Internet

I have searched and read many threads concerning RCL's onboard internet. I don't understand most of it ie, jigajoules versus bandwith, streaming and surfing etc. Here is my dilemma; the wife and I are Diamond and will be cruising the Med on the Jewel in May. We enjoy keeping up with email and following news maybe once a day while online. We don't text, tweet, facebook, snapchat, skype or stream. We will only use 1 device (IPAD)......A precruise package is $15.36/day. On my laptop it says that this is 20 or 30% off of onboard prices. It doesn't say that on my desktop computer, and knowing how RCL prices sales, etc, who knows? I think that we might be able to get this further reduced by 20% (precruise? onboard only??) for Diamond status but am not sure. I also believe we get some sort of freebie onboard due Diamond status, but again have heard several versions....1 free 24 hr period or maybe 1 hour free p/p. I have been on many ships where the internet speeds were so bad, we just gave up using it. Based on these assumptions, is it prudent to spend $100+ for 9 days of RCL internet? Thanks in advance from an old fogey who still uses a "flip phone."

I was able to get Surf & Stream for 1 device for $8.99/day. The regular price is $14.99/day. I'm not Diamond so I can't help with that part. Maybe it's more because of your destination? Keep an eye open for sales. I got emails that alerted me back in November and jumped on that rate immediately.

As Diamond members you will EACH get one 24 hr continuous period of regular internet... So with the 2 of you, that will cover 48hrs. Then you can buy a pkg for the remainder of the cruise -unless they run some really fantastic deal on line ahead of time- but most of time its a "mark it up" to mark down "special"...

hope that helps.

You will only need the surf package onboard, which is $13 per day. Your Diamond discount will give you either one free 24-hour period or $20 off a package. I'd use one free day from one of you and buy a package with the $20 off fromt he other coupon.

Based on these assumptions, is it prudent to spend $100+ for 9 days of RCL internet?

No. Use your two D coupons to get Internet on sea days (25 hrs from the time you start) and find free Wifi hotspot in ports (ask your MDR waiter for location)..

DH and I are on the Jewel in May. We are D+ and each of us gets 2 "comp" 24 hour periods - that is from the time you start your internet session. Because I am not familiar with the European ports (ours is a 9 day cruise with only 2 sea days) and I didn't want to spend day time in free internet cafes, I pre purchased one surf and stream for one device. There was a discount price promo that was featured on cruise planner. Even if we had used our 2 free sessions, which would have given us 4 days, purchasing additional 5 days on board would have ended up costing us more in the long run. When deciding what to do, I base my decisions on how many cruise days and which ports. There are many ports we have been to in the Caribbean and are very familiar with where the free locations area. I don't want to be out of touch with family - internet makes things easy.

DH and I are on the Jewel in May. We are D+ and each of us gets 2 "comp" 24 hour periods - that is from the time you start your internet session. Because I am not familiar with the European ports (ours is a 9 day cruise with only 2 sea days) and I didn't want to spend day time in free internet cafes, I pre purchased one surf and stream for one device. There was a discount price promo that was featured on cruise planner. Even if we had used our 2 free sessions, which would have given us 4 days, purchasing additional 5 days on board would have ended up costing us more in the long run. When deciding what to do, I base my decisions on how many cruise days and which ports. There are many ports we have been to in the Caribbean and are very familiar with where the free locations area. I don't want to be out of touch with family - internet makes things easy.

You made a perfect choice for your needs. I (also a D+) would do the same.

I am a Diamond along with wife and two girls. So if I am reading what other posters have mentioned correctly, I will get a free 24 hours along with my getting another 24 hours and so on for each girl. In total I will receive 96 hours or 4 days worth of internet, is this correct?

I normally do not use the internet while cruising however, I am tacking online classes through Champlain College and will have to keep up on some school work. I had to choose the week we did as it coincided with the girls spring break and not mine unfortunately if anyone was wondering.

I appreciate all your input.

Leo

I am a Diamond along with wife and two girls. So if I am reading what other posters have mentioned correctly, I will get a free 24 hours along with my getting another 24 hours and so on for each girl. In total I will receive 96 hours or 4 days worth of internet, is this correct?

I normally do not use the internet while cruising however, I am tacking online classes through Champlain College and will have to keep up on some school work. I had to choose the week we did as it coincided with the girls spring break and not mine unfortunately if anyone was wondering.

I appreciate all your input.

Leo

If the girls have Diamond status then yes - total of 4 sessions - if you all can share on one device then you have more days... each of the D members get their own code. Just remember - once you go on the session the 24 hour clock is running down. Based on where you are cruising there are many free internet opportunities. Just remember on the ship and in ports where you find the crew - the quality of speed is not going to be what you have at home...

If the girls have Diamond status then yes - total of 4 sessions - if you all can share on one device then you have more days... each of the D members get their own code. Just remember - once you go on the session the 24 hour clock is running down. Based on where you are cruising there are many free internet opportunities. Just remember on the ship and in ports where you find the crew - the quality of speed is not going to be what you have at home...

Thank you,

I am just looking to post a few discussion posts for college and that is about it. I will keep your suggestion in mind, thanks!

Leo

. Even if we had used our 2 free sessions, which would have given us 4 days, purchasing additional 5 days on board would have ended up costing us more in the long run. .

A better way to use the coupons is to purchase the remaining days package with the second coupon after you have used the first coupon. The $40 off on the remaining 7 days would get you the Surf package for $51 (7x13-40). Granted, you are getting Stream precruise, but unless you are getting the package at less than $6 per day precruise, you can get a better deal on board.

A better way to use the coupons is to purchase the remaining days package with the second coupon after you have used the first coupon. The $40 off on the remaining 7 days would get you the Surf package for $51 (7x13-40). Granted, you are getting Stream precruise, but unless you are getting the package at less than $6 per day precruise, you can get a better deal on board.

Your calculation of 13 per day is not correct (for me.) (Unless you know something about on board offers which I haven't experienced.) The on board price per 24 hour period (not on a package) is $20.00. For surf and stream it is $28.00. (I like to be able to facetime with my granddaughter in California and the Surf will not give me what I want..) And being in 7 ports in Europe on this 9 day cruise is different than being in the Caribbean where we have been many times and know where we can go for free internet.

Your calculation of 13 per day is not correct (for me.) (Unless you know something about on board offers which I haven't experienced.) The on board price per 24 hour period (not on a package) is $20.00.

You have the right price IF you buy 24 hr periods, but at any time up until two days to go, you can buy the "remaining days" package at $13 per day Surf. On Jewel even Stream may not get Facetime to work properly, but you are correct, you have a better chance with Stream than Surf. Finding free WiFI hotspots in Europe is no harder than in the Carribean - just ask your MDR waiter.;)

You have the right price IF you buy 24 hr periods, but at any time up until two days to go, you can buy the "remaining days" package at $13 per day Surf. On Jewel even Stream may not get Facetime to work properly, but you are correct, you have a better chance with Stream than Surf. Finding free WiFI hotspots in Europe is no harder than in the Carribean - just ask your MDR waiter.;)

As the Italian and Greek ports on the cruise are a first for us and I want to enjoy the tours we are on and the history, antiquity, villages and views, I did not want to spend time seeking out internet locations. So with that in mind, that is why I did the internet as I did. But back in the Caribbean it will certainly be different...