Do i need rain gear in july/august in alaska?

aloanldy

When visiting Alaska, do you always need to pack rain gear? or is it just certain times of the year?

I'll be heading there late July into August.

Thank you,

Charlie

Juneau, Skagway, & Ketchikan are all located in a Temperate Rainforest.

Further than that, you can look at the historical rainfall & make an educated guess.

FWIW, I will be sailing the same time frame. I'm brining my 3 in 1 - which has a raincoat outer layer. (I'm not backing rain boots or rain pants & I always avoid umbrellas.)

For myself, I would bring the same coat for any Alaskan cruise May through September. You never know when it will rain in a rainforest.

Edited by TheCalicoCat
typo

In a word....YES! You never know what the weather will be like...and you are covering a lot of distance, with different weather patterns. Pack a lightweight, waterproof jacket or poncho. I have a packing list on my travel blog....http://www.zest4travel. wordpress.com We've done this cruise 10 times.

Depends on what you mean by rain gear.

Yes, you most definitely need to take a waterproof jacket, preferably hooded. But a full on rain suit (with pants) will depend on your planned activities and your comfort level. ie if youre doing a lot of hiking, trekking or fishing, rain pants might be useful.

Look at historical data on wunderground ....check each location for 5 or 6 yrs to get a good idea of what to expect.

Most of my trips are late july thry late Aug and i've always had lots of rain, even a snow flurry in denali mid-august.

Thank you for the input. It's my first trip to Alaska, and I want to be prepared for the elements.

If not packing rain boots, will sneakers be enough for walking around and excursions? For the most part I am doing a rafting trip, whale watching, helicopter on the glacier and the Deadliest Catch boat trip.

Not hiking. I did order a packable rain coat with a hood on Amazon.

Thank you again for the input.

Charlie

i also had the same question. I thought about the rain pants...but I'll Just get the rain jacket on Amazon. I purchased a packable down jacket, no hood....it is supposed to be waterproof..but not sure. I saw FroggToggs rain jacket for less than $20. INow, when it rain in Alaska..is it a downpour, a rainstorm or just a steady light to moderate rain. Will we get wet or Drenched???

Most gym shoes now are mesh, not very waterproof in a downpour.

I've only worn sneakers and pr of Clarks walking shoes.

(I also take a pr of flipflops in case the weather is warm.)

I usually wear the sneakers in the wettest weather. You can dry them faster by using a hair dryer, and stuffing paper towels/face cloth in the toe.

Most rafting vendors provide wet suits, mittens, and booties. Check with your vendor.

Now, when it rain in Alaska..is it a downpour, a rainstorm or just a steady light to moderate rain. Will we get wet or Drenched???

It can be all of these! And even in one day. Might be windy as well. Thats why you want waterproof.

Most gym shoes now are mesh, not very waterproof in a downpour.

So buy a cheap pair of non mesh sneakers. Big 5 or Famous Footwear for under $25.

I have been to Alaska twice once in July and once in August... It rained only 1 day and that was in August in Ketchikan .. it's a crap shoot.. but the beauty on this cruise out weighs a rainy day.. enjoy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did a land trip in July where we spent 3 days in Juneau, 3 days in Ketchikan and 2 days in Prince Rupert BC. We had rain for 8 days on that part of the trip. You can never tell.

DON

Our first Alaska trip was in mid August, we needed light rain jackets in Skagway, Ketchikan and Juneau. We also needed shorts in Anchorage and Denali. The year we will be there late May through early June and will probably pack very much the same as the last trip.

As others have said, a rain jacket is a must! If you're worried about shoes, maybe consider waterproof hiking boots or sneakers? I have a pair of Merrell hiking boots that are waterproof and they're great. I know they have other styles that look more like sneakers and don't cover your ankles if you don't want a full boot.

Our first Alaska trip was in mid August, we needed light rain jackets in Skagway, Ketchikan and Juneau. We also needed shorts in Anchorage and Denali. The year we will be there late May through early June and will probably pack very much the same as the last trip.

Would you share what you packed for every day clothing?

The bars and restaurants on the Summit and Infinity always seem to be a little chilly in the evening. Does anyone know if the Millenium is the same? Seems as though Inalways need a light sweater or jacket at night.

When visiting Alaska, do you always need to pack rain gear? or is it just certain times of the year?

I'll be heading there late July into August.

Thank you,

Charlie

I was in AK on a land trip. We stayed in Ketchikan for 3 days - it rained. We stayed in Juneau for 3 days - it rained. We stayed in Prince Rupert for 2 days - it rained. They do not call it a temperate rainforest for nothing.

Check out this summary for Juneau

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/PAJN/2016/8/1/MonthlyHistory.html?req_city=Juneau&req_state=AK&req_statename=Alaska&reqdb.zip=99801&reqdb.magic=1&reqdb.wmo=99999

and also this one

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/PAJN/2016/8/1/MonthlyHistory.html?req_city=Juneau&req_state=AK&req_statename=Alaska&reqdb.zip=99801&reqdb.magic=1&reqdb.wmo=99999

Take your rain gear.

DON

• 3 months later...
In a word....YES! You never know what the weather will be like...and you are covering a lot of distance, with different weather patterns. Pack a lightweight, waterproof jacket or poncho. I have a packing list on my travel blog....www.zest4travel. wordpress.com We've done this cruise 10 times.

Your link is not working.

I was in AK on a land trip. We stayed in Ketchikan for 3 days - it rained. We stayed in Juneau for 3 days - it rained. We stayed in Prince Rupert for 2 days - it rained. They do not call it a temperate rainforest for nothing.

Check out this summary for Juneau

and also this one

Take your rain gear.

DON

I will add that a friend of ours just came back from an AK cruise. We spoke to a mutual friend of this person and according to the mutual friend, it rained every day of the cruise. Don't know how much or how long but it supposedly rained every day.

DON

My rain gear is packed!, I did buy the Merrell's as was suggested. The guy at Dicks talked me into the boot kind instead of the sneaker kind. I hope that works ok. We nixed the rafting in the ports if we do it, it'll be in Denali.

Thanks snowmc I did take your packing list along with a few others I saw. My problem is the warmer clothes tend to take up so much space in the suitcase. I bought compression bags to see if that will help since I don't feel I really need to take two bags. One and a carryon should be enough in my opinion.

Thank you everyone for all your help in planning my bucket list trip. I leave in just over a week and i'm so excited.

Charlie