really find something else to complain about! Or here's a novel idea...STOP COMPLAINING!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

Taking a photograph of your plate is not polite. You are preventing other diners at your table from starting their meal until your photograph has been taken. You also may be obstructing the waiters as they go about their business.

I dine with my husband and he feels absolutely free to start his meal. ;)

Flash is often annoying. It is no more annoying in the dining room than it is at the stage show, during cooking demonstrations, or in the art show.

Yes! I wish professional photographs would skip restaurants! :)

Why in the name of God would anyone want to take a photo of their dinner? Beggars belief.

Me...not so much. However, I recognize that people seem to love to do this. Apparently people do it all the time on Face Book and on this board. I do admit, however, that I like looking at the pictures of food fancifully presented. At Christmas, I always view pics of food for presentation ideas. After all, it is true that you also eat with your eyes. It's part of the anticipation leading up to the trip.

Taking a photograph of your plate is not polite. You are preventing other diners at your table from starting their meal until your photograph has been taken. You also may be obstructing the waiters as they go about their business.

Rubbish.

Rubbish.

Agree...[emoji12]..."me doth protest too much"...enjoy your food; take a photo if you like, as it is your food and you have permission! Furthermore, post it on your review; the food police won't stop you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Lastdance

We always do anytime dining sometime we sit with others sometimes not depending on how we are feeling. We rarely have a bad waiter and if we do never sit at one of their tables again. We have rarely had a bad dining experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your pre-paid gratuities cover tips to everyone on the ship....whether you see them or not (i.e., the kitchen staff, those at the buffets, room steward, servers, bartenders, etc) you don't "have" to tip anyone else. Do so if you wish and if that person has enhanced your cruise experience.

Not quite.

The pre-paid gratuities (or the daily charge to your account if you do not pre-pay) mainly cover all food staff and your cabin steward. Bartenders and bar waiters are covered by the gratuity automatically added to your bar bill (or included if you get a beverage package).

And others that are not part of the "everyone" is covered include spa staff and children's club staff. And a number of staff are never part of tipping on the ship, including shore excursion staff, customer service desk staff, entertainment staff, etc.

Not quite.

The pre-paid gratuities (or the daily charge to your account if you do not pre-pay) mainly cover all food staff and your cabin steward. Bartenders and bar waiters are covered by the gratuity automatically added to your bar bill (or included if you get a beverage package).

And others that are not part of the "everyone" is covered include spa staff and children's club staff. And a number of staff are never part of tipping on the ship, including shore excursion staff, customer service desk staff, entertainment staff, etc.

However, gratuities are added to the services that you pay extra for, such as the spa and children's staff. Also, the "others" you mention are not part of the staff that is dependent upon tips as part of their compensation. They are paid on a different scale and you are not expected to tip them

That reminds me of our fist Xcruise. We were at a table by ourselves, and next to us was a 4 top with an older couple and a younger couple. The older gentleman was a food photo junkie and took copious pics of not only his and his bride's food but their new tablemate’s food also. On the first night the younger gentleman had a bemused look of his face. By the next night you could tell he was near his breakingpoint. He managed to remain polite ( I think his wife/girlfreind had her nails dug deep into his thigh ;) ) but looked like he want to scream “What the F***! :eek::eek::eek:

We didn't see the younger couple in the MDR after that.

In your opinion it's not polite, doesn't mean it's true though.

For the record, on our first cruise on the Disney Magic I didn't take a single photo of any of our dinners. I was too worried about "what people might think." Then when I got home and had the photos printed and put into the album I was so disappointed that I didn't have any food photos, so from then on I decided to take photos of our food if I wanted to and if someone didn't like it that was their problem, not mine. :) I love seeing photos of cruise food, and especially enjoy reading cruise reviews where there are a lot of photos like that.

That reminds me of our fist Xcruise. We were at a table by ourselves, and next to us was a 4 top with an older couple and a younger couple. The older gentleman was a food photo junkie and took copious pics of not only his and his bride's food but their new tablemate’s food also. On the first night the younger gentleman had a bemused look of his face. By the next night you could tell he was near his breakingpoint. He managed to remain polite ( I think his wife/girlfreind had her nails dug deep into his thigh ;) ) but looked like he want to scream “What the F***! :eek::eek::eek:

We didn't see the younger couple in the MDR after that.

I would have told the food junkie that any more pictures of MY food would result in testing whether his camera was waterproof. Being polite is one thing. Being polite to go along w intrusive idiots is beyond the pale.

DON

On our recent X cruise I took very few food pictures....I wanted to concentrate on savoring the food rather than shooting the food.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm not a food photographer but your comment intrigued me: Does taking a photo of food remove the ability to then savor that food?

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I'm not a food photographer but your comment intrigued me: Does taking a photo of food remove the ability to then savor that food?

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Apparently it does for some. I have no idea why.

This baffles me; I take loads of photos ... usually of people but frequently of my food, too. I can't say I've ever taken pictures of someone else's food OR gotten in the way of someone eating. Our cruise in 10/2018 will be the first cruise I've been on since going as a teen with my family. I love the presentation that the chef's provide. I take pictures for myself or my social media.

The question: why is this a big problem (and by viewing the many angry posts it appears to be). Am I missing something? I certainly don't do it to make people upset.

Carnival Big Red Boat; November 1993

Norwegian Escape; October 14, 2018 [emoji322]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wonder if it is possible to order an entree with two fish/meat parts from two entrees and no sides. I never eat sides. This way there won't be any leftovers.

It is possible to order an entrée in appetizer size. That way you get to taste more than one entrée.