Do UK passport holder need visa in Vietnam

lindyloo17

If so do Princess obtain them as part of the package ?

I've been told we don't need them... that we do need them.

That they are $35 EACH or $55 each !

If we stay on the ship will we not need them ?

Thanks

It's the only port we weren't keen on and now with report of high street crime and possible visas I hope Princess might choose a different port for Feb 2018

Back from Vietnam on the Diamond 2 weeks ago, as I remember the fee was about $3 added to our on board account.

We found Vietnam very safe Ho Chi Minh City was fascinating and a drink in the Roof Top Terrace Bar at the Rex Hotel is a must [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yes you will need a visa. Confusion might be because (as a result of the French not needing visas) EU citizens with passports issued by countries in the Schengen area do not need visas.

The key question for UK citizens is how many ports in Vietnam will you be visiting.

If it is just one port, then get yourself an e-visa, which cost US$25 each, and must specify the port of entry and exit. As their name suggests, e-visas and can be applied for on line.

As I understand it, if you are visiting multiple ports, then you have two choices. You can apply online for e-visas for each port or apply for a multiple entry visa.

This website https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/vietnam/entry-requirements gives you the official UK advice on visas requirements for UK citizens visiting Vietnam and a link to enable you to get your e-visas online.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

To lindyloo17

As I said in my previous post, we have just got back from being on the Diamond to Vietnam,12th/13th February 2017, so this is up to date information.

We should of had 2 stops in Vietnam, Nha Trang and Phu My the port for Ho Chi Minh City, however, Nha Trang was cancelled due to rough seas, so we had a 2 day stay in Phu My, I have just checked our On Board Account details and we were charged a total of $3.

Probably like you we done a lot of research before we left the UK regarding visas for South East Asia and found a lot of conflicting information on the web, so I checked with Princess at Southampton and they told me 'that I didn't have to do anything as Princess would sort it on board', and they did.

We should of also gone to Sihanoukville (Cambodia) and was told that the visa fee was $55 but that this would also be added to our on board account, however we didn't go there either due to rough seas again, so nothing was added, but if we had of gone Princess would of dealt with it.

I hope that this helps.

Back from Vietnam on the Diamond 2 weeks ago, as I remember the fee was about $3 added to our on board account.

We found Vietnam very safe Ho Chi Minh City was fascinating and a drink in the Roof Top Terrace Bar at the Rex Hotel is a must [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Rules change on June 30th 2017.

OP is travelling in 2018 and will need a visa which can be obtained on line.

Don't know why your on board account was charged $3 on your recent visit as, according to official UK Government advice, for travel up until June 2017, UK citizens with a full UK ( not UK overseas) passport, do not require a visa for tourist and/or business trips of up to 30 days.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

Rules change on June 30th 2017.

OP is travelling in 2018 and will need a visa which can be obtained on line.

Don't know why your on board account was charged $3 on your recent visit as, according to official UK Government advice, for travel up until June 2017, UK citizens with a full UK ( not UK overseas) passport, do not require a visa for tourist and/or business trips of up to 30 days.

Well it was, as was all UK passengers on board, probably an admin charge, who knows!

The advice will probably be updated as June gets closer.

Edited by magandy

Well it was, as was all UK passengers on board!

Official Vietnam Gov't site. https://vietnamvisa.govt.vn/united-kingdom-citizens/

No visas between 1st July 2015 and 30th June 2017.

Mistake in my last post as the max duration of a visa free visit prior to 30th June is 15 days not 30 days. Australians on board your ship did need visas and, as you say, one can only imagine that the $3 charge was an admin charge associated with verifying that you did not need a visa.

Edited by Corfe Mixture
edited to catch up with edit in quoted post

To lindyloo17

As I said in my previous post, we have just got back from being on the Diamond to Vietnam,12th/13th February 2017, so this is up to date information.

We should of had 2 stops in Vietnam, Nha Trang and Phu My the port for Ho Chi Minh City, however, Nha Trang was cancelled due to rough seas, so we had a 2 day stay in Phu My, I have just checked our On Board Account details and we were charged a total of $3.

Probably like you we done a lot of research before we left the UK regarding visas for South East Asia and found a lot of conflicting information on the web, so I checked with Princess at Southampton and they told me 'that I didn't have to do anything as Princess would sort it on board', and they did.

We should of also gone to Sihanoukville (Cambodia) and was told that the visa fee was $55 but that this would also be added to our on board account, however we didn't go there either due to rough seas again, so nothing was added, but if we had of gone Princess would of dealt with it.

I hope that this helps.

Thank you 😀😀😀

And to everyone else who's offered advice.

I've booked with TA in UK and they said visas will all change in June 2017 so will have to wait till then. Either way I'm glad princess sort it.

We were kinda worried about this port, however on reflection it's silly not to go and see the country:p

Gee-I do not understand all the fuss-I did not need a visa in 1965, 67 or 72? and I got to see a lot more cities. To be hones, in addition to those "free" trips, My wife and have been back three times with different ports each time :-) .To a previous poster---The Rex Hotel is not the same as it was in the 60's :-)