What is the benefit to packing cubes?

mamasylvia

(hi cruisemom!!)

As someone who travels small and light, it just works for me. If you are a big packer, you might not get the benefit as much.

I travel light (generally 1 carry-on and a backpack) and find the cubes help me to do so. Others, though, will have 3-4 suitcases for a 7-day trip. Neither is right or wrong in their methods; it is just preference. :cool:

Just to clarify, I also pack pretty light. Not in just a carry-on, but I've done up to 4 weeks with one medium suitcase and a SMALL (not suitcase-sized) carry-on.

Maybe my packing style also has something to do with the fact that I'm very picky with my clothes. I don't want to put them into airless plastic bags and compress them. My goal is to fold everything as flat as possible, and I'm very careful. I hang almost everything up when I unpack (short of undergarments and pajamas). But then, I don't normally bring a lot of t-shirts and shorts. :)

Just to clarify, I also pack pretty light. Not in just a carry-on, but I've done up to 4 weeks with one medium suitcase and a SMALL (not suitcase-sized) carry-on.

Maybe my packing style also has something to do with the fact that I'm very picky with my clothes. I don't want to put them into airless plastic bags and compress them. My goal is to fold everything as flat as possible, and I'm very careful. I hang almost everything up when I unpack (short of undergarments and pajamas). But then, I don't normally bring a lot of t-shirts and shorts. :)

Hey now... :)

I definitely do not use those compression bags. I'm a combo flat/roller. I do bring a lot of "t-shirts" that are prints and burnout fabric (not the good old cotton things). They roll great and don't wrinkle, lending themselves to my travel. I even wear those shirts under my business suits during the week. I just don't unpack the cubes. In an emergency (like a tsunami warning where you are told to evacuate NOW), being able to grab the cubes and put them in the bag and run is an advantage...

Maybe my packing style also has something to do with the fact that I'm very picky with my clothes. I don't want to put them into airless plastic bags and compress them.

I can see how the compression bags would be useful and have kicked around the idea of trying them out; however, I would think they would cause a lot of wrinkling, and the last thing I want to do on my vacation (or at home) is iron :D.

I'm always interested in learning how other people pack because I pick up some great tips that way. Can you give a better description of how you pack? Personally, I bundle wrap when I'm traveling to one location (here's a description of how to do it: http://lifehacker.com/301435/pack-like-a-pro-with-the-bundled-wrapping-method), then hang everything once I get there. It is amazing how it this method can save your clothes from being totally wrinkled. When doing a trip where I'm essentially living out of the suitcase, I roll my clothes.

Also, as you mentioned, a lot depends on what type of clothing you are taking. Some things, like jeans and sweaters, take up a lot more room than tees and shorts. (Come to think of it--the compression bags might be good for bulky items like jeans and sweaters. Hmm...) This is where becoming proficient at layering and coordinating really comes handy. My goal when I pack is to wear everything at least once, but probably 2-3 times during a trip.

I'm doing an Alaskan cruise tour in September, and I'm trying to to figure out what to wear for the Gala night, since it is only one night. Whatever I bring probably won't be fancy enough for some people, but they'll have to get over it, I guess. It will probably be slacks that are dressy enough to wear to dinner but casual enough to wear the rest of the trip and a nice top of some sort. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

We are probably the most inefficient packers. We pack all shirts and tops with/on their hangers in his and her suitcases. Once in the cabin out they come directly to the closet. Worn clothing goes on the cabins hangers. We have our packing down to a science after so many cruises. Everything going is lined up in our closet ahead of time then goes in the suitcase in minutes. Only things going in a flat compression bag are undies.

Sent from my B3-A30 using Forums mobile app

Ding, ding, ding! This is one of the major advantages of packing cubes (IMO), especially if you roll your clothing or bundle wrap. I can easily get a week's worth of clothing, a couple pairs of shoes, toiletries, etc., in a 19" carry-on using the cubes, and I don't have to force the lid closed or use the expansion to zip it up. I couldn't believe how much wasted space there was not using them. They increase the packing efficiency of your suitcase.

Dong, dong, dong!

This simply does not make sense: if you were to "...roll your clothing or bundle wrap", and then place them snugly and carefully in a suitcase (without using packing cubes) so as not to leave empty spaces between items, you could obviously fit at least the same volume into a given size suitcase. If you do use cubes, you will be using up whatever volume (admittedly small) the material of which the cubes were made - which could otherwise be used by clothes -- certainly the equivalent of at least a tee shirt or two.

More significant, however, is the fact that it is virtually impossible to have filled cubes perfectly sized so as to fill every nook and cranny of a given suitcase leaving no gaps between them.

There may be valid reasons for wanting to use cubes - but maximizing the amount of clothing you can fit into a suitcase is clearly not among them.

Dong, dong, dong!

This simply does not make sense: if you were to "...roll your clothing or bundle wrap", and then place them snugly and carefully in a suitcase (without using packing cubes) so as not to leave empty spaces between items, you could obviously fit at least the same volume into a given size suitcase. If you do use cubes, you will be using up whatever volume (admittedly small) the material of which the cubes were made - which could otherwise be used by clothes -- certainly the equivalent of at least a tee shirt or two.

More significant, however, is the fact that it is virtually impossible to have filled cubes perfectly sized so as to fill every nook and cranny of a given suitcase leaving no gaps between them.

There may be valid reasons for wanting to use cubes - but maximizing the amount of clothing you can fit into a suitcase is clearly not among them.

Bong bong bong.

Wrong. My Eagle Creek Specter cubes are of a fabric like ripstop nylon and do not have rigid sides. They conform just right. I don't use cubes to maximize the amount of clothing - it is to have things organized and fit neatly into my bag.

Both the eBags and Eagle Creek sites show how to use the cubes to maximize space utilization. Now, this is all predicated on using a standard carryon-size roller bag, not a huge 25" suitcase. Any "nooks and crannies" are easily stuffed with scarves, meds, belts, etc. I can pack just as much with my cubes as I do with my Butler packing method. To each his own. I go for "quality", not "quantity" in my bags ;)

Bong bong bong.

Wrong. My Eagle Creek Specter cubes are of a fabric like ripstop nylon and do not have rigid sides. They conform just right. I don't use cubes to maximize the amount of clothing - it is to have things organized and fit neatly into my bag.

Both the eBags and Eagle Creek sites show how to use the cubes to maximize space utilization. Now, this is all predicated on using a standard carryon-size roller bag, not a huge 25" suitcase. Any "nooks and crannies" are easily stuffed with scarves, meds, belts, etc. I can pack just as much with my cubes as I do with my Butler packing method. To each his own. I go for "quality", not "quantity" in my bags ;)

Even our 'bulkier' eBags cubes form a bit.

Could it be that others aren't realizing that not everything goes into cubes.

Just packed for our three day cruise. Clothes in cubes and one folder. All the other stuff is either in small bags/containers or loose, filling the valleys between the handles. This time I chose to pack in a single 24" case for the both of us. Only one side is full. If I had packed without the cubes everything would be shifting.

Hate compression bags. Sis loves them. She's figured out how to pack them without anything wrinkling.

I'm always interested in learning how other people pack because I pick up some great tips that way. Can you give a better description of how you pack? Personally, I bundle wrap when I'm traveling to one location (here's a description of how to do it: http://lifehacker.com/301435/pack-like-a-pro-with-the-bundled-wrapping-method), then hang everything once I get there. It is amazing how it this method can save your clothes from being totally wrinkled. When doing a trip where I'm essentially living out of the suitcase, I roll my clothes.

Also, as you mentioned, a lot depends on what type of clothing you are taking. Some things, like jeans and sweaters, take up a lot more room than tees and shorts. (Come to think of it--the compression bags might be good for bulky items like jeans and sweaters. Hmm...) This is where becoming proficient at layering and coordinating really comes handy. My goal when I pack is to wear everything at least once, but probably 2-3 times during a trip.

I

I don't know what the name of my method would be officially, but I call it "flat packing with few folds".

I pick a suitcase that's about the right size to hold all the clothes I want to pack without a lot of empty space or without stuffing it. I prefer a suitcase that doesn't taper or have rounded corners. I also prefer a suitcase where you pack all on one side (not a split bag) as it's easier to get into and deal with in small hotel rooms or ship cabins. One final thing a good suitcase should have are straps to keep your items in place once packed.

In the bottom go my shoes and any assorted "lumpy" items that will fit in this bottom layer (for example, power bars, small evening clutch, small roll with some costume jewelry, nothing valuable). In and around the shoes I pack things like socks, underwear, bathing suit, pajamas -- e.g., things that can be squashed without any problem. Then I usually put a folded dry cleaning bag over the top to separate from my "good" clothes.

On top of this is what I call my "first layer." As there still may be a few "lumps" from the shoe layer, I start with items that really don't wrinkle much, no matter what -- like capris or pants or shorts or tees made of performance material. After that layer is in, the "level" should be pretty even, so I can start putting in items that are more likely to wrinkle.

How I fold: I use the entire length and width of the suitcase. Each item is folded separately on top of the one below. (So I can pull out items as needed without disturbing others if, for some reason, I don't unpack everything.) Don't make 2 side-by-side stacks. Fold each item flat with as few folds as possible. For example, pants or capris are folded as if you going to put them on a hangar, i.e., just once at mid-leg. If your suitcase isn't long enough, fold them again slightly at the top to fit. (Don't fold at the bottom where a crease will show more.)

Shirts of any kind are also folded minimally. For a collared shirt with buttons, I first button every button to ensure the shirt keeps its proper shape. Then lay it in the suitcase with the collar in the middle of one of the longer sides. Drape the shirt into the body of the suitcase, folding each arm at an angle to lie across the top of the shirt. Then take the bottom and fold it over the top. Smooth out, and move on to the next piece. I fold tees the same way, as well as dresses (except that dresses usually require one additional fold to fit).

Somewhere in the middle goes my makeup bag (I don't put it on the bottom or top for fear it may be smashed). It takes up about 1/2 of the space when packed open (e.g. two facing sides left unzipped). In the remaining available space I can pack things like a hairbrush, extra toiletries or first-aid items etc. Or if I don't have those, I'll fold just a few tee-shirts to a half-size and put them there -- so the layer stays level.

As you get to the top, it's easier to tuck edges around the "stack" of clothes in the middle, so that's where I tend to put any larger pieces (dress, long jacket, etc.) I will also, room permitting, stash a few flat things along the sides.

In my carry-on I always have my important travel documents, my camera, tablet, Kindle (plus power cords), any valuable jewelry, my 3-1-1 bag a small snack (like some nuts) and a change of clothes.

I looked online but really could not find a photo of how I pack. Maybe I should patent it. :cool: I have very few wrinkles.

Here's one interesting comparison showing that folding is a more compact way of packing than rolling (watch video and read the text):

But note that their flat packing style differs from mine.

Heh, this topic is almost as passionate as the smoking or gratuity topics. ;p

Since this is a packing topic, I do have another question to throw out there to everyone. What kind of suitcase do you travel with--hard-side or the traditional soft-side? I've been using the soft-side for years, but have been contemplating switching to the hard-size because I can see a lot of benefits to them. It almost seems like you can get more into them.

So, what do you all think about the hard-side suitcases--wonderful or hate them?

Bong bong bong.

I think we are actually in agreement - my point was just that, while there may be valid reasons for using cubes, maximizing the amount of clothing you can fit into a suitcase was not among them.

I have many packing cubes, Eagle Creek and others. I am not a fan of the cubes. I don't roll clothes, if they are not of the material for travel clothes, rolling wrinkles them, tee shirts wrinkle when rolled. I pack 3 or 4 tee shirts together, folding them and they don't take a lot of room in my suitcase. I do use the cubes for toiletries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have many packing cubes, Eagle Creek and others. I am not a fan of the cubes. I don't roll clothes, if they are not of the material for travel clothes, rolling wrinkles them, tee shirts wrinkle when rolled. I pack 3 or 4 tee shirts together, folding them and they don't take a lot of room in my suitcase. I do use the cubes for toiletries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rolling vs folding does have to take into consideration the fabric. I don't take clothes that wrinkle with me. I don't do just folders - I also have a nice Eagle Creek folder. The things that don't translate to rolling go in there.

I got sold on packing cubes when two trips in a row, security took every single thing out of my suitcase! TSA dumped it all into a tray and had me repack. At least Royal Caribbean was nice enough to repack it.

I use folders for shirts and pants, and packing cubes for everything else. All my adapters & cords also go in a packing cube.

Precriptions - Packing cube.

Electric toothbrush - packing cube

Odds and ends - packing cube

I can never get the compression cubes flat enough. They are usually fat in the middle and thinner on the edges. Any suggestions?

I got sold on packing cubes when two trips in a row, security took every single thing out of my suitcase! TSA dumped it all into a tray and had me repack. At least Royal Caribbean was nice enough to repack it.

I use folders for shirts and pants, and packing cubes for everything else. All my adapters & cords also go in a packing cube.

Precriptions - Packing cube.

Electric toothbrush - packing cube

Odds and ends - packing cube

I can never get the compression cubes flat enough. They are usually fat in the middle and thinner on the edges. Any suggestions?

Are you alternating the direction of what you are packing? That helps. Don't put all shirts the same direction, put pants in alternating directions...

I use them for organising, mostly. Especially if there is pre or post cruise outfits I want to keep separate. If I drive to port I use a separate bag; if I fly, packing cubes!!

Also awesome for odds and ends, if not clothes.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I've looked at those folders as well (what can I say...I'm addicted to luggage :D). What do you like about them?

Most trips I've been on I bundle-wrap because I'm going to one location and can hang everything afterwards. This upcoming trip, though, I'll be living out of the suitcase after the cruise portion is finished. One suggestion I've read for the folders was to pack a different outfit in each folder, then you could take the folder out as needed. Not sure if it is very efficient, but it is interesting.

Just back from a three day.

One slim cube my CE night clothes, second slim contained my underwear, a small cube held my clothes, the fourth (slim) held DH's underwear. One small folder held is pants and a few shirts. (I use a small FlipFold when packing.)

Various other puny cubes/cosmetic bags/ ziplocks held electronics, meds, and toiletries.

We seem to pack almost as much for a three day as we do for a two week cruise.

I keep seeing references to using packing cubes. Those of you who use them - can you explain what it accomplishes? I've never used them and it looks to me like it would make packing harder, since you have to accommodate different-sized objects in the suitcase. I can see using the packages that compress clothes into a smaller size, but would like to learn what the attraction of packing cubes is.

I love them, I got my first about 16 years ago and have added to my collection ever since. Its a really great way of organising things. In one of the smallest sizes I can pack, 2 pairs of bathers (swimsuit) a sarong, and a sunhat. All my undies into another (it has 2 sides with 2 zips, so you can have clean stuff in one side and not clean stuff in the other) I keep a medium size one for "stuff' electrical plugs, a first aid kit, medicines, pen & notebooks, copies of documents, all those things you tuck into pockets and can never find when you need them.. I get the 'sacks' for shoes.

Surprisingly if you fold or roll things well, you get very little creasing. Now all my friends have them too.

The pro side won me over when you mentioned underwear. ;) I HATE having to rummage through everything to find clean underwear! I have a set on order now. I also might use one to pack for my pre-cruise hotel overnight so I won't even have to open my big suitcase. We'll see.

Other way to use a cube besides just your suitcase:

I use a EC Specter medium cube to put in a change of clothes for post-flights. Nothing like being able to change into fresh clothes after a TATL flight or to change from what you started with at home in the snow to someplace where it is 80 degrees! It's all in one place and I just exchange the new stuff for the old stuff. It easily fits in my daypack.